Russia reclassifies Apple's iPad as a computer, avoiding 5% import tax

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Russia's national customs agency has decided to reclassify Apple's iPad as a personal computer, a change that will allow customers to avoid a 5 percent import tax that was previously applied to sales.

Russia's Federal Customs Service has nixed the 5 percent fee by nixing the "navigator" classification that was previously applied to the iPad, according to Vedomosti ( Google Translate). The iPad 2 has been available in Russia since May of 2011.

The iPad was previously considered a navigation device because it can include a GPS radio for positioning data. However, only the 3G-equipped iPad model includes GPS, while the Wi-Fi-only model does not.

Tuesday's report did not state whether the Russian Federal Customs Service drew a distinction between an iPad with GPS versus without. It did, however, say that "other" tablets with GPS would still be classified as navigation devices and would be subject to the 5 percent tax.

The subject of whether to classify the iPad as a personal computer or something else entirely has been a matter of debate since Apple first launched the device in 2010. For its part, Apple has positioned the iPad as a "post-PC" device.

Companies that track PC and device sales have been divided as to whether to include the iPad when analyzing the PC market. One study released in February by NPD DisplaySearch found that combined iPad and MacBook sales gave Apple a 27 percent share of all mobile PC shipments, nearly tripling the 9.9 percent share held by second-place Hewlett-Packard.

In terms of total PC sales, including desktops, Canalys reported in January that sales of the iPad pushed Apple ahead of HP in the December quarter. But excluding the tablet's sales numbers, the market analysis firm said, would see the sector instead post a net loss for the three-month frame.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    "...Companies that track PC and device sales have been divided as to whether to include the iPad when analyzing the PC market. One study released in February by NPD DisplaySearch found that combined iPad and MacBook sales gave Apple a 27 percent share of all mobile PC shipments, nearly tripling the 9.9 percent share held by second-place Hewlett-Packard..."

and

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_without.html

"Record-setting earnings for the December quarter put Apple ahead of HP as the world's number one PC vendor, with the company's combined sales of 15.4 million iPads and 5.2 million Macs accounting for 17 percent of the total 120 million PC shipments worldwide..."

"...Canalys notes that desktop, netbook, notebook and tablet sales grew 16 percent from the year ago quarter, however if iPads are not included as PCs, that number would drop to negative 0.4 percent..."

"...Tablet PCs are becoming an increasingly attractive option to traditional computers, and the mobile devices accounted for 22 percent of total PC shipments during the fourth quarter of 2011..."

If current trends continue we might be discussing an Apple computer market instead of a PC market within a few years.

Oh, and Apple is Doomed!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Приветствия к нашим братьям и сестрам России.

Smart cookies.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Uh no! Russia just started another war... in this thread.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I wonder if Gartner will follow.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I wonder if Gartner will follow.

What are they going to do about Win8? I don't think MS will break down Win8 for tablet sales unless they very good -and- show a lot of growth potential. I can see the analysts categorizing all tablets as PCs and then also having a sub-category for tablet.

PS: Win8 on a tablet looks great.The UI is responsive and transitions are fast and buttery smooth. It's still missing a lot of features and there is a question as to whether that's an Intel or ARM-based system, why it had to stay plugged in and why it's not shown in portrait mode, but the foundation UI looks good for MS and certainly better than what Android is bringing to the table.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    The only stipulation the russians had was to replace the standard wallpaper with a picture of a shirtless Vladimir Putin wrestling a grizzly bear.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    One of the most corrupt governments in the world. Why should anyone listen to what they say?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    This is probably a move to protect the sales of the iPad by the local carriers that are all well known to be mostly owned by secret investment groups backed by Putin. MTS and the like are having a hard time officially selling the iPad and iPhone when a grey market exist that can sell it for less even adding a premium to already inflated Euro prices. Even in Ukraine I can pick up a iPad2 for only $50 more than that US price simply becuse if anyone tried to sell it for more one always has a friend or relative making a trip in a few weeks that can pick one up. Hard to compete with that by paying official VAT and import duties which sometimes double the price.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    It IS a computer. It is NOT a PC, but pretty damn close.

Hell, a calculator was considered a computer at one time.

It is not a potato.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It is not a potato.

Of course not, potatoes aren't toys!

And then someone links me to this.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Приветствия к нашим братьям и сестрам России.

Smart cookies.

Google Translate is your friend!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What are they going to do about Win8? I don't think MS will break down Win8 for tablet sales unless they very good -and- show a lot of growth potential. I can see the analysts categorizing all tablets as PCs and then also having a sub-category for tablet.

PS: Win8 on a tablet looks great.The UI is responsive and transitions are fast and buttery smooth. It's still missing a lot of features and there is a question as to whether that's an Intel or ARM-based system, why it had to stay plugged in and why it's not shown in portrait mode, but the foundation UI looks good for MS and certainly better than what Android is bringing to the table.

It had to be kept plugged in because it was being run by a water-cooled server under the table. It had to be kept in the landscape mode because it really was just a touch-sensitive computer monitor. MS has been trying to sell vaporware since the late '80s.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

It is not a potato.

Actually, initially, a computer was a person who operated an adding machine.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    In Soviet Russia, iPad computes you.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

Google Translate is your friend!

Bringing people together regardless of race or language, benefit of modern computing and the Internet. (I did check the translation in reverse and so I don't think that I wrote something embarrassing. - native speaker check?)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

It is not a potato.

The closest calculators ever came was to be known as computing calculators. The HP41 was a computing calculator, the HP71 a hand-held computer (running HP's technical basic).

If the iPad is not a PC then the age of PCs is over for a very many people. The term PC is probably irrelevant now. (Sorry, not meaning to fuel the fire!)

All the best.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Bringing people together regardless of race or language, benefit of modern computing and the Internet. (I did check the translation in reverse and so I don't think that I wrote something embarrassing. - native speaker check?)

Nothing embarrassing. Just machine translation and incorrect grammar. The English equivalent would sound something like:

“Salutations at our Brothers and Sisters of Russia”

Not something that a native speaker would say or write.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

Nothing embarrassing. Just machine translation and incorrect grammar.

I had a Russian collaborator once (in science - lol) and did learn some basic greetings.

Thanks for the feedback.

(My translation is Greetings to our brothers and sisters of Russia. Your interpretation is more a here's at ya type of greeting, hopefully still acceptable.)