Apple's third-gen iPad rumored to feature 'never before seen touch technology'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A last-minute, highly ambitious rumor suggests Apple could feature "never before seen" haptic feedback touch technology in today's unveiling of the third-generation iPad.

The claim comes from Pocket-lint, which received comment from a spokesman for the company Senseg, which has built a unique haptic feedback method for touchscreen devices. The spokesman said Senseg "won't be making any statements until after Apple's announcement," fueling speculation that the company could be involved in today's anticipated "iPad 3" unveiling.

Senseg's technology changes the surface of a touchscreen device through electric fields so that a user's fingertips can feel complex, context-sensitive textures to aid their input. It can make a surface feel smooth or rough to the touch based on what is presented on a device's screen.

If such technology were to be included in Apple's third-generation iPad, it would be a major surprise, as Wednesday's report filed only hours before Apple's media event is the first indication of any such feature. Author Stuart Miles said Apple's official invitation to today's event, which says the company has something "you really have to see. And touch" could be hinting at a partnership with Senseg.

Separately, The Guardian also speculated this week that Senseg could be the "touch secret of Apple's new iPad." Senseg officials met with the newspaper in January, at which time the directors said they were talking to tablet manufacturers but would not comment on any negotiations with Apple.

Again last week, a Senseg official reportedly said that it would "be for Apple to say" whether the two companies have established a partnership.

While it's likely Senseg officials are being coy in an attempt to drum up publicity for their technology ahead of Apple's iPad unveiling, Apple has previously shown interest in similar haptic feedback technology for touchscreen devices. One patent application discovered by AppleInsider in 2009 described a dynamic tablet screen surface built on an "articulating frame" that would give users tactile feedback when typing in order to identify individual keys.

"The articulating frame may provide key edge ridges that define the boundaries of the key regions or may provide tactile feedback mechanisms within the key regions," the application reads. "The articulating frame may also be configured to cause concave depressions similar to mechanical key caps in the surface."

But unlike Apple's proposed invention, Senseg's technology has no mechanical moving parts. Instead, it uses an electrostatic field to give users the sensation of textures on their fingertips.

In an interview in December of 2011 with CNet, Senseg's Dave Rice indicated that he was hopeful that his technology would end up in consumer tablets in the next year. But he said the timeline "might extend to 24 months," making the possibility of it appearing at Apple's iPad event today seemingly too ambitious.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    Last hours to get your rumors about the new iPad. I would like to start the rumor that it will have a foldable screen, projector, and include an intel chip so it can run Windows 8. Also, it will have a phone and be renamed iPhone XL.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    New iPad name - iPad Touch!
  • Reply 3 of 129
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Initial thought...

It's one thing to drop trou and sit on the Xerox...

But the same action with the new iPad would be a stimulating experience

• Reply 4 of 129
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The spokesman said Senseg "won't be making any statements until after Apple's announcement".

In other words: we are not involved with Apple or the iPad but if they announce anything like what we're doing we're going to go after them very publicly and try to get a big settlement. And they would be right to do that considering they are shopping their technology around. Personally though I sort of wonder as to the usefulness of this technology in a product like the iPad. It's neat, sure, but ultimately pretty gimmicky.
  • Reply 5 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Last hours to get your rumors about the new iPad. I would like to start the rumor that it will have a foldable screen, projector, and include an intel chip so it can run Windows 8. Also, it will have a phone and be renamed iPhone XL.

Sigh... No one ever mentions ThunderSCSI...
  • Reply 6 of 129
    Would definitely bring more meaning to Apple's "We have something you really have to see and touch" invite.
  • Reply 7 of 129
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I thought it was this company I had asked about the other day when haptic feedback was the subject of a thread. IIRC they released an SDK for Android devices last year. That by itself might indicate that the rumor that Senseg is involved with Apple's new iPad is just an effort to promote their own tech by piggy-backing on Apple news.

There's mention of them working with Toshiba here:

http://www.slashgear.com/toshiba-usi...video-2186559/

Even more convinced now that if the iPad does offer haptic's, it's not from Senseg.
  • Reply 8 of 129

AAPL is up $5 premarket and within $75 of GOOG... Could be a good day!
  • Reply 9 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

New iPad name - iPad Touch!

Yeah, because 'iPad' is not working out for them, lol...
  • Reply 10 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Show me a link to AAPL at that price? I can only find them up 60c
  • Reply 11 of 129
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    A "highly ambitious rumor"?

That is simply embarrassingly bad writing.
  • Reply 12 of 129
    If true, we'll have a new reason to say "I bet you never touched one like this before..."
  • Reply 13 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

A "highly ambitious rumor"?

That is simply embarrassingly bad writing.

lol..

They should just call it what it really is; a stock manipulation.
  • Reply 14 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

In other words: we are not involved with Apple or the iPad but if they announce anything like what we're doing we're going to go after them very publicly and try to get a big settlement. And they would be right to do that considering they are shopping their technology around. Personally though I sort of wonder as to the usefulness of this technology in a product like the iPad. It's neat, sure, but ultimately pretty gimmicky.

I can see usefulness, especially with the visually impared. say you're trying to find an icon, drag your finger across the screen until you feel a rough spot, then you know your finger is on an icon that you can interact with... tactile feedback or the feeling of "textures" is a natural way of knowing what your finger is touching... its like those little nubs on the 'f' and 'j' keys on the keyboard... you dont have to look down at the keyboard to be able to find home row... the 'f' and 'j' keys on the ipad could be 'rough' to indicate your fingers are on the right keys for instance.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Show me a link to AAPL at that price? I can only find them up 60c

I have an Interactive Brokers account .... $536.15 up 1.11 %

No link without login password.
  • Reply 16 of 129

'never before seen touch technology'

• Reply 17 of 129
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:

I have an Interactive Brokers account .... $536.15 up 1.11 %

No link without login password.

Well give us your login password then!
  • Reply 18 of 129
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    How often do these last minute rumors pan out? I seem to remember several right before the iPhone 4S was officially unveiled that did not work out.

Of course, maybe it is wishful thinking, because this feature might tip me over the on the "jealousy" scale. The "geek" factor is off the charts.
  • Reply 19 of 129
    jr1882jr1882 Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Apple's Market Cap is greater.... PEG and P/E are lower than Google.

Better company/greater stock growth potential
  • Reply 20 of 129
    Quote:

Initial thought...

It's one thing to drop trou and sit on the Xerox...

But the same action with the new iPad would be a stimulating experience

It's more likely that Senseg has nothing to do with the iPad and is trying to get free publicity. Just like Proview.