AT&T also teases "exciting" announcement; $99 AppleCare+ rumored for new iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

The only thing exciting about AT&T will be when they announce bankruptcy.

Ohhh please! :roll eyes: If it weren't for AT&T there might not even be an iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    mikepromikepro Posts: 21member
    Well, since Applecare+ covers accidental damage replacements at $49 per incident, it may be worth it to some. I'll buy it for that alone, not the warranty extension. That $99 will give me the peace of mind to use the iPad anywhere without a chunky case, and let me give it to our toddler to use without having to be all uptight about it. Without damage protection, I would have to buy an expensive bulky case like the Griffen Defender to protect it, and that still wouldn't protect against all hazards, like water.

So, whereas a simple extended warranty may not be worth it, getting the accidental damage protection makes it a much more attractive proposition for some.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Ohhh please! :roll eyes: If it weren't for AT&T there might not even be an iPad.

Wait, you're SERIOUS?!
  • Reply 24 of 28
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Give me a break. I talk on the phone and surf a lot.
    • Logmein Ignition - Talk to clients and remote into their computer to fix them.

• Talk to clients and look things up on internet.

• etc, etc

Walking a client through setting up email on his new iPhone and after carefully getting all the settings correct, it won't connect....Oh Yeah....He was on Verizon!!!! Hang up, find another phone somewhere, call me back.

ATT has great service around here so they can keep going for a long time. Verizon seemed to nickel dime their users by locking down their phones and making them pay extra to use the features of their phones. eg to get pictures off the phone, you had to use their paid service to email them. With my ATT phone, I had software that let me copy them off, add ring tones, pictures, video, etc. Verizon charged for all that.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    yes i agree with you 1,000 % but not with the APPLE products;

How would an extended warranty help there?

have you taken a damaged out of warranty APPLE device/laptop/ipad in for repair??

I had my original MACBOOK PRO 2007 give me problem after problem after problem that they had to replace almost every part keyboard and CD/DVD Drive and faulty screen and then the video chip which was a defect finally acknowledged by NVidia (after a class action lawsuit forced their hand and then they had to repay APPLE and its PC's with this defective chip and after each time i took it in to APPLE they never gave me any issue they just replaced ALL the parts over a 3 year period and so i had basically a re-built MACBOOK PRO 15" machine - but at the end of my 3 year plan i just took it in to have them double check it and they gave me a BRAND NEW MACBOOK

the following 8 months i returned it because the replacement wasn't a MATTE screeen like my original and they replaced it again no charge no complaint0 this would have never occurred with APPLECARE (have you ever damaged you LCD on your macbook and tried to replace it at APPLE its $850. >>> its worth it for me- these things are being built in CHINA folks and they ALL HAVE END OF LIFE DATES BUILT in so you go ahead and skip this protection and you will remember me someday trust me.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    have you taken a damaged out of warranty APPLE device/laptop/ipad in for repair??

I had my original MACBOOK PRO 2007 give me problem after problem after problem that they had to replace almost every part keyboard and CD/DVD Drive and faulty screen and then the video chip which was a defect finally acknowledged by NVidia (after a class action lawsuit forced their hand and then they had to repay APPLE and its PC's with this defective chip and after each time i took it in to APPLE they never gave me any issue they just replaced ALL the parts over a 3 year period and so i had basically a re-built MACBOOK PRO 15" machine - but at the end of my 3 year plan i just took it in to have them double check it and they gave me a BRAND NEW MACBOOK the following 8 months i returned it because the replacement wasn't a MATTE screeen like my original and they replaced it again no charge no complaint0 this would have never occurred with APPLECARE (have you ever damaged you LCD on your macbook and tried to replace it at APPLE its $850. >>> its worth it for me- these things are being built in CHINA folks and they ALL HAVE END OF LIFE DATES BUILT in so you go ahead and skip this protection and you will remember me someday trust me.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The reason I do that with respect to the iPhone is that it is my only communications device, I have no other cell phone nor land line. If an extended warranty allows me to get instant phone replacements then I'm all for an extended warranty in this case.

For just about everything else these warranties are a rip off.

How would an extended warranty help there?

In this case $99 is ripoff pricing. People need to step back and realize that is 1/5 the price of a new machine. Considering the device already has a warranty, this is extremely expensive insurance. The best thing I can advocate for is that people take all of the dollars they might spend on Apple care and put it in the bank. Even with today's terrible interest rates it is better use of your money. As a side note there was a time when it would have been wise to suggest buying Apple stock, now most people can't afford that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Oh come on.

I get that.

It wouldn't have. I'm just ... irritated that it happened, I guess.

My iPhone is still functional. My iPhone 3GS, I gave it to my dad, and he uses it to run apps and play music and podcasts. My iPad2 was great, even after having fallen on the sidewalk and getting scratched, until I lost it.

In my experience at the Apple Store, they will help you out, even if you're out of warranty, if they can. Will that change? I have no idea. I doubt it, though.

I had my original MACBOOK PRO 2007 give me problem after problem after problem that they had to replace almost every part keyboard and CD/DVD Drive and faulty screen and then the video chip which was a defect finally acknowledged by NVidia (after a class action lawsuit forced their hand and then they had to repay APPLE and its PC's with this defective chip and after each time i took it in to APPLE they never gave me any issue they just replaced ALL the parts over a 3 year period and so i had basically a re-built MACBOOK PRO 15" machine - but at the end of my 3 year plan i just took it in to have them double check it and they gave me a BRAND NEW MACBOOK

the following 8 months i returned it because the replacement wasn't a MATTE screeen like my original and they replaced it again no charge no complaint0 this would have never occurred without APPLECARE (have you ever damaged you LCD on your macbook and tried to replace it at APPLE its $850. >>> its worth it for me- these things are being built in CHINA folks and they ALL HAVE END OF LIFE DATES BUILT in so you go ahead and skip this protection and you will remember me someday trust me.

and APPLE will not give you a new replacement of ANYTHING out of warranty i've heard this with my own ears..
  • Reply 28 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

the following 8 months i returned it because the replacement wasn't a MATTE screen like my original and they replaced it again no charge no complaint

Okay, so…

Quote:

this would have never occurred with APPLECARE

It sounds like it did. Or somehow you magically got free repairs.

Quote:

ALL HAVE END OF LIFE DATES BUILT in

This is a blatant lie.

Quote:

so you go ahead and skip this protection and you will remember me someday trust me.

Tens of millions of Macs have never had a single problem and continue to work to this day like the day out of the box.