new guy+annoyances with macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi guys, im new here, i just joined appleinsider and i really need to know if anyone has had the same problems that ive had with the basic white mac laptops.

I go to a very different high school than what most people these days are in; i go to a STEM academy in pennsylvania and i use my laptop for 99% of all of my classes and all of my schoolwork (aside from algebra worksheets and book work) are on my laptop and are composed on my latop; so its very important that my laptop doesnt give me trouble and works reliably.

a few months ago, one of my friends put a key in my usb port (for whatever reason, i have no idea why) and it completely f***** up my laptop and made my life hell until i was able to go to tech support to get it looked at.

before the key was placed in the usb port, it was fine and i didnt really have any problems with it, although macs already had an unreliable reputation with me; my dad teaches AP honors physics and makes all of his own assignments, worksheets, etc., and his laptop that he uses crashed at least 3 times and each time he lost at least 2 months of worksheets, assignments, labs, etc that he created and had to redo each and every one of them.

while the key was being put in my usb port (it wasnt stabbed into the side of my laptop or anything, it was just placed in the port) a little pop-up came on the screen that said "remove the device from the usb port, it is consuming too much power". for the rest of the day after i took out the key, i didnt have any problems, however the next day, everything started going downhill.

At first it was lagging, then it started really lagging, and that was followed by the battery losing 70% of its original discharge time (8 hours on minimum brightness, 3 hours on maximum brightness), the laptop randomly shutting down when the battery indicator said that i still had an hour of charge left, the auto-recover function stopped working whenever these random shut-downs happened, and finally, whenever i had a document open on my laptop and it randomly shut down, it was permanently erased deleted from my hardrive (this happened to a 1500 word essay that i had worked on for 2 weeks, and i had to completely redo it)!

the problems with the laptop were its hardrive, processor, and battery.

what annoyed me was that you cant simply replace these disfunctional parts in these laptops; if they'res a little problem like the usb port is damaged, it cant be replaced; you have to replace the whole frickin computer, and this really annoyed me because instead of my friend having to pay only 100-300$ for new parts, hes gotta pay one grand because of Apple's unintelligent design and it pisses me off!

Now, i have a whole new laptop, and im still getting glitches with the battery, and so are my classmates! instead of the normal 8 hour battery life (on minimum brightness; 3 on full brightness), its now 3 hours (on minimum brightness; 50 minutes on full brightness)!

AND its still lagging like crazy!

the only good thing that ive heard about these laptops thats made me happy is that there's a rumor going around that after i finish my senior year, we'll get to buy our laptops from the school for 25$ (were going to use the same computer for our entire high school career), and i know a few friends who hunt, and some of them have shotguns.... guess what i'll be doing senior year

so yeah, has anyone else here had the same and/or similar problems to what ive had? and can anyone explain how the battery life keeps getting shorter and shorter? Thanks for reading this, i know it was a little long, but i needed to ask some people who have more experience with apple than me and my friends at school.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the1stvendetta View Post

a few months ago, one of my friends put a key in my usb port (for whatever reason, i have no idea why) and it completely f***** up my laptop and made my life hell until i was able to go to tech support to get it looked at.

I imagine so. Sounds like it shorted it out or something.

Quote:

although macs already had an unreliable reputation with me; my dad teaches AP honors physics and makes all of his own assignments, worksheets, etc., and his laptop that he uses crashed at least 3 times and each time he lost at least 2 months of worksheets, assignments, labs, etc that he created and had to redo each and every one of them.

1. It's his fault for not backing up. As a TEACHER, for heaven's sake.

2. With zero information about the situation, we can't tell you about it. We DO know that this doesn't really happen with Macs as a rule.

Quote:

a little pop-up came on the screen that said "remove the device from the usb port, it is consuming too much power".

Yeah, he shorted it out. Make him pay for the repairs.

Quote:

whenever i had a document open on my laptop and it randomly shut down, it was permanently erased deleted from my hardrive (this happened to a 1500 word essay that i had worked on for 2 weeks, and i had to completely redo it)!

We're not going to be sympathetic. It's 2012. You NEED MULTIPLE BACKUPS. OS X has a built-in way to do this automatically. There's no excuse.

Quote:

what annoyed me was that you can't simply replace these dysfunctional parts in these laptops;

You can pull out a hard drive lickety-split.

Quote:

if they'res a little problem like the usb port is damaged, it can't be replaced; you have to replace the whole friction computer,

You mean 'fricking', I think. And yeah, what do you expect? The ports are soldered onto the logic board. The port is NOT the problem, the fact that you SHORTED SOMETHING OUT on the board is the problem. Replacing the physical port wouldn't fix it.

Quote:

he's gotta pay one grand because of Apple's unintelligent design and it pisses me off!

lol, so you'll go buy a PC and have the exact same problem. Every single logic board is built this way. Every single laptop is built this way. It has nothing to do with Apple.

Quote:

Now, i have a whole new laptop, and I'm still getting glitches with the battery, and so are my classmates!? ?AND its still lagging like crazy!

Then they didn't fix it. It's quite possible you don't have a 'whole new laptop' then.

Quote:

i know a few friends who hunt, and some of them have shotguns.... guess what i'll be doing senior year

Act like a sub-sentient animal and take your misplaced rage out on something that would happen to any computer of any form factor made by any company?

Quote:

so yeah, has anyone else here had the same and/or similar problems to what ive had?

I'm not sure anyone here has friends dumb enough to short circuit a computer with a key.

Quote:

and can anyone explain how the battery life keeps getting shorter and shorter?

Batteries age; that's what's going to happen regardless of the situation. Unfortunately, you had your computer SHORT CIRCUITED WITH A KEY, so I imagine the battery problem stems from you still having the same broken battery.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    For starters, you should submit your post to your english teacher and have them grade it.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    OK. Apple does not make a computer called the "basic white mac laptop." You have a specific model of the MacBook. It sounds like you shorted-out the USB port when you inserted the thumb drive into one of your MacBook's USB ports. Whether the fault lies with you, the thumb drive, or with the computer itself is an open question.

What is not an open question is that a computer is a very sophisticated electronic device. Like any contrivance made by man, I will fail sooner or later. In you case, the MacBook failed sooner because you inserted what is probably a defective USB drive into it. You have a choice--you may either have the computer repaired, replaced, or you may visit websites and rant. If your computer is still under warranty, then haviing it repaired or replaced may be free. Ranting is also free. The difference is that you have a useful computer after a repair or replacement. After a rant, you still have the same problem.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

It sounds like you shorted-out the USB port when you inserted the thumb drive into one of your MacBook's USB ports. Whether the fault lies with you, the thumb drive, or with the computer itself is an open question.

I think he means an ACTUAL key. For a car or a door.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think he means an ACTUAL key. For a car or a door.

exactly, Also, is anyone here gonna try and help me undertand or am i gonna keep getting replies from spelling nazis?

Tallest skil, that was about 2 years ago when that stuff happened to my dad, he's using an external hardrive to back up his stuff now so he wont lose it if the mac hardrive goes under again. FYI, ive been using PC for years before this and ive never had any problems like this with them. also, the battery that i have now is a completely different battery than the one i had before, the tech guy in our school says that the batteries on these things aren't replaceable; if the battery goes down, the only solution is to make it a desktop laptop or replace the whole computer with a new one with a functioning battery

I understand about how the usb is part of the motherboard; i didnt know this before and i stand corrected; same with the shorting out of the battery. However, how would a key in the usb port affect the hardrive?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

the tech guy in our school says that the batteries on these things aren't replaceable;

Fortunately, he's wrong.

Quote:

If the battery goes down, the only solution is to make it a desktop laptop or replace the whole computer with a new one with a functioning battery

Or buy a new battery.

Quote:

However, how would a key in the usb port affect the hard rive?

Everything's connected electrically. Fry one part and you can be sure at least one other is also fried.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Fortunately, he's wrong.

Or buy a new battery.

Everything's connected electrically. Fry one part and you can be sure at least one other is also fried.

wait, just to be clear, we all know that im talking about the basic white macs that "right-click" with two fingers on the touchpad at the same time, right?

when they took off the cover, i could see that the battery was permanently installed in the computer. However, looks can be deceiving, i know someone in my school who is a computer genius and ill ask him if the battery can be individually replaced.

and can you please explain how the hardrive can be shorted out? i understand how a battery can be shorted, but i didnt know that a hardrive could be shorted as well.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

wait, just to be clear, we all know that I'm talking about the basic white macs that "right-click" with two fingers on the touchpad at the same time, right?

Yeah.

Quote:

when they took off the cover, i could see that the battery was permanently installed in the computer.

And can be easily removed.

Quote:

i know someone in my school who is a computer genius and ill ask him if the battery can be individually replaced.

Or you can just trust us. Step 6. It's the FIRST thing to come out of the computer.

Quote:

and can you please explain how the hardrive can be shorted out?

I'm no electrical engineer. Either the drive was shorted, the port on the board was shorted, or the drive controller was shorted. Whichever way?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

and can you please explain how the hardrive can be shorted out? i understand how a battery can be shorted, but i didnt know that a hardrive could be shorted as well.

I would guess that an "AP honors physics" instructor would have at least a basic understanding of how electronics work. It might be easier to ask that question of your dad (and be willing to listen and learn from his explanation) than to try to explain it to you in a forum post.

(Also: the "shift" key on your keyboard will allow you to type capital letters at the beginning of sentences and when using a certain proper pronoun to refer to yourself! ... It will help you to at least APPEAR more intelligent. )
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Or you can just trust us. Step 6. It's the FIRST thing to come out of the computer.

no offense or anything, but im more likely going to trust one of my fiends here at school (he really is a computer genius here) who i know more than some random guy on the internet, even though you're a member of an electronics forum

Sorry, if if comes across as slightly offensive just recognize that it's not meant to be.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

no offense or anything, but im more likely going to trust one of my fiends here at school

"Hey, just let me put this key here in your computer for a second; I want to see what happens."
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

no offense or anything, but im more likely going to trust one of my fiends here at school (he really is a computer genius here) who i know more than some random guy on the internet, even though you're a member of an electronics forum

Sorry, if if comes across as slightly offensive just recognize that it's not meant to be.

The link he posted was to a video that actually SHOWS the battery removal and how easy it is! (... but you're right... I'd certainly rather trust the kids at your school that stick keys into ports! They're WAY smart!)
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The link he posted was to a video that actually SHOWS the battery removal and how easy it is! (... but you're right... I'd certainly rather trust the kids at your school that stick keys into ports! They're WAY smart!)

not that kid, the guy i was going to ask practically is a computer genius; he hacked his laptop and he knows more about computers than anyone else i know
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

not that kid, the guy i was going to ask practically is a computer genius; he hacked his laptop and he knows more about computers than anyone else i know

Nevertheless, how much more proof do you need that the battery is replaceable?

If your "buddy" says it isn't, yet we have a video clearly showing that it IS..............

How do you "hack" a laptop??? Has the term simply become such a general-use bit of slang that it has no real meaning anymore?

Again... the "shift" key is your friend! ... Your inability to grasp it's use makes you appear stupid and uneducated. You claim to be in high school, yet your ability to express yourself in print isn't even on par with a third-grade student. It's no wonder you go around sticking keys into USB ports.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

EDIT: i didnt mean to post this twice, how can you delete a post?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Nevertheless, how much more proof do you need that the battery is replaceable?

If your "buddy" says it isn't, yet we have a video clearly showing that it IS..............

How do you "hack" a laptop??? Has the term simply become such a general-use bit of slang that it has no real meaning anymore?

Again... the "shift" key is your friend! ... Your inability to grasp it's use makes you appear stupid and uneducated. You claim to be in high school, yet your ability to express yourself in print isn't even on par with a third-grade student. It's no wonder you go around sticking keys into USB ports.

And, again: spelling nazis!

And clearly there's some things that need to be cleared up here:

1) someone i know put the key in the usb port, not myself

2) do you know any STEM academy's that aren't high schools?

3) i dont use the shift key during casual conversations because its quicker to type if i dont, and i figure that people (or at least most of them) are smart enough to know what im saying if i don't capitalize every single "i" that i type

I didnt see the video yet, ill take a look once i have time to and/or when i feel like watching it.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

3) i dont use the shift key during casual conversations because its quicker to type if i dont, and i figure that people (or at least most of them) are smart enough to know what im saying if i don't capitalize every single "i" that i type

I didnt see the video yet, ill take a look once i have time to and/or when i feel like watching it.

This is another thing that you are wrong about. This is not a casual conversation. The people here are trying to convey technical information to you. Your failure to use proper punctuation and capitalization impedes attempts to communicate this technical information.

A word to the wise. You came here looking for help. There are many people here for no other purpose than to help people like you. It is insulting for you then to say that you would rather accept uncritically accept the proven misinformation of a classmate than the proven correct information available here. Make no mistake, you age and that of your friend has nothing to do with it. There are knowledgeable members of this forum who are your age or younger.

Whether you are 19 or 9, you do yourself no favors by the snotty attitude that you have taken.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This is another thing that you are wrong about. This is not a casual conversation. The people here are trying to convey technical information to you. Your failure to use proper punctuation and capitalization impedes attempts to communicate this technical information.

A word to the wise. You came here looking for help. There are many people here for no other purpose than to help people like you. It is insulting for you then to say that you would rather accept uncritically accept the proven misinformation of a classmate than the proven correct information available here. Make no mistake, you age and that of your friend has nothing to do with it. There are knowledgeable members of this forum who are your age or younger.

Whether you are 19 or 9, you do yourself no favors by the snotty attitude that you have taken.

so what you're saying is that the people here aren't smart enough to read something that doesn't have perfect punctuation?

i came here to ask for help on my laptop, because there aren't a lot of people in my school that know their way around computers, except for that one kid i mentioned before.

If i wanted some help with punctuation, i'd ask my dad, my mom, or my english teacher for help; they're much more convenient for me to talk to than people here on the internet, so please just ignore the punctuation ok? its not that hard; my friends type like this all the time on FB and ichat and i can understand them perfectly fine.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

so what you're saying is that the people here aren't smart enough to read something that doesn't have perfect punctuation? ...

...my friends type like this all the time on FB and ichat and i can understand them perfectly fine.

Yes!... Whatever you do, DON'T hold yourself to a higher standard than the people around you! You wouldn't want to wake up one day and find yourself at an advantage because of an attitude like that!

Much better to maintain your current pathetic attitude and conform to the lowest common denominator!... Don't let yourself appear to be smarter or more educated or less lazy than those around you.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Yes!... Whatever you do, DON'T hold yourself to a higher standard than the people around you! You wouldn't want to wake up one day and find yourself at an advantage because of an attitude like that!

Much better to maintain your current pathetic attitude and conform to the lowest common denominator!... Don't let yourself appear to be smarter or more educated or less lazy than those around you.

KingOfSomewhereGay, dont be a faggot.