Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple on Wednesday officially took the wraps off of its next iPad, featuring a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel resolution Retina Display that packs 3.1 million pixels into its 9.7-inch display, along with voice dictation and LTE 4G, coming on March 16 to 10 countries.

Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, Phil Schiller, noted that the screen on the new iPad has more pixels than a 1080p television. Packing in 264 pixels per inch, the pixels cannot be distinguished by human eye at a distance of 15 inches. The new iPad also has a much improved, 5 megapixel camera.

The third-generation iPad also has voice dictation, allowing users to input text by speaking rather than typing.

"The new iPad redefines the category Apple created less than two years ago, delivering the most amazing experience people have ever had with technology," Schiller said. "The new iPad now has the highest resolution display ever seen on a mobile device with 3.1 million pixels, delivering razor sharp text and unbelievable detail in photos and videos."

Key Features

High-definition Retina Display

New A5X chip with quad-core graphics

5-megapixel iSight camera with advanced optics, shoots 1080p video

4G LTE models allow for connections to faster wireless networks

Still offers the same 10-hour battery life.

The wireless models now 4G connectivity, allowing users to connect to long-term evolution networks from providers like AT&T and Verizon. The new iPad will offer download speeds of up to 73Mbps over LTE. International 4G LTE partners are Rogers, Bell and Telus.

Another improvement highlighted by Apple Wednesday was battery life, as the new iPad will support 10 hours of battery life on Wi-Fi and 9 hours on 4G LTE.

It's slightly heavier than the iPad 2, weighing 1.4 pounds. The body is 9.4mm thin.

The launch will be Apple's biggest roll-out ever, debuting in the U.S., Canada, U.K., France, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia. Quick highlights from Wednesday's event:

The new iPad features an A5X processor with quad-core graphics.

Compared to the Nvidia Tegra 3, Apple says the A5X is twice as fast with four times the performance.

The new iPad also has 44 percent better color saturation on its screen.

An improved 5-megapixel camera is on the back of the device. It includes an infrared filter and ISP built in to the A5X chip.

It also features auto-focus and auto-exposure, and uses the same optics system found in the iPhone 4S.

The new camera can also record video in 1080p.

There will be two different versions of the LTE-capable iPad models: one for AT&T and one for Verizon. Both will be able to roam worldwide in 3G.

The iPad can also act as a personal hotspot, if supported by a carrier.

It will also continue to be available in both black and white models.

The iWork applications have also been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display. It will be a free update for those who already own Pages, Keynote or Numbers.

GarageBand has also been updated to add Smart Strings and a note editor. iPads can be connected over iPad or Bluetooth to make music together. Content can be shared and pushed to iCloud.

iMovie for iOS has also been updated, adding storyboards and new editing capabilities. It's still $4.99 and a free update for those who already own.

To take advantage of the Retina Display, Apple has updated all of the built-in iPad applications. In addition, existing applications will be scaled up to the new resolution, and text will automatically be rendered in higher resolution.

Highlighted at Wednesday's keynote was a game from Namco: Sky Gamblers. The sky combat game was used to show off the iPad's high-resolution display.

Also demonstrated was Autodesk's "Sketchbook Ink," a new drawing application that focuses on line art. Using the graphics power of the new iPad, it will allow users to export images greater than 100 megapixels in size.

Epic Games was also unhand to show off "Infinity Blade: Dungeons," a new game that takes advantage of the graphical power of the latest iPad. It features HDR graphics and tone mapping.

The new iPad will be available at the same price points and capacities: $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB. 4G models will be an additional $130 for each capacity.

Pricing & Availability

The new iPad Wi-Fi models will be available in black or white on Friday, March 16 for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model.

iPad Wi-Fi + 4G for either AT&T or Verizon will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model.

iPad will be sold in the US through the Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores, and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iPad will also be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands on Friday, March 16.

Customers can begin pre-ordering their new iPad today, and the iPad 2 is now offered for $399 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi model and $529 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G model.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Remember, that's twice the resolution, four times the pixels. Say it with me now!
  • Reply 2 of 445
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Remember, that's twice the resolution, four times the pixels. Say it with me now!

Hey but that's twice the resolution, four times the pixels
  • Reply 3 of 445
    TEN HOUR BATTERY.

NINE HOURS ON 4G.

That's Apple for you.
  • Reply 4 of 445
    What's the official name? iPad HD or iPad 3?
  • Reply 5 of 445
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Meh

• Reply 6 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NINE HOURS ON 4G.

That's impressive. Got to give Qualcomm the props on that one though.
  • Reply 7 of 445
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    APPLE'S TABLET COMPETITION:

Still.
  • Reply 8 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

What's the official name? iPad HD or iPad 3?

iPad. They've said neither name.
  • Reply 9 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's impressive. Got to give Qualcomm the props on that one though.

Let's see how much bigger the battery actually is first.
  • Reply 10 of 445
    I am really curious to see how the iPad can push that many pixels, especially in more graphically intensive games. Most desktop computers would struggle with that resolution.

The next several generations of Apple products are going to be interesting. Now that resolution is no longer a feature that's worth improving on, I'm curious to see what the next generations of iPhone/iPads will do to distinguish themselves.
  • Reply 11 of 445
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    So it has the same GPU as the PS Vita now, but with half the processor cores, I'm curious if the per-core performance is up any.
  • Reply 12 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

So it has the same GPU as the PS Vita now, but with half the processor cores, I'm curious if the per-core performance is up any.

That's dictation without Siri??
  • Reply 13 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Let's see how much bigger the battery actually is first.

That's a salient point. I apologize for overlooking it.
  • Reply 14 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

That's dictation without Siri??

I assume it's Siri's server-side dictation.
  • Reply 15 of 445
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    I hate the guy who posted the rumor for haptic feedback screens. Now, I feel my enjoyment is spoilt :/

Still buying!
  • Reply 16 of 445
    Nice how they're boasting about LTE, only a couple of months ago they downplayed it...

Sketchbook application demo on right now, hoping they changed the touchscreen ... nope : draw on a screen with your finger with 2048x1536 resolution, yeah right
  • Reply 17 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

APPLE'S TABLET COMPETITION:

Still.

Nope
  • Reply 18 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Sketchbook application demo on right now, hoping they changed the touchscreen ... nope : draw on a screen with your finger with 2048x1536 resolution, yeah right

You realize it's resolution independent, yeah?
  • Reply 19 of 445
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

I am really curious to see how the iPad can push that many pixels, especially in more graphically intensive games. Most desktop computers would struggle with that resolution.

The next several generations of Apple products are going to be interesting. Now that resolution is no longer a feature that's worth improving on, I'm curious to see what the next generations of iPhone/iPads will do to distinguish themselves.

HAPTIC FEEDBACK! TELEPORTATION! iGirlfriend!
  • Reply 20 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's a salient point. I apologize for overlooking it.

8.6mm -> 9.4mm thickness, no deal-breaker with regards to the battery