Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The only surprise to me is the lack of Siri, especially since it does includes dictation, it feels intentional.

Of course it is. Not all iPads have perpetual Internet access. They can't give Siri to half of the models.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Did they just show a bezel gesture ? So finally the bezel is touch-enabled ?

I seriously doubt that. The guy swiped in from the side. You can start on the bezel and do that now.
  • Reply 42 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They are emphasizing the microphone, but never said or showed a sign for Siri (based on the Engadget stream).

The 4 cores should be enough to do the Speech to Text natively. A huge plus for the iPad for writers.

the 4 cores are for the GPU not CPU, which wouldn't have a bearing on Speech to text.
  • Reply 43 of 445
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    I hope that these new gestures in iPhoto for iPad is not the reference to the 'and touch' invitation. I was expecting more. Apart from this, the new iPad is a win for Apple for sure.

There's still a confusion about the name of the device either it's 3 or HD.
  • Reply 44 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They are emphasizing the microphone, but never said or showed a sign for Siri (based on the Engadget stream).

The 4 cores should be enough to do the Speech to Text natively. A huge plus for the iPad for writers.

I don't think processing is the issue. To do dictation I'd think you'd need something good like Dragon. Perhaps erroneously I thought Dragon wasn't feasible to be installed on a handheld.

I certainly hope it's local, as TS point out, not every iPad is connected to the internet, like a phone would be.
  • Reply 45 of 445
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I seriously doubt that. The guy swiped in from the side. You can start on the bezel and do that now.

Ok, still hope so, I've used it on a playbook and have seen it on the win8 arm tablets, and it does give new options for interaction with applications.
  • Reply 46 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm really curious... what the fuck were you expecting?

lower price, lighter in weight, longer battery life, bigger screen, 3D, 8mp camera minimum, hd facetime, maybe an ipad mini *7 inch.

I also for some reason thought we would see them do something like a touch screen bezel with dynamic buttons.

Maybe ipad 4
  • Reply 47 of 445
    Quote:

Of course it is. Not all iPads have perpetual Internet access. They can't give Siri to half of the models.

Kind of lame excuse. All iPads have internet access and most of them all of the time with wifi. You might as well say iCloud is a waste too.
  • Reply 48 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

lower price, lighter in weight, longer battery life, bigger screen, 3D, 8mp camera minimum, hd facetime, maybe an ipad mini *7 inch.

I also for some reason thought we would see them do something like a touch screen bezel with dynamic buttons.

Maybe ipad 4

Are you having a laugh?
  • Reply 49 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you having a laugh?

no I'm serious. Given where other tablets are, I thought Apple would raise the bar that high, but it's all good because the ipad 3 is still a great tablet. I guess I just revealed how highly I actually think of Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 445
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    As I predicted when iPad was announced Apple is making incremental, but useful updates to the platform. They are the most focused and diciplined company on the planet. Adding 4G is probably most useful to corporations, while Consumers will benefit most from the higher resolution display and graphics. Good job Apple. Your competitors are still trying to catch up with the iPad 2 and you've set the bar even higher. This will be another HUGE seller for Apple!
  • Reply 51 of 445
    Okay now Phil's back on stage. Time for 'one more thing'.
  • Reply 52 of 445
    Quote:

no I'm serious. Given where other tablets are, I thought Apple would raise the bar that high, but it's all good because the ipad 3 is still a great tablet. I guess I just revealed how highly I actually think of Apple.

No, you've revealed how outlandish your predictions are.

The week before the first iPad launch, people were screaming for full OS X, a touch-sensitive back, solar charging, and all sorts of nonsense.
  • Reply 53 of 445
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

This will be another HUGE seller for Apple!

But will they sell more tablets than they would have if they had kept the ipad2 and not introduced a new model (a new model with I should expect a lower margin).

we still have to wait for the 'one more thing', probably the ipad2 8gb at $100 less...
  • Reply 54 of 445
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Apple goes after at least 80% of the people, giving them an enjoyable unified experience. I saw nothing on your list that makes the new iPad any more compelling.
  • Reply 55 of 445
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Remember, that's twice the resolution, four times the pixels. Say it with me now!

Resolution can be measured or expressed either linearly (one dimension) or by area (two dimensions).

In other words, it is correct to say that the resolution has doubled or that the resolution has quadrupled. It may make our geek heads hurt because language can be ambiguous, but that's just the way it is.
  • Reply 56 of 445
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    sweet! I'll got the WiFi only version, but amazing display!
  • Reply 57 of 445
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

no I'm serious. Given where other tablets are,../snp

iPad

Where other tablets are.
  • Reply 58 of 445
    And the iPad 2 stays on. Just like we thought.
  • Reply 59 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

But will they sell more tablets than they would have if they had kept the ipad2 and not introduced a new model (a new model with I should expect a lower margin).

we still have to wait for the 'one more thing', probably the ipad2 8gb at $100 less...

Make that 16 GB.
  • Reply 60 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Make that 16 GB.

8GB was always laughable.