Apple will continue to sell 16GB Wi-Fi iPad 2 for $399, 3G model for $529

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

In addition to the new third-generation iPad available starting at $499, Apple will continue to sell the iPad 2 in a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only model for $100 less, at $399, while the 3G-capable model is now $529.

In introducing the newly priced iPad 2, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, Phil Schiller, noted that the lower entry cost would allow more schools, students and general users to buy the touchscreen tablet.

First released in 2011, the iPad 2 will continue to be known by that name. But the new third-generation iPad, featuring a Retina Display, faster processor and LTE 4G connectivity, is simply known as "the new iPad."

Leading up to Wednesday's event, rumors suggested Apple would continue to sell the iPad 2 at a discounted price, much like Apple has previously done with its iPhone lineup. But it was expected that the iPad 2 would have a smaller, 8-gigabyte capacity, so the 16-gigabyte size of the $399 iPad 2 is somewhat of a surprise.

Apple will also continue to sell the lowest-capacity 3G-capable iPad 2. It has also seen its price reduced by $100, making it $529.

The new, expanded iPad lineup will start with the iPad 2 at $399, with the 16-gigabyte third-generation iPad starting at $499. The third-generation iPad maxes out at 64 gigabytes for $699, while 4G LTE models carry a $130 premium over the Wi-Fi-only models.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    That's a hell of a deal. I'll be getting hold of one of these ASAP.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Alright, let's pounce on the negatives...

"Not cheap enough."

"No 3D."

"Where's the holodeck?"

"No serial/parallel/12 USB ports?"
  • Reply 3 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That's a hell of a deal. I'll be getting hold of one of these ASAP.

Not bad considering I told mine for ?350 two weeks ago.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Lucky you! My sister tried selling hers and could not do it! Unlucky!
  • Reply 5 of 39
    mcbridedmcbrided Posts: 12member
    Mine went for $400 last week. I was assuming that was still a good deal because of the bestbuy price drop. Guess I was wrong.

Crazy.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    WHY does the upgrade to 4G LTE, STILL cost $130???

You would think that the cost for these would have come down by now...
  • Reply 7 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Good move on your part... I wouldn't be able to not have an iPad for that length of time...
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMGS View Post

Apple likes to nickel and dime its customers like that, but the strategy clearly works given it's not the biggest company in the world.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Good move on your part... I wouldn't be able to not have an iPad for that length of time...

Actually it's funny you say that, Spam, because it won't be out here until about June I assume, and I wanted to do a sort of an experiment to see what life was like without an iPad after being 18 months with 2 of them.

Update: March 23!
  • Reply 10 of 39
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcbrided View Post

Mine went for $400 last week. I was assuming that was still a good deal because of the bestbuy price drop. Guess I was wrong.

Crazy.

I am assuming you mean good deal for you but not for the buyer? Because sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    And the resale value just dropped $100 for existing 16G iPad2's....
  • Reply 12 of 39
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Cause people keep upgrading year-old hardware and paying the price they ask.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Are you kidding? The analyst I saw said they were amazed the prices didn't go up. The iPad now has a higher resolution screen than my Macbook Pro, a quad core processor, and an 1080P camcorder. Plus what you are talking about is new technology. This is the first iPad with 4G/LTE.

I am fairly sure Apple's margins will be DOWN on the new iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Glad the iPad 2 didn't go down to 8GB. I hope 2012 will be the end of 8GB devices.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Well I can't even get to the site to buy it. So...
  • Reply 16 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Glad the iPad 2 didn't go down to 8GB. I hope 2012 will be the end of 8GB devices.

I hope so, but I can see how the iPhone 4 might live on as a "free" 8GB device come Autumn. People buying that model aren't caring about capacity as much and from what I've seen in the smartphone market 8GB is still holding strong as a very common capacity.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Not bad considering I told mine for €350 two weeks ago.

Same here but last week and different currency. Actually had 5 buyers lined up! Thanks rumor mill!
  • Reply 18 of 39
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Next year will we have "the new iPad" and "the old iPad" now that model numbers are gone?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Are you kidding? The analyst I saw said they were amazed the prices didn't go up. The iPad now has a higher resolution screen than my Macbook Pro, a quad core processor, and an 1080P camcorder. Plus what you are talking about is new technology. This is the first iPad with 4G/LTE.

I am fairly sure Apple's margins will be DOWN on the new iPad.

This is not technically a quad core processor. It has a quad core GPU and a dual core CPU. The A5X would most commonly be referred to as a dual core processor because of the CPU, but I guess you could technically call it a hexa-core processor if you wanted to count both GPU and CPU.

I don't know about the margins. Their cost for most of the components (such as storage) have been dropping and they may have dropped enough to make up for the more expensive screen. Note, also, that 'margin' isn't a fixed number. For most Apple products, the margin at release is at one level, but the margin increases over time until they release a new model.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Next year will we have "the new iPad" and "the old iPad" now that model numbers are gone?

Nah, it'll just look like the iPod touch page does now.