Apple to release iOS 5.1 with expanded Siri language support

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple on Wednesday announced that the iOS 5.1 software update will be available today for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, including expanded support for Siri in Japanese.

iOS 5.1 is not yet available for download, but Apple promised at its iPad keynote that the software update will be available at some point today. Apple mentioned Japanese-language support for Siri, but offered little other detail on the iOS 5.1 software update.

It's expected that iOS 5.1 will update PhotoStream to allow users to delete individual photos stored in iCloud. It's also expected that a new camera slider feature will become available, making it easy for users to quickly access the camera on their iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Yatta!

Happy camper here! The wife, too!
  • Reply 2 of 35
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Besides support for new foreign languages I wonder what else there is to this update. Anything new?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    cinder6cinder6 Posts: 38member
    This might be the shortest article I have ever seen. Too bad the download isn't available yet.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    It's not on iTunes yet. I just get the requested resource isn't found.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    "Releases"? I assume it's not out yet and this is yet another case of AI misreporting?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Agree, if I don't care about Siri in Japanese then what do I get out of iOS 5.1? I'm not expecting miracles, but if they're rolling out a whole decimal upgrade of the iOS (when even the big battery fix and initial tweaks only rated a "x.01"), I'd expect to see some discussion about what's involved.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Agree, if I don't care about Siri in Japanese then what do I get out of iOS 5.1? I'm not expecting miracles, but if they're rolling out a whole decimal upgrade of the iOS (when even the big battery fix and initial tweaks only rated a "x.01"), I'd expect to see some discussion about what's involved.

So you've completely ignored all the fixes and features of iOS 5.1 in the multiple months they've been working on it?

It's not just Siri.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    mfinermfiner Posts: 5member
    Did any one catch when it would become available for download?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfiner View Post

Today, but later today.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfiner View Post

It's available now.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I just hope that we finally get business searches via Siri in the UK
  • Reply 12 of 35
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

It's available now.

I see it on my iPhone now. It lists a bunch of changes including Siri, Photostream, Camera app, battery life and other quality issues.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member
    Well my iPhone 4S is currently installing the update via OTA Software update. Will post any changes. Its kinda shocking apple did not release much information on this update.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    @ iaeen. Where are you located (geographically speaking) that it's available to you? I know they sometimes release it in stages.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

It's available now.

Going down in 3...2...1...
  • Reply 16 of 35
    qith8nqith8n Posts: 5member
    iOS 5.1 now available via Wireless Software update on iDevice. Currently downloading on both iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Ok, I can download it now. Anyone have a link outlining the changes, bug fixes, etc in the 5.1 update?
  • Reply 18 of 35
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member
    It is confirmed that the new camera unlock button is included as well as some other features. I don't have the full list as my iPhone is currently restarting after the update.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member
    Does it now give you Personal Hotspot on iPad 2? Will be mighty pissed if they have limited it to the new iPad.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple actually fixed the Music app in 5.1. I'm pretty happy about that.