Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 241 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

As a side note I noticed and Android blog saying essentially, "We're screwed...." (in reference to Android tablets).

Hehe, yeah I can imagine, the iPad 3 is one hell of a machine. They'll catch up quickly though especially when Windows 8 for arm finally ships. You know what though I still prefer my Asus Slider as my everyday tablet though. Android 4.03 is such a great tablet OS, so much better then iOS especially with the Sliders built in keyboard. I've actually started using it a lot more now that I have to travel for work. Yes of course I still use my iPad2 but just for music creation and a few games and applications that I can't get on the Android platform.

Actually I'm a big advocate of both platforms, they both have their weaknesses and strengths. You can never say that one is better then other as their both really different monsters all together.
  • Reply 242 of 445
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    I guess the iPad name will now forever be "the new iPad". Year after year, the processor will improve, as well as the storage capacity, but the product is now finalized. It will be a Killer ...
  • Reply 243 of 445
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusicComposer View Post

They did mention that the new iPad has more memory than either the PS3 or Xbox 360. Each of those has 512MB so it's possible to say this has 1GB in it.

I don't think Apple ever commented on the RAM. There was a developer who claimed it had 1GB, but not Apple themselves. The "twice as much RAM as the XBox" quote you may be remembering did not come from Apple.
  • Reply 244 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I predicated my supposition on the SoC and the display having the same power draw as the ones in the iPad 2.

It may be that the A5x or the display draws a lot more power, but I'm thinking not. The big power draw on the display will be the backlight, and I'm thinking they are fairly similar. In addition, if these are IGZO displays, it should be a quite efficient display. IGZO has 30% better electron mobility than amorphous silicon. The A5x should also be about the same power as the A5 as I don't think Apple would put in a bigger heat source in the package.

On the other hand, LTE chipsets are known to draw about 2x the power of comparative HSPA/CDMA chipsets. So, yeah, going with LTE being the big power drain is a pretty safe assumption now.

If the WiFi battery performance testing proves to be 10 hours, then it'll be the A5x or the display. Wait and see.

The backlight, the needed GPU boost, etc. are all part of things this new display needs to work. Since the WiFI model still gets 10 hours of usage with a 42.5 Whr battery you can safely say the display path is responsible... not LTE. I don't even know how one can say that LTE is responsible for the extra battery use on the WiFI-only iPad!!!!

Let me come at this a different way. Look ONLY at the WiFi iPads: 10 hours 25Whr battery v 10 hours 42.5 Whr battery. No cellular HW in either of them!
  • Reply 245 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Well then buy one of the OTHER iPad choices with the BIGGER storage options?

Yea but what if you can't afford the larger capacity model, adding a miniSD card is the best option I think. Apple you suck for not doing this.
  • Reply 246 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Basically making total data backups a complete nightmare. I run a 3 line script on my Asus Slider that basicly tars up my home directory, gzips it, ftps into a directory on my server pushes the file, and then closes the connection. All ran from a cron that goes off 3 times a week.

Yeah... try explaining that to grandpa or mom...
  • Reply 247 of 445
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I guess the iPad name will now forever be "the new iPad". Year after year, the processor will improve, as well as the storage capacity, but the product is now finalized. It will be a Killer ...

Like MacBook Pro with a date signifier "early 2011", "Late 2011".
  • Reply 248 of 445
    Correct, it was the guy from Epic Games doing the demonstration on-stage... the Infinity Blade Dungeons. "It has more memory than either the PS3 or Xbox 360"
  • Reply 248 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I have a friend who was at the event and she said that a number of people said it was 512mb. If it was more it would have been announced.
  • Reply 250 of 445
    Quote:

Correct, it was the guy from Epic Games doing the demonstration on-stage... the Infinity Blade Dungeons. "It has more memory than either the PS3 or Xbox 360"

Then PS3 only has 256 right? Oh and the Xbox does have 512mb doesn't it.
  • Reply 251 of 445
    Quote:

I have a friend who was at the event and she said that a number of people said it was 512mb. If it was more it would have been announced.

The same thing happened last year when the iPad 2 came out, wrong information was said. We won't know until Anandtech takes it apart, then we'll know for sure. As a reminder Apple didn't announce the iPad 2 went to 512MB either. All we have is the guy from Epic Games saying the new iPad has more memory than either the PS3 or Xbox 360 (both being 512MB)
  • Reply 252 of 445
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I thought Apple didnt need to boast about specifications to sell its products against companies who use Android?

I thought the usability is what is going to sell their products?

Why is Apple boasting about...... specifications?

My only gripe was when they compared it to the Xbox. I thought it was dumb and way out of left field. If Apple thinks the iPad is even in the same league as Xbox or PS3 when it comes to gaming they are kidding themselves. It is a completely different market. No one ever said, "Gee, I guess I won't get Xbox. I'll get an iPad instead!" If they did, they're not a gamer. Their comment that gamers prefer the iPad is laughable. Maybe casual gamers, not true gamers. So comparing it to the Wii would have been fitting, and more appropriate since Nintendo has been far more harsh toward iOS than Microsoft (MS has even made an iOS game for crying outloud).

I love my iPad but I love my Xbox as well. Apple needs to stop pretending they are a hardcore gaming company. The new iPad is an incredible device, but it isn't the be all end all device that makes you throw away every other electronic device you own.

The Xbox comment was either marketing run amuck or Apple kidding themselves. Not sure which.
  • Reply 253 of 445
    Quote:

Then PS3 only has 256 right? Oh and the Xbox does have 512mb doesn't it.

The PS3 has it's memory split up into 256MB for the system and 256MB for the GPU while the Xbox 360 has it's memory in a pool of 512MB to share.
  • Reply 254 of 445
    Underwhelming! I will wait for a tablet with windows 8 and those specs!!
  • Reply 255 of 445
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What you can do is compare the iPad 3 on LTE to the iPad 3 on 3G. Same screen, same battery, same processor. Running on 3G, you get 10 hours. Running on LTE, you get 9.

Who said this?

The only thing we know is 10 hours of web browsing, watching video or listening to music on WiFi, and, 9 hours of web browsing on cellular, which we presume is LTE. Nobody has quoted a 2012 iPad battery performance number while on HSPA.

Obviously the "listening to music" thing is quite the lowball unless a visualizer was running at the same time instead of the screen being off.

Quote:

Sounds to me like LTE is not killing battery life as the two of you keep asserting.

It's got a 42 WHr battery. The 2011 iPad has a 25 WHr battery. We can agree that the 2012 iPad is drawing 1.7x more power while using Apple's battery performance benchmark. Some are saying it is LTE. Some are saying it is the display. Maybe some are saying it is the A5x. You can take you pick on what is drawing that much more power. Maybe it is all three.

By far the safest bet on what is causing the need for a 42 WHr battery is LTE.
  • Reply 256 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... try explaining that to grandpa or mom...

Gosh I hate that excuse, but let's forget about the computer illiterate for right now I'm wondering about corporations and power users. Look Apple even said it themselves that the iPad is out selling their computers and even PCs so why not make it more powerful then a OS that only belongs on a phone.

Yes, yes people are buying them by the butt loads regardless of how neutered the OS is. However until iOS is more like OSX I will just use my iPad2 as it was intended, a toy for media consumption and will continue using my Asus Slider with Android 4.03 for work.
  • Reply 257 of 445
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I thought Apple didnt need to boast about specifications to sell its products against companies who use Android?

I thought the usability is what is going to sell their products?

Why is Apple boasting about...... specifications?

Uh . . . Apple is going to talk about the new features of their product. Which also happens to include a spec bump.

But yes, you're essentially correct: Apple's is the most usable tablet on the market.
  • Reply 258 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple reports returns in their investor reports? Where?

Apple says that in most instances shipped equals sold as far as they're concerned, but you already knew that.

1) Apple reports "Net" Sales. You are welcome to figure out what that means.

2) Where does "....Apple say in most instances shipped equals sold"? Care to provide a cite/link?
  • Reply 259 of 445
    Quote:

The same thing happened last year when the iPad 2 came out, wrong information was said. We won't know until Anandtech takes it apart, then we'll know for sure. As a reminder Apple didn't announce the iPad 2 went to 512MB either. All we have is the guy from Epic Games saying the new iPad has more memory than either the PS3 or Xbox 360 (both being 512MB)

Yea your right, and we should also find out how fast the cpu is clocked at the same time or do you already know that.
  • Reply 260 of 445
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

Underwhelming! I will wait for a tablet with windows 8 and those specs!!

Biz if you continued to Troll you WILL get a timeout. Throttle back the Trolling. It's ok to be a dissenting opinion if you can articulate your posting but a mere "underwhelming" is trolling. Cheers.