Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 261 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yea your right, and we should also find out how fast the cpu is clocked at the same time or do you already know that.

I don't think anyone will know more factual information until next week when someone can do a teardown and run a few tests. From now until then everything will be speculation.
  • Reply 262 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Biz if you continued to Troll you WILL get a timeout. Throttle back the Trolling. It's ok to be a dissenting opinion if you can articulate your posting but a mere "underwhelming" is trolling. Cheers.

If I had made multiple posts then it might be trolling. I have used the beta of 8 and think it is better. Just the usual heavy hands of apple fanboys that cannot take dissension I will move along rather than point out the disappointments as I will be attacked.
  • Reply 263 of 445
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Who said this?

The only thing we know is 10 hours of web browsing, watching video or listening to music on WiFi, and, 9 hours of web browsing on cellular, which we presume is LTE. Nobody has quoted a 2012 iPad battery performance number while on HSPA.

Obviously the "listening to music" thing is quite the lowball unless a visualizer was running at the same time instead of the screen being off.

That makes my point even stronger. If it's 10 hours when not using the radio and 9 hours when using LTE, then LTE clearly can't be all that much worse than 3G.

Quote:

It's got a 42 WHr battery. The 2011 iPad has a 25 WHr battery. We can agree that the 2012 iPad is drawing 1.7x more power while using Apple's battery performance benchmark. Some are saying it is LTE. Some are saying it is the display. Maybe some are saying it is the A5x. You can take you pick on what is drawing that much more power. Maybe it is all three.

By far the safest bet on what is causing the need for a 42 WHr battery is LTE.

Then explain how they get 10 hours when not using LTE and 9 hours when using LTE? Obviously, LTE can't be the cause for them needing 70% more battery power.

Try to think about it logically. Let's say that the 3G radio uses zero power at all (obviously not real, but it's the worst case). If the iPad 3 gets 10 hours without LTE and 9 hours with LTE, then LTE can't be more than 10% of the total power budget. That would mean that the majority of that 70% increase in battery size is due to the display and the CPU.
  • Reply 264 of 445
    igorsovaigorsova Posts: 24member
    So.... it's iPad 2s. Still dual-core, probably still 512 MB RAM.

I believe now it will be safe to presume no quad-core inside the next iPhone.

It feels like Apple run out of battery behind it's innovation engine.
  • Reply 265 of 445
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) Apple reports "Net" Sales. You are welcome to figure out what that means.

2) Where does "....Apple say in most instances shipped equals sold"? Care to provide a cite/link?

I agree. I've never heard Apple say anything but "sold". They leave the much more spineless "shipped" for other manufacturers that aren't as proud of their actual sales numbers.
  • Reply 266 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

If I had made multiple posts then it might be trolling.

Multiple posts would be spamming. Trolling is ANY post that exists for the purpose of being inflammatory or contradictory for contradiction's sake.

Quote:

Just the usual heavy hands of apple fanboys?

We don't use that term here.

Quote:

?that cannot take dissension I will move along rather than point out the disappointments as I will be attacked.

It's not that we can't take it, it's that you're completely wrong and would do well to stop the nonsense. You're being snickered at, not taken seriously.
  • Reply 267 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorsova View Post

Most likely 1GB. Need it for the display.

Quote:

I sure hope it's dual-core and not quad-core because I want a faster system that uses less battery, not a slower system that uses more battery.

Quote:

They stuck in 3.1 million pixel into a 9.7" display with 10 hours of battery life. They aren't innovating at all¡
  • Reply 268 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Who said this?

The only thing we know is 10 hours of web browsing, watching video or listening to music on WiFi, and, 9 hours of web browsing on cellular, which we presume is LTE. Nobody has quoted a 2012 iPad battery performance number while on HSPA.

Obviously the "listening to music" thing is quite the lowball unless a visualizer was running at the same time instead of the screen being off.

It's got a 42 WHr battery. The 2011 iPad has a 25 WHr battery. We can agree that the 2012 iPad is drawing 1.7x more power while using Apple's battery performance benchmark. Some are saying it is LTE. Some are saying it is the display. Maybe some are saying it is the A5x. You can take you pick on what is drawing that much more power. Maybe it is all three.

By far the safest bet on what is causing the need for a 42 WHr battery is LTE.

Seriously, Dude, get your grey matter working. It's 10 hours without any cellular chips installed, much less used... yet only 1 hour less, same as with the previous iPad, for using cellular connectivity. That points to something they have in common across both model types. Possibly something to do with the 2048x1536 display? That's crazy talk¡
  • Reply 269 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

It's still the fastest Arm tablet on the market regardless if it doesn't have a quad core. I think people get to overwhelmed with all this tech hype. Let's face it do you really understand the differences between the technologies that goes into making one of these chips. No you most likely do not, you look down on your hand and you see 4 fingers is more then 2 fingers and then you assume more is better. The new TI S4 dual core cpu has been getting consistently better benchmarks then the Nvidia Tegra3 with a quad core. These two chips have been released and are on the market go look for yourself.

Apples new iPad 3 is the most state of the art tablet ever produced.
  • Reply 270 of 445
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then explain how they get 10 hours when not using LTE and 9 hours when using LTE? Obviously, LTE can't be the cause for them needing 70% more battery power.

Like I said earlier, Apple could be lowballing the WiFi benchmark. 10 hrs appears to be one of those magic numbers to Apple, and they may not want to over advertise the number (ie, quote a 15 hr number) to protect their future products.

And like I said earlier, if the WiF battery performance testing shows it is indeed 10 hours, than Apple is using an LTE radio with the same power draw as HSPA radios today and it is either the A5x or the display causing the increased power draw.

I however am skeptical about this. It seems like a very poor design choice to use a display or a SoC that is almost 2x the power draw.
  • Reply 271 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Really!? Because of RAM?

The phrase "innovation engine" must mean something else where you live.
  • Reply 272 of 445
    Quote:

If I had made multiple posts then it might be trolling. I have used the beta of 8 and think it is better. Just the usual heavy hands of apple fanboys that cannot take dissension I will move along rather than point out the disappointments as I will be attacked.

Oh man Windows 8 is all over the place, talk about having a multi personality disorder. It wouldn't be so awful if they would have chosen one desktop but now you have two and you bounce back and forth so much I get a a headache just thinking about working in that environment. I say good luck with your new choice of tablet OS and don't forget to buy lots of aspiran because you are going to need it.

Start in Metro, launch Google Chrome -> Classic, check emails -> Metro, play Modern Warfare 3 -> Classic, instant messaging -> Metro. Back and forth, back and forth, blaaaghgblaaahghg, oh excuse me I need to brush my teeth.
  • Reply 273 of 445
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

1) Apple reports "Net" Sales. You are welcome to figure out what that means.

2) Where does "....Apple say in most instances shipped equals sold"? Care to provide a cite/link?

Aren't you an Apple shareholder? Did you ever look at the 10-K?

“(Apple) recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of (Apple)’s product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped."
  • Reply 274 of 445
    core2core2 Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I also for some reason thought we would see them do something like a touch screen bezel with dynamic buttons.

Ok so as soon as you indicate dynamic buttons, they are just a boarder on the screen itself, why would anyone want to waste pixel real estate for a dedicated button space. I have the Nexus Prime and the buttons are dynamic but they are just a dedicated part of the screen , really , why waste the space that an application could have taken advantage of otherwise.
  • Reply 275 of 445
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

It's still the fastest Arm tablet on the market regardless if it doesn't have a quad core. I think people get to overwhelmed with all this tech hype. Let's face it do you really understand the differences between the technologies that goes into making one of these chips. No you most likely do not, you look down on your hand and you see 4 fingers is more then 2 fingers and then you assume more is better. The new TI S4 dual core cpu has been getting consistently better benchmarks then the Nvidia Tegra3 with a quad core. These two chips have been released and are on the market go look for yourself.

Apples new iPad 3 is the most state of the art tablet ever produced.

Krait cpu the a5x is not.

Imagine a quad core krait cpu. Wait that's S4 Pro.
  • Reply 276 of 445
    Quote:

Really!? Because of RAM?

The phrase "innovation engine" must mean something else where you live.

Sounds like something you would find on the floor of Willy Wonkas factory.
  • Reply 277 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Underwhelming! I will wait for a tablet with windows 8 and those specs!!

...Until the twelfth of Never... And that's a long, long time...
  • Reply 278 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Krait cpu the a5x is not.

Imagine a quad core krait cpu. Wait that's S4 Pro.

I was comparing the S4 to Nvidia Tegra3 not Apples A5x, please read my post again.

• Reply 279 of 445
    igorsovaigorsova Posts: 24member
    Quote:

and then you assume

Please stop assuming for other people. It looks really silly.

anantksundaram, I live in London, so probably you're right, and it does mean something else.
  • Reply 280 of 445
    Quote:

Please stop assuming for other people. It looks really silly.

anantksundaram, I live in London, so probably you're right, and it does mean something else.

I assume that my assumptions are better at assuming.