Does iPad 3 work with iPad 1 Case and Stand?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I have an iPad 1 and skipped the iPad 2 but am upgrading to the iPad 3. I plan to buy a new screen protector for my iPad 3 but also, there are two items I'd like to use from my iPad 1 with the iPad 3.

The first is a case that's made by Monaco. It's a leather book type case that the iPad fits in and it covers it up.

The second accessory is an iPad 1 stand made by AiData. It is a stand that sits on a desk and holds the iPad.

I have read many articles today about the iPad 3 and some are talking about upgrading from the iPad 2 and if it works with the same accessories. I know from what I read the iPad 2 was said not to work with the accessories I have but does anyone know what the dimensions and size of the iPad 3 are vs. the iPad 1 and if it would work with these accessories?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Dimensions are available on Apple's site. (for the 2 and the New.)

But the incompatibility of many "1" cases and stands with the "2" was due to the edge taper... and it would appear that the taper on the "New" is similar to that on the "2".

If your accessories require the proper edge taper to fit securely, then I'd guess they won't work with the "New".

(I know that the cheap stand I used on the "1" did not hold the "2" securely ... neither did the "2" fit securely in the folio case designed for the "1".)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The three will be too thin for the case, but the stand will be okay, probably.

The thing about the iPad 2 is it's too thin to safely stand in an iPad Dock or Keyboard Dock. I just feel uneasy putting one there because I feel like it's going to snap off backward. Since the 3 is thicker, it might sit more safely in the Dock.