Apple teases there is 'a lot to look forward to' in 2012

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

During Wednesday's keynote, Apple CEO Tim Cook teased that the company is "just getting started" in 2012, noting that customers have "a lot to look forward to" this year.

Cook wrapped up his presentation at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., by calling attention to Apple's innovation and hinting at what's to come.

"Only Apple could deliver this kind of innovation in such a beautiful, integrated and easy to use way. It's what we stand for," he said of the new iPad. "And across the year, you're going to see a lot more of this kind of innovation. We are just getting started."

To emphasize his point, he showed a slide with an image of a horizon, the year 2012 and the words "There's a lot to look forward to."

Arguably the most-anticipated product rumored to be in Apple's 2012 product roadmap is a connected television set. One analyst claims such a device could arrive as early as mid-2012. He is in the minority, though, as a number of prognosticators believe Apple is preparing to launch an HDTV no earlier than 2013. It has, however, been suggested by multiple sources that the company could announce the product later this year ahead of a 2013 release.

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs indicated to his biographer before he died that he had wanted to reinvent the television. Author Walter Isaacson even hinted that Jobs had revealed details about future products possibly related to the television industry, but he declined to disclose them as he didn't feel it was fair to the company.

Jobs' comments have fueled speculation that Apple is working on a full-sized television. Multiple reports (1, 2) have claimed that Apple has already built prototypes of the so-called "iTV."

Apple is also expected to radically redesign its MacBook Pro lineup this year. AppleInsider reported last month that Apple is planning to release 15-inch and 17-inch laptops that will draw upon design choices currently found in 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air models. The new laptops will likely feature Intel's Ivy Bridge microarchitecture and may even sport improved display resolutions.

An illustration of Apple's notebook lineup planned for the 2012 calendar year.

The unveiling of Apple's first LTE device on Wednesday has also rekindled speculation that the sixth-generation iPhone will also include 4G connectivity. The next-gen handset is expected to arrive later this year, with one report claiming it will launch in the third quarter of 2012. It will also reportedly be "slimmer" and work across all 3G and LTE "network flavors." Given that Apple has dropped the numbered naming system for the new iPad, pundits now anticipate that Apple will also adopt its simplified naming scheme for the iPhone as well, potentially calling a new handset just "iPhone."

A particularly ambitious rumor from late last year claimed that Apple will overhaul all of its product lines this calendar year. Some have pointed out that Apple's 2011 was uncharacteristically uneventful from a product design standpoint, with mostly incremental updates to the company's existing offerings. As a result, their expectations for Apple appear to be running unusually high this year.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    where is ma 15" MBA?
  • Reply 2 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That teaser isn't anything about Macs or other expanded/updated products.

It's just a vague gesture at the iPad. Don't read into it.

"2007 is the year of the Mac." It wasn't the year of the Mac by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Need a Mac Pro
  • Reply 4 of 83
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    TRANSLATION: Apple knows about the end of the world and isn't telling us!!!!!

• Reply 5 of 83
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    he's just trying to cheer people up before the world ends in december.

i'm still waiting for the day that we get iOS/siri in-dash systems for vehicles.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "Only Apple could deliver this kind of innovation in such a beautiful, integrated and easy to use way. It's what we stand for," (Tim Cook) said ...

I am losing faith myself.

After looking at Apple TV's new UI and then downloading the new iPhoto for iOS, it's pretty clear that whomever is in charge of the "beautiful" part at Apple these days is asleep at the switch.

I know it's an easy and trite thing to say, but I'm almost certain that neither of those products would have been okayed if Steve was still alive.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

After looking at Apple TV's new UI and then downloading the new iPhoto for iOS, it's pretty clear that whomever is in charge of the "beautiful" part at Apple these days is asleep at the switch.

I know it's an easy and trite thing to say, but I'm almost certain that neither of those products would have been okayed if Steve was still alive.

Man, the Apple TV icon UI looks like some android abomination. iOS has a lovely detailed set of icons htat look good. These things look bleh.

and iPhoto. I have long wondered who at apple has the shelf fetish. Between the iBooks, iTunesU, the new iphoto and that goddamn abomination that I wish I could get rid of, or stick in another folder, Newstand.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That teaser isn't anything about Macs or other expanded/updated products.

It's just a vague gesture at the iPad. Don't read into it.

I think last year they said something similar

Quote:

"2007 is the year of the Mac." It wasn't the year of the Mac by any stretch of the imagination.

Wasn't 2005 the year of HD? Looks like that is finally 2012 if my predictions about HiDPI Macs is correct.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think last year they said something similar

Wasn't 2005 the year of HD? Looks like that is finally 2012 if my predictions about HiDPI Macs is correct.

I wouldn't look for it beyond the laptop lineup (if that) unless the imacs shrink. The iphone/ipad are the devices where I could see specialized parts. Outside of that, it seems less likely. Remember they're still just using the mid to high end of what is available from TN panel technology. It's likely to be leveraged upward given what they learn in producing such densely packed displays. I'm not expecting much beyond the Air personally. People forget that it's not Apple that designs the underlying panel technology.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I wouldn't look for it beyond the laptop lineup (if that) unless the imacs shrink. The iphone/ipad are the devices where I could see specialized parts. Outside of that, it seems less likely. Remember they're still just using the mid to high end of what is available from TN panel technology. It's likely to be leveraged upward given what they learn in producing such densely packed displays. I'm not expecting much beyond the Air personally. People forget that it's not Apple that designs the underlying panel technology.

I'd expect the notebooks first. It's the physics of the machinery. HiDPI displays were possible in very small displays for years before we say it in the iPhone 4. But now that it's possible in the iPad it migh be getting close for Mac notebooks. The 11" MBA certainly isn't too far off that.

The big issue is still power drain. The iPad went from a 25 Whr battery to 42.5 Whrs. The 11" MBA has a 35 Whr battery and the 13" MBA a 50 Whr battery. That's why I think this tech will jump those machines and go to the MBPs first. They have larger batteries and more room for an even larger battery... especially when you get rid of that ODD.

Now I'd love to get rid of TN in place of IPS but I think HiDPI would be the better choice if you can only have one of the other. If they go with TN when they make this move that would at least be easier on the battery than IPS. Still, I'm thinking that Apple's proficiency and investment in IPS panels means they will likely offer us IPS too, which I ope comes in a couple month with redesigned MBPs.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    Quote:

The big issue is still power drain. The iPad went from a 25 Whr battery to 42.5 Whrs. The 11" MBA has a 35 Whr battery and the 13" MBA a 50 Whr battery. That's why I think this tech will jump those machines and go to the MBPs first. They have larger batteries and more room for an even larger battery... especially when you get rid of that ODD.

See, if we get Retina Macs at the same time as we get Haswell, we'll be able to keep the same batteries and still have BETTER battery life nearly twice over.

If you believe what Haswell's supposed to bring to the table, that is.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, if we get Retina Macs at the same time as we get Haswell, we'll be able to keep the same batteries and still have BETTER battery life nearly twice over.

If you believe what Haswell's supposed to bring to the table, that is.

I am expecting it with Ivy Bridge. Haswell isn't expected to be out until late 2013.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It has, however, been suggested by multiple sources that the company could announce the product later this year ahead of a 2013 release.

Holiday season would be the ideal release time for such a product. Which would be q1 of fiscal 2013.

Announce in oct, release in November perhaps
  • Reply 14 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

For all we know the apple tv is exactly the 'simplest' interface that Steve said he had cracked.

And iPhoto might have been a Steve product as well. We simply don't know

Also, beautiful is subjective. So the issue isn't really that it isn't beautiful. It just isn't your definition
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:

I am expecting it with Ivy Bridge. Haswell isn't expected to be out until late 2013.

Exactly. Thinking we'd get Retina Macs this year is a pipe dream at best.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    How about my new MacPro's Timothy
  • Reply 17 of 83
    GEEZZZZ FOLKS LETS GET A GRIP OR GO AWAY.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:

• Reply 19 of 83
    Did anyone catch the rainbow Apple logo Tim threw up at the very end. Was he just trying that on for size? Hmm. Maybe a reminder to those struggling from hate that it doesn't matter if you're gay, you too can be CEO of the largest company in the world.

A stretch? Probably.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

TRANSLATION: Apple knows about the end of the world and isn't telling us!!!!!

The end of the world is nothing to look forward to!!