Apple releases iOS 5.1 with lock screen camera access, PhotoStream pic delete option

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I was about to ask that...I can see how that's a good thing though to people who don't have shared PCs...

my friend (a girl...a hot girl) was hesitant on photostream because while she wants her lil sexy pics to be synced back home she doesn't want them to stay on her iPhone...now with iOS 5.1 she can get both...

OK. Figured it out. You need to toggle photostream off and then on again to activate this for old photos. Seems to work without the toggle for new photos.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    chrisdfchrisdf Posts: 29member
    What's up with the 4G icon??
  • Reply 23 of 47
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rare comment View Post

what was changed on the music app? couldn't find it (hope it's a fix to the random drop-outs and stalls with match).

With iOS 5, Music app has become little sluggish comparing to the earlier version. It was also crashing when using the cover flow. So they have fixed these problems.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisdf View Post

What's up with the 4G icon??

Very interesting things.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

With iOS 5, Music app has become little sluggish comparing to the earlier version. It was also crashing when using the cover flow. So they have fixed these problems.

They did take my bug report and fix the shuffle and repeat icons so you can now tell if they are turned on. They used to be white when selected and a slightly less white when not selected.

However, selecting an Artist and tapping a song will still only play that one album though (acknowledged bug).

And still no lyrics...
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iOS 5.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is now available for download, and features new quick lock screen access the camera application...

So that feature makes the title of the thread, even though it isn't a new feature?

Lock-screen access to the camera was available before 5.1 ... I've been using it for (months?) quite a while now!
  • Reply 27 of 47
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So that feature makes the title of the thread, even though it isn't a new feature?

Lock-screen access to the camera was available before 5.1 ... I've been using it for (months?) quite a while now!

With 5.1, the camera can always be accessed from the lockscreen - there's no need to double click the home button.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You'll want to look at what the new feature is. Swipe, not button.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. AT&T calls its HSDPA+ "4G", even though it isn't. Lawsuit time? Yep. Lawsuit for AT&T? Yep.

Lawsuit for a made-up BS marketing term?

Get a grip!

HSDPA+ is faster than the majority of Verizon's "4G" so who should be suing whom really?

Stupid anti-fanbois....
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

I hope that iOS 5.1 will fix the memory useage problems that have rendered the iPad1 completely useless, if you are running iOS 5.0?

So far Safari doesn't seem to be reloading pages at the drop of a hat, and some larger apps appear to be more stable.

Crossing fingers!
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

Mark my words.

Mark them as what? Bombastic?

Done!
  • Reply 32 of 47
    I just installed 5.1 on my iPhone 4S and Siri is blazing fast at least six times faster. This is crazy!!!!!
  • Reply 33 of 47
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

They're claiming 4G with no speed increases. People HERE are even questioning whether the iPhone 4S has LTE built in, much less among the common folk. AT&T pitches ONLY their "4G LTE" anymore. I KNEW they dug themselves a rut when they started lying and calling HSDPA+ "4G".

Mark my words.

The reality is that even Verizon LTE is not true 4G, and that HSDPA+ for AT&T is comparable in average download speeds to Verizon LTE and the other carriers' claims of 4G service. Further, HSDPA+ is significantly faster than traditional 3G so not sure what you are grousing about... There is no reason to criticize their claim when you look at the offerings and claims of the other carriers.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Blah... Apples OTA updates are pathetic.

My phone sits on 'estimating time remaining' until it fails. The ipad wont even connect to the update server, throwing up an error instantly

but then if i update via itunes, instead of 170megs each, they download 800megs each. Yaay pathetic datacaps. bleh
  • Reply 35 of 47
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Blah... Apples OTA updates are pathetic.

My phone sits on 'estimating time remaining' until it fails. The ipad wont even connect to the update server, throwing up an error instantly

but then if i update via itunes, instead of 170megs each, they download 800megs each. Yaay pathetic datacaps. bleh

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3787478?tstart=0

Guess its not just me... guess their servers cant handle the damage, even 13+hrs after release

Ya think that with a small proportion of profit from 172million iOS devices, Apple could increase their server capacity just a little tiny bit, or maybe delay the release around the world to balance it out.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    kjkelleykjkelley Posts: 16member
    I downloaded 5.1 last night, in the hopes that we have a fix; but NO GO. Within minutes, my iPad1 was crashing. I still have left everything to do with iCloud off. We need more data from those who seem to think this might be working, because I can not live with this level of perfomance and the word needs to get out on a higher level. Apple needs to be called out on the carpet here!

Does anyone happen to know Tim Cooks email? I would like to send him a link to this thread, now that he is done with the iPad3 release.

On a side note, I am experiencing this very same issue on the iPhone4. Has anyone started to notice the problem on this device as well?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

I downloaded 5.1 last night, in the hopes that we have a fix; but NO GO.

Works perfectly fine.

Quote:

I still have left everything to do with iCloud off.

Even with iCloud on.

Quote:

Apple needs to be called out on the carpet here!

One person has one problem and automatically it's Apple's fault.

Quote:

Does anyone happen to know Tim Cooks email?

This doesn't warrant that. Not by a long shot.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    After the update my iPhone 4S has regained the ability to act as a wifi hotspot.

This feature went horribly unstable for me after I plugged it in via USB and it never recovered.

I'm hoping it is a fix in software rather than just some cache refresh. I don't fancy re-installing iOS each time I want to use it.

Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    9to5Mac posted that there's a security issue with the new camera app, but they also know of a fix.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/08/in-ios...camera-slider/
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

9to5Mac posted that there's a security issue with the new camera app, but they also know of a fix.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/08/in-ios...camera-slider/

Why would you post that now, several hours after it has been debunked? It was a huge embarrassment for them, apparently.

Nowhere NEAR as much as AppleInsider and Cult of Mac reporting stuff from a fake Phil Schiller Twitter account, but apparently still an embarrassment.