Wall Street expects new iPad to continue dominating tablet market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    "He expects the device and a new version of iOS will help Apple maintain its lead in the tablet market."

Gotta love those analysts! I think what he meant was that they "will help Apple maintain its lead in the iPad market."

Give us a job mate
  • Reply 22 of 38
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Bringing out a $399 version of the iPad is a no-brainer and it pretty much kills the notion that there is a place in the Apple arsenal for a 7-inch tablet.

Fact is, no other manufacturer can offer a tablet that has all the good characteristics of the iPad 2 at anywhere near the $399 price point. Maybe some might be close to offering a 7-inch tablet in around $399 but if you compare side-by-side a 7-inch device and a 9.7-inch device, the larger unit absolutely wins out.

Really, other than for a rather inconsequential niche group, for most needs, the larger screen is a plus.

Best of all, delivering a high-resolution premium-grade tablet for a starting price of $499 sets the bar so high, I just don't know what competing manufacturers can do to gain a foothold in this rapidly growing market.

Where I see some need for change is in Apple's approach to the Touch. There is a need for a computer that can comfortably be carried in one's pocket but additional screen real estate enhances the user experience. Whatever activity one could imagine using the Touch for, it is more enjoyable as the screen gets larger. So the ideal size for the Touch, as I see it, is the largest size at which the device retains its convenience as a pocketable device. That isn't, I believe, 3.5 inches. The Vita, which is the biggest threat to the Touch, has a 5-inch screen. Something similar like a 4.7-inch screen would likely hit the sweet spot and since the Touch doesn't have the physical controls of the Vita, it would be smaller in overall dimensions.

For now, though, Apple absolutely owns the tablet market it basically created and the Touch is a minor hobby in comparison.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    prospprosp Posts: 5member
    Reading all these posts got me to thinking that dropping the price of the iPad 2 to $399 puts so much pressure on anyone selling a 10" tablet now or thinking about selling a 10" tablet (Amazon??).
  • Reply 24 of 38
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Jeez, there are so many clueless and dumb people on the internet. I've been reading some comments today on various sites, and certain people never learn. Some people, apparently born with underdeveloped brains, are calling this a minor upgrade. Others, who were obviously beaten and physically abused when they were children, are calling this an iPad 2S.\

The truth is that the new iPad will dominate like a motherfucker!

This is also good news for AAPL, and for those who are smart enough to hold that stock, because Apple is on a damn roll! And things are looking mighty good for 2012. I wonder if Apple is going to release preorder numbers soon? I expect them to be massive. I'm just happy that I managed to order one today, and I won't have to be standing in any ridiculous line come next week.

Arrogant people often try to prop up an elitist image of themselves in their minds by making it seem like nothing is good enough to satisfy them...especially when talking about something that is really popular. These are the same kind of people who are never satisfied with a great blockbuster movie for one reason or another. They will say it "...had too much CGI..." or something like that. Nothing is ever good enough for them. It might be good enough for you because you are not a discerning elitist like them...but it is not good enough for them.

They irritate me to no end.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I don't know guys, that Asus thingy has a docking station... Apple better watch out.

Yep. And Samsung has a stylus. Apple is doomed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The New York TImes, still smarting from being ignored by Apple, treated the news like it was a minor improvement bump.

These analysts and journalists (almost all of them) are total idiots. Let's see if we can figure this out:

1. Apple absolutely dominates the full sized tablet market. No one else has even a tiny fraction of Apple's share. Amazon does OK with a low-end, entry level Fire, but Apple's own studies show that the Fire has not impacted their sales, so it's apparently an entirely unconnected niche. No one else has anything close.

2. Apple releases a substantial upgrade. They go from having a good screen to having a screen that is without compare. Their new processor is twice the speed of the vaunted Tegra 3. The price is the same as the old model.

3. They continue to have massive success with their app sales, passing 25 billion downloads (more than 3 for every single person on the planet).

4. The price of the old one (which is already better than anything else out there) is reduced by $100.

5. So if they lead the market already and then introduce a new product at the same price, while lowering the price of the old one, why is there any question of whether Apple would continue to dominate?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prosp View Post

Reading all these posts got me to thinking that dropping the price of the iPad 2 to $399 puts so much pressure on anyone selling a 10" tablet now or thinking about selling a 10" tablet (Amazon??).

Especially since the iPad 2 is already better than the competition in so many ways.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

I don't know guys, that Asus thingy has a docking station... Apple better watch out.

The Asus is actually a very nice device. The docking station is extra, not much different from the Bluetooth keyboard available for the iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The New York TImes, still smarting from being ignored by Apple, treated the news like it was a minor improvement bump.

The New York Times is embarrassing itself with its tech reporters (with the exception of Pogue, who, I guess, is more of a reviewer). A pretty shallow, uninformed bunch.

Btw, they changed their headline on the story after all the comments they got! Can you believe that?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Considering the trash that Android offers, the iPad2 itself would still dominate the market even if the iPad3 never came out. That's a testament to Apple's brand and pathetic for Android and it's fanboys that continue to defend its half-baked offerings all in the name of "open".

I'm waiting for Win8 to challenge the iPad.

My guess on the Win8 challenge is that we will see a situation similar to Microsoft's success in taking on iPods with the Zune with the same outcome.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

DigiTimes is reporting eInk display sourcing are down 65%. While it's hard to take anything they say seriously I can see how eInk could be faltering in favor of tablets the way the PMP market faltered with modern smartphones hitting the market.

I do think Munster is off. Amazon might be able to maintain some marketshare with their $199 tablet but with a $300 10" Kindle Fire the decision to buy it over the iPad will be harder as those could actually be iPad customers. Only time will tell but I think Apple just sealed the deal with the tablet market in only two years.

As one analyst said, Apple just lapped the rest of them. I can't wait to see what they already have cooking for the next two years. I have always thought a much larger pro pad is a possibility, that is one designed not to be carried rather used on a desk on a stand set at a nice comfortable angle. Not that it would necessarily be called a pad if it were large ... Maybe that's a 'slate'.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Isn't iPad THE tablet market??? just saying.

A better statistic than how many iPads were sold vs PC's from vendors would have been how many sold vs ALL other tablets.... Anyone else want to see that statistic???? Maybe the numbers were statistically insignificant.

Tom
  • Reply 31 of 38
    macquestmacquest Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Don't be ridiculous... they're still in boxes at the warehouse. Stores don't want 'em.

Thanks. You saved me the time of having to post that fact myself.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

A better statistic ..... would have been how many (iPads) sold vs ALL other tablets....

They won't tell us beyond "number 1 Bestselling Product on Amazon" (the whole Kindle range that is) or "Sales are quite small/smooth" (thank you Samsung).
  • Reply 33 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Don't be ridiculous... they're still in boxes at the warehouse. Stores don't want 'em.

Marked as 'sold', obviously, not 'shipped'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

They won't tell us beyond "number 1 Bestselling Product on Amazon" (the whole Kindle range that is)?

Ah, they only say "world's best-selling eReader". And they've only said "our best-selling product" before, meaning 'of the products that Amazon itself makes'.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    If Gene Munster's predictions are right...

225 million iPads x $600 ASP = $135 billion revenue x 25% margin = $34 billion profit

$34 Billion x 15 PE Ratio = $510 billion market value

In other words, if this turns out to be true, the iPad alone is worth Apple's current market value and stock price

I use to think $1,000/share was a stretch. No more
  • Reply 35 of 38
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Are you talking about the Phonepad? It's a phone, no it's a tablet, no it's a phone and a tablet! I could see John Lovitz pitching that in an SNL skit. I saw the video of that fool CEO trying to be like Steve when he introduced the product. I felt embarrassed for the guy.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:

Not true, warehouses don't want them either. i bet the Android tabs are cozying up to "ET the video game" in a landfill somewhere.

I'm waiting for an ipad with a docking station, stylus, physical keyboard, attached printer, time machine.

The $400 ipad 2 is gonna kill any android tablets left and may put a hurting on the Fire.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Gene Munster thinks Apple will lose nearly half their current market share by 2016 (95% down to 50%) ? Time to let Eddie Munster take over for dad.

I think he just wants to throw off these predictions once in a while because he fears that he gets accused of being an Apple fan boy a little too often.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I think he just wants to throw off these predictions once in a while because he fears that he gets accused of being an Apple fan boy a little too often.

What's that saying? "Reality has an Apple bias"?