Apple selling out of first-day delivery pre-orders for some new iPad models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So is the LTE portion unlocked so one can get 4G access on any 4G-capabel carrier or are you locked in with your purchase? Talking about in the US here since CDMA-based networks have such a wonky setup.

PS: Just noticed there is no Sprint iPad. 18 models is a lot. 24 would just be annoying. Can wait until all CDMA/CDMA2000 is turned off... in about 20 years.

I noticed that once they put up the slide showing the carriers. Looking at the specs page, there are two different frequency chipsets supported both ipads have UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), while the AT&T version has LTE (700, 2100 MHz) and the Verizon version has LTE (700 MHz)3 CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz).

Will the Verizon version work on Sprint's network? (I'm a Canuck, I don't know these things). I wonder why Sprint wouldn't chose to sell this on their 3G network until they have their LTE network going. Did the carriers sign sale agreement maybe?
  • Reply 22 of 63

New Apple TV 1-2 weeks:

Apple TV

• Reply 23 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I noticed that once they put up the slide showing the carriers. Looking at the specs page, there are two different frequency chipsets supported both ipads have UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), while the AT&T version has LTE (700, 2100 MHz) and the Verizon version has LTE (700 MHz)3 CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz).

Will the Verizon version work on Sprint's network? (I'm a Canuck, I don't know these things). I wonder why Sprint wouldn't chose to sell this on their 3G network until they have their LTE network going. Did the carriers sign sale agreement maybe?

A quick Gogole search of the results page (i.e., non-diffinitive) looks like Sprint's LTE is 800 and 1900MHz. If that is correct that is out, but there LTE is still where AT&T's was two years ago.

I wonder if I could even take an AT&T iPad 3 and connect it to the Verizon LTE at all. They both had the 700MHz band but I'm thinking the software will be an issue. I'm guessing it's not as simple as putting in a Verizon SIM card.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:

1) I can't wait to see the sales figures for this. Preorders in 10 countries at once for a ship day on the Match 16th with 25 more countries on March 23. That's aggressive.

2) So why is AT&T selling out. They have less AT&T models than any other: AT&T isn't the cellular pariah that was once clamed?

I wonder if CYQ2 2012 will exceed the CY4Q 2011 iPad sales -- pretty good possibility, IMO!
  • Reply 25 of 63
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

No. Sprint won't put non-Sprint devices on their network. Maybe a very small percentage have gotten it to happen, but who knows. Why no iPad? Well there is no reason why it wouldn't work, but perhaps it's because Apple is championing the LTE connectivity and Sprint won't turn it on until later this year for a handful of markets. Just my guess.

That and plus they probably couldn't afford it since they spent about 17 billion on iPhones over the next few years.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    A number of the new iPad models have slipped to March 19 in the Canadian version of the Apple store.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:

A quick Gogole search of the results page (i.e., non-diffinitive) looks like Sprint's LTE is 800 and 1900MHz. If that is correct that is out, but there LTE is still where AT&T's was two years ago.

I wonder if I could even take an AT&T iPad 3 and connect it to the Verizon LTE at all. They both had the 700MHz band but I'm thinking the software will be an issue. I'm guessing it's not as simple as putting in a Verizon SIM card.

I doubt it. AT&T and Verizon are in the same 700 Mhz block, but AT&T uses 704-745 Mhz while Verizon uses 746-787 Mhz. So much for cross carrier interoperability.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    ciparisciparis Posts: 87member
    Pro tip: order it with engraving and the delivery date returns to March 16 (instead of shipping the 19th).
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wonder if CYQ2 2012 will exceed the CY4Q 2011 iPad sales -- pretty good possibility, IMO!

Historically speaking I'd say so.
    CY4Q 2010 - 7.33 million iPads (iPad 1, near end of cycle)

CY2Q 2011 - 9.25 million iPads (first full quarter for iPad 2)
    Now we have a 35 countries in an 8 day span. I'm guessing they have made a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad revenue overtake the iPhone revenue.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

In memory of Slapppy:

Nearly 24 hours in and you can still order most new iPads without any delivery delays. Demand must be way down off the back of such a mediocre update!!

Apple is doomed!!

Your tribute to slurpy aside, if Apple ran out of inventory / build capacity too quick, haters will say Apple intentionally constrained supply in order to drive up demand through scarcity, and if they don't sell out right away, it must mean nobody wants them and therefore omg android must be winning.

So yes, Apple is doomed no matter what happens. I for one am glad to be getting my black 64GB AT&T 4G LTE iPad on March 16, not two weeks later.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I doubt it. AT&T and Verizon are in the same 700 Mhz block, but AT&T uses 704-745 Mhz while Verizon uses 746-787 Mhz. So much for cross carrier interoperability.

And so much for an unlocked "world mode" device.
  • Reply 32 of 63

I haven't been to an Apple Store in a couple of years... 30 miles -- real PITA traffic and parking.

Has anyone else noticed that the newer Apple Store pictures tend to feature a lot of square tables w with 4 iPads -- as opposed to a few years ago, rectangular tables with a mix of products?

It looks as though the store is setup to:

-- drop in, try an iPad

-- play a few minutes and sell yourself

-- buy and leave

No fuss, no muss, no bother!

Now, if they would only implement that self-checkout thing!

• Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:

How so? If LTE doesn't exist, it will revert to GSM or CDMA. Those bands are pretty consistent around the world, minus the AWS spectrum T-Mobile uses. If someone gets the Verizon version, I assume that like the CDMA i4S, the carrier can unlock the SIM for travel overseas.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    The white 64Gb wifi "new iPad" is now showing 22nd March here in the UK - it was "16th to 19th" when I ordered mine (and a new AppleTV) when the online store came back at around 00:20 this morning....

Anybody want to buy a 64Gb white wifi iPad2?
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

New Apple TV 1-2 weeks:

Apple TV

I think the fact that they didn't give hardly any reason for owners of the current AppleTV hardware to upgrade is the strongest indicator yet that there is a giant actual TV in the works at Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Assuming it's not because of low demand, this is a key benefit of keeping the same form factor. While the screen and chips need to be ramped up, it is probably much easier to ramp up production for the rest of the components since little has changed.

Given the amount of leaks, I'm guessing Apple has been ramping up for quite some time.

And if it's something where you're going to be releasing a new model every year no need to change up the design if it's a hit with customers (and iPad 2 design was for most people). Only thing I could think of would be real advancements in battery technology where you could make it thinner/lighter.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

They never put products out before you can actually buy them. They'll have them all out when they open stores on the 16th.

Indeed. They don't want them in the stores before the night before for various security reasons.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    in other ground breaking news, water was confirmed to be wet.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Not until they start decomissioning the 2G/2.5G/3G/3.5G networks will there be one, because that is when the 800/900/1800/1900 bands get reused for LTE-Advanced.

T-Mobile at least realized their mistake and is instead following AT&T now. Sprint on the other hand isn't. (They're apparently putting LTE on the Nextel 800 spectrum.)

It will probably be 2017 before a world LTE device is available. Right now the only places you can roam with LTE are the US, and Canada.

However I wouldn't be surprised if pressure is put on governments to have carriers put LTE on 2100 and 700 so we can avoid another round of balkanized phone standardization. Right now it's okay because LTE isn't completely rolled out yet in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Looks like you can roam in Uzbekistan (700) and Nigeria (2100.)
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

It will probably be 2017 before a world LTE device is available. Right now the only places you can roam with LTE are the US, and Canada.

I've gotten word from Europe that people are upset and feeling defrauded by Apple because LTE won't work on their network despite Apple clearly stating what countries and networks LTE will work.