Samsung may already be preparing legal assault on Apple's new iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Samsung has called for a last-minute hearing for its ongoing lawsuit with Apple in Australia, prompting speculation that the company is preparing to attack the company's newly announced iPad.

Samsung called for the emergency hearing late Wednesday, after Apple's new iPad was announced, according to ITnews. Details of what Samsung plans to discuss are unknown, but the timing suggests the South Korean electronics maker could be looking to block the March 16 launch of the iPad in Australia.

The hearing is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. Friday local time in the courtroom of Justice Annabelle Bennett. That's the same judge who granted an injunction to Apple last year, temporarily barring sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

If Samsung does attempt to block the launch of the new iPad in Australia, it wouldn't be the first time the company has reacted quickly to a product announcement from Apple. Last October, almost immediately after Apple unveiled the iPhone 4S, Samsung filed for injunctions in France and Italy attempting to bar sales of Apple's handset at launch. But those efforts by Samsung failed, and Apple's international launch of the iPhone 4S went off without any legal issues.

Apple will launch its new iPad next Friday in a total of 10 countries, making it the largest launch yet for the company. The third-generation iPad is scheduled to launch in Australia along with the U.S, Canada, the U.K., France, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Separately, Samsung this week also filed a new infringement suit against Apple in its home country of South Korea. That complaint takes aim at the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, accusing the products of infringing upon three patents.

Apple and Samsung have filed more than 30 lawsuits against one another across the globe, and their legal showdown now spans 10 countries. Apple has offered settlements to Samsung, as well as Motorola, in which the iPhone maker has sought between $5 and $15 per Android-based handset sold, in return for dropping its own patent infringement claims, but no such deals have been agreed upon.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    And in related news, currency counterfeiters are preparing a legal assault against the U.S. Treasury...
  • Reply 2 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

And in related news, currency counterfeiters are preparing a legal assault against the U.S. Treasury...

Classic.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung has called for a last-minute hearing for its ongoing lawsuit with Apple in Australia, prompting speculation that the company is preparing to attack the company's newly announced iPad.

Samsung has no choice but to protect its intellectual property.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Samsung may already be preparing legal assault on Apple's new iPad"

...or they may not.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Now would it not make more sense to have suite brought against Apple in a country where the market is the largest, that would in turn cause Apple the most financial heartache ?

Seems odd for Samsung to be targeting Apple in such a small country/economy as Australia.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Neither a squatter nor the thief owns that upon which it clutches and Sammy sure loves to do a lot of clutching and crying. Sounds like Bruce W in The Kid: waaaa, waaaaaa.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I was on Apple's site yesterday, and after two hours of Ooops! messages and massive frustration, I said fuck this shit, and I headed on over to Samsung's site, where everything was smooth sailing, since there were only 3 other people visiting the site, and I proceeded to buy a Galaxy tab!

Not.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Now would it not make more sense to have suite brought against Apple in a country where the market is the largest, that would in turn cause Apple the most financial heartache ?

Seems odd for Samsung to be targeting Apple in such a small country/economy as Australia.

You're assuming the laws and the law systems are the same in both countries.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:

. . .

Comfortable choice to visit. Warm, safe, interesting people. While doing a little court biz, can quickly trip on down to the beach.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I'm sure those Etch A Sketch devices are a rip off of a Samsung Tablet.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

And what intellectual property is that exactly?
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Same old same old from SAMSUX. Apple comes out with better and newer stuff before the SAMSUX copy cats can copy it. Pick up a SAMSUX phone and compare it with an iPhone. The Samsux will feel like a plastic piece of cheap crap while the iPhone is pure quality. SAMSUX = GARBAGE.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    bosco08bosco08 Posts: 19member
    why the hell didn't I become a lawyer?!?!?!
  • Reply 14 of 92
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

No. It makes the most sense to bring suits in countries where you feel you have the best chance to win the case.

-kpluck
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:

It would seem that SAMSUX has no intellectual property as it seems all they have done is try to monkey see monkey do. Epic fail though. SAMSUX stuff feels plastic and cheap whereas Apple is beautiful and well made. Apple feels expensive and SAMSUX feels cheap. Not to mention Android is a fragmented half baked open sourced mess. NO THANKS. Stop messing with Apple and try to make products that stand out on their own and that people might want to buy. Wait till Apple gets into TVs and cleans SAMSUX clock. Yikes. No wonder SAMSUX is scared.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    LOL -- "SAMSUX" ha!
  • Reply 17 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Yet so far courts have held that they don't have any intellectual property to protect, resulting in not being able to get any injuctions to stick. And to be fair, Apple has had only minor success in blocking stuff too. But the lawyers are sure making out like bandits.\
  • Reply 18 of 92
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Dear Samsung: Get a life. If you don't know where to find one, head to your local Apple store, they sell the "i" variety.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    It is funny that Samsung are the ones making the Retina display which is used in the new iPad -- they actually make this key part of the device, and they are suing Apple yet again for stealing their ideas....I don't think Samsung has a Retina-display tablet out on the market, and Apple paid Samsung good money for these panels, it was a fair deal.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Dear Samsung: Get a life. If you don't know where to find one, head to your local Apple store, they sell the "i" variety.

They don't have a Life, they only have a Seoul.