Apple brings iPhoto to iPad with multi-touch editing, updates iWork & iLife

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple has brought yet another application from its iLife suite to the iPad in the form of iPhoto, allowing users to edit photos with multi-touch gestures and utilize professional-quality effects. It also updated its existing iWork and iLife applications.

Features of iPhoto for iPad highlighted by Apple also include smart browsing, brushes, wireless photo beaming, and photo journals. Randy Ubillos, chief architect of photo and video apps at Apple, called it a "reinvention" of iPhoto. iPhoto for iPad will support up to 19-megapixel photos.

The iWork applications have also been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display. The mobile version of Pages, Numbers and Keynote now get 3D charting and animations and the builds and transition features of their desktop counterparts.

The new apps will be a free update for those who already own Pages, Keynote or Numbers, and are available today in the iOS App Store.

GarageBand has also been updated to add Smart Strings and a note editor. iPads can be connected over iPad or Bluetooth to make music together. Content can be shared and pushed to iCloud.

iMovie for iOS has also been updated, adding storyboard features for planning videos (above) and new editing capabilities. It's still $4.99 and a free update for those who already own.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Good. Now how about OS X's iWork, Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    iPhoto looks great... waiting for it to be made available.

Looks like this will be an interesting year.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Today was all iPad... Mac OS stuff will come in time, I'm sure.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    At first I thought you could export from Garageband on an iPad to the iPod nano. I was confused?

• Reply 5 of 17
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Am I seeing things or did, the presentation intimate that you could share iPhoto images over iCloud for viewing on the web? If so, this seems to be a replacement for Mobile Me Web Galleries and will potentially solve a HUGE problem for me in loosing Mobile Me.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Effects, tschmefects...

Journal with geotagging and weather! Now you can guess what your scene and lighting conditions are. You do know how your image should be fixed. Groundbreaking.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    avonordavonord Posts: 71member
    iPhoto looks great. I would love to use it. But with 70gig+ of raw images on my NAS, I don't know how I can work with them.

During the keynote, I think they were working with raw images from a Nikon SLR? How did they get the photos on the iPad in the first place?

If they want me to use their iPhoto for iPad, they better have better integration with the iPhoto/Aperture on the Mac (work with files over WiFi??) or maybe even access files on my NAS directly.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Am I seeing things or did, the presentation intimate that you could share iPhoto images over iCloud for viewing on the web? If so, this seems to be a replacement for Mobile Me Web Galleries and will potentially solve a HUGE problem for me in loosing Mobile Me.

Thoughts?

yes, Photo journal can replace Gallery it seems. Only I see no info on whether you can download hi rez images from a web page which is key for me.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has brought yet another application from its iLife suite to the iPad in the form of iPhoto, allowing users to edit photos with multi-touch gestures and utilize professional-quality effects. It also updated its existing iWork and iLife applications.

Features of iPhoto for iPad highlighted by Apple also include smart browsing, brushes, wireless photo beaming, and photo journals. Randy Ubillos, chief architect of photo and video apps at Apple, called it a "reinvention" of iPhoto. iPhoto for iPad will support up to 19-megapixel photos.

The iWork applications have also been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display. The mobile version of Pages, Numbers and Keynote now get 3D charting and animations and the builds and transition features of their desktop counterparts.

The new apps will be a free update for those who already own Pages, Keynote or Numbers, and are available today in the iOS App Store.

GarageBand has also been updated to add Smart Strings and a note editor. iPads can be connected over iPad or Bluetooth to make music together. Content can be shared and pushed to iCloud.

iMovie for iOS has also been updated, adding storyboard features for planning videos (above) and new editing capabilities. It's still $4.99 and a free update for those who already own.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

I just want to be able to make comments on Pages, so I can grade papers. Is this so hard to add as a feature? At least track changes.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Thoughts?

My thoughts too, although no ability for a slide show shown so far, can't wait to try it.

Edit

iPhoto now available!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Can't update Pages and Numbers on my iPad 2 anymore. iTunes says that they are not compatible with my iPad anymore… O__o
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Never mind! I found out that I needed to update to iOS 5.1
  • Reply 13 of 17
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

iPhoto looks great. I would love to use it. But with 70gig+ of raw images on my NAS, I don't know how I can work with them.

During the keynote, I think they were working with raw images from a Nikon SLR? How did they get the photos on the iPad in the first place?

They probably loaded the RAW files using the iPad Connection Kit.

Quote:

If they want me to use their iPhoto for iPad, they better have better integration with the iPhoto/Aperture on the Mac (work with files over WiFi??) or maybe even access files on my NAS directly.

I was thinking the same thing, that would be pretty cool if iPhoto for iOS could access a remote iPhoto library (note: this is different from syncing photos) and allowed you to make edits to photos in that remote library. That said, I'd be more interested if there was a way to access and modify a remote Aperture library from the new iPad. As it stands right now, we haven't quite yet reached the "post-PC" era.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Probably the camera connection kit?

You nailed it. As long as the ipad doesnt have systemwide afp/smb share integration i dont see anything but hobbyists that have a few clips or photos able to use any of this software....(imovie/iphoto)
  • Reply 15 of 17
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? What is there that needs to be updated enough to warrant a full revamp
  • Reply 16 of 17
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Am I seeing things or did, the presentation intimate that you could share iPhoto images over iCloud for viewing on the web?

Nope. They flat said it. I'm keen to try it and see how it works
  • Reply 17 of 17
    iPhoto for iPad is hands down the slowest iPad app ever released. It is the only app on my iPad that takes up to ten seconds after tapping the screen to even register that the screen has been tapped. Horrid, horrid performance. Why not highlight the tap before making whatever processor-intensive calculation that ties up the system for tens of seconds, just to let people know the iPad is listening to their fingers?