Intuit releases Quicken 2007 update for OS X Lion users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Nobody should be using any version of Quicken for MacOSX. EVERY single version has been buggy and years behind in basic functionality compared to the Windows version that is current at the time it is released.

Hell, Quicken releasing this is an admission that their MacOSX support is terrible, as it's 3 years older than their most recent release, yet it has significantly more functionality than the most current version.

Even the name of the 'current' version screams "incomplete", namely Quicken Essentials [as in, the bare essentials].
  • Reply 22 of 56
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wanderso View Post

I know that folks like to bash quicken. I've used it since 1992, as well as MacInTax (now TurboTax).

I currently have Quicken 2006 and have kept my 15 month old machine at 10.6.x. For those of us that have many years of data invested in Quicken heralding back to the days of System 6.8, it's welcoming that Intuit decided to allow us a compatible route.

Do I think there are better applications out there? Sure. But some times, an application is just 'good enough' for what lots of folks use from a core functionality perspective.

Can those like me learn something else? Sure - but in a busy life I'd rather spend my time invested in other non-financial applications pursuits.

So - let the poison darts fly, but I say "THANK YOU INTUIT".

The link for the download is here: http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...7-osx-lion.jsp
  • Reply 23 of 56
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I have mixed emotions regarding charging for a compatibility update. I think they are doing the right thing by keeping costs low. Common people, it has been 5 years, $15 isn't going to break the bank. I don't understand calling it 2007. Why wouldn't you just call it 2012 or 2013?

I think they should have called it Quicken 2018 which will cover them for the next six years. Any true Mac user would never stand for being a second-class citizen to Windows. This is why I only buy software, "Made for Mac," by Mac only developers in the first place. However, it pisses me off that Apple's itself and their software is starting to look like Windows too.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmfilms View Post

Intuit can stick it. I spent days loading my business records into Quicken, only to find out that it can't share records with TurboTax.

Yes, you read that right. Intuit's two programs cannot share info. A huge massive waste of time and money.

It's worse than that. Try Quickbooks for Mac. As recently as 2009 (I haven't even tried it since), this version was incapable of networking. So if you had a Windows Quickbooks network, the Mac clients couldn't access the network. Absolutely incredible.

But don't think it's only the Mac programmers who are incompetent. It's not all that great on the Windows side.

I installed a Point of Sale (aptly referred to as 'POS') network on our Windows PCs. The programs wouldn't launch. I went through an entire weekend of messing around with their tech support. In each case, they told me to uninstall POS, then reinstall Windows and reinstall POS with nothing else on the machine. I did so and it still wouldn't work. Their only answer was to do it again - and again - and again. When I told them that I had already done it several times, they responded that I had to go through the process their way or they couldn't help.

Eventually, I found the problem on the Internet. There was a conflict between POS and .NET. I had to reinstall Windows - and then upgrade to a newer version of .NET than was included with Windows to get it working. An entirely wasted weekend - but the problems weren't through.

We had set it up by putting the server on my accountant's computer, but it ran too slow (which was pretty amazing because even our biggest days might have 100 transactions per day). Getting data out was a nightmare. So we bought a new server and wanted to move the POS database to the server. When it was clear that there was no easy way to do that, I call tech support again. Their solution was that the only way to move the server data file was to erase everything, uninstall POS (not just from the server, but also from the client machines), reinstall Windows on all the machines, reinstall POS and install POS server on the new server.

Apparently, the concept of networking is far too complicated for the people at Intuit.

Of course, that's not surprise. I beta tested Quicken Mac for them for years. They did have a great beta testing program (for example, they provided a series of questionnaires and asked you to try specific features in each version), but they soundly ignored all the requests. For over 10 years, Mac users constantly asked for file and feature compatibility with the Windows version - and Intuit simply ignored the requests. The really sad thing is that if they had done that at the beginning, it would almost certainly have saved them money (by keeping one code base rather than 2) as well as making customers happier and making the transition to newer OS versions easier.

I switched to SEE Finance for my own use last year. For some reason, the alternatives (iBank, etc) would not properly import my old data file, so SEE was the only choice I had. It imported all of my data properly and seems to work OK, but the UI is terrible and it's difficult to use - particularly for things like reconciling. If Intuit had actually made a decent upgrade and provided either a compatibility fix for free or a real feature equivalent upgrade for a fair price, I might have gone back, but there's no way I'm paying for a version that just fixes problems that should have been fixed 5 years ago.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If they are going to do nothing more than port their old PowerPC products to Intel, and not improve them perhaps, for the sake of their customers, they should openly publish the details of their file format so that other, more actively developed, products can import their data.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    I was pretty annoyed when Apple dropped support for PPC, as I had loads of old applications that would not run, including Quicken, the 2007 version of Office, and old games and utilities.

I found I didn't really miss most of the software, and that IWork did pretty much everything I needed from an Office suite, other than read Word docs that were password protected.

However, as I had over 10 years of info on Quicken, and the Lion compatible alternatives did not get great reviews, I kept Snow Leopard on my laptop, living in hope that either Intuit, or Apple would solve the problem.

So I guess this is good news and the price isn't too bad. Hopefully this won't happen again. Now I can update my laptop to Lion with all its advantages.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

I was pretty annoyed when Apple dropped support for PPC, as I had loads of old applications that would not run, including Quicken, the 2007 version of Office, and old games and utilities.

I found I didn't really miss most of the software, and that IWork did pretty much everything I needed from an Office suite, other than read Word docs that were password protected.

However, as I had over 10 years of info on Quicken, and the Lion compatible alternatives did not get great reviews, I kept Snow Leopard on my laptop, living in hope that either Intuit, or Apple would solve the problem.

So I guess this is good news and the price isn't too bad. Hopefully this won't happen again. Now I can update my laptop to Lion with all its advantages.

Don't count on it. Intuit has demonstrated their disdain for Mac users over and over. I'd be willing to bet that a year from now, they'll announce that not enough people bought the new version of Quicken so they're dropping all Mac versions. No tech support, no bug fixes, nothing to allow it to work with new versions of Mac OS.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    wordwisewordwise Posts: 26member
    I (my wife) uses Quicken Mac 2006. Single reason why we haven't upgraded to Lion.

Can I simply download the $14.99 update and it will work? No info on the Quicken website...
  • Reply 29 of 56
    I think it goes without saying that Intuit has steadily disrespected Mac users for years - I gave up a while back and I switched to iBank. I've loved every minute of switching and sure, there were struggles and extra time that was needed to adapt but I really would recommend it wholeheartedly. I watched the sample videos on iBank's website to get me up to speed and they really helped. Wow, that sounds like I work for iBank but I don't, I'm just liberated because it's like I finally have gotten out of a bad relationship and I realized the cloud that was hanging over my head that I couldn't see while I was too deep in it. Move on from Intuit/Quicken/Quickbooks and don't look back - they're only scattering to try and help now because people are using Macs more and more...too little, too late!
  • Reply 30 of 56
    dennyldennyl Posts: 28member
    I'm a refugee from Quicken trying iBank. iBank for Mac is fine, but I haven't found a way of getting iBank for iPhone to sync with my MacBook; The sync procedures still refer to MobileMe and don't seem to work with iCloud. There's nothing on iBank's Web site to help. I might go back to Moneydance. Their iPhone app works. I was running Quicken on my Mac using Crossover, which works fine, but I want to get back to having a mobile extension like I did back in the days of Palm and Pocket Quicken.

Intuit has not only treated Mac users very shoddily; it abandoned UK users when it pulled the plug on Internet updating of share prices. I wouldn't go near them again.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    So what are the alternatives to Quicken?

Something that can predict cash flow, bills coming due, etc. Something that has most of the features of Quicken's Windows version of the software.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member
    My wife is a financial professional, so she is fussy about our home financial software. Quicken (although old and clunky) did things for her that no other program could do.

I finally talked her into buying iBank, and while it comes close, it still doesn't meet her high standards...mainly regarding investment work. She is getting by, but barely.

Fortunately, we saved Quicken 2007 (and years of data) to a separate drive, in hopes that Intuit will finally come through.

So, for $15, for us, it's worth trying it out.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    my quicken data goes back 20+ years. i've purchased every update intuit put out (except quicken essentials) and i have the disks to prove it. one of the (many) things keeping me from lion was quicken. ibank has import issues and can't properly import my quicken data, so i don't really want to leap from the frying pan into the fire. and i'll be damned if i'm going to pay intuit any more for their laziness. (if it's "just" fifteen dollars then why don't they provide free upgrades?) i need to have a virtual machine around anyway, so i'll just run quicken on that, which should buy me a few more years. hopefully something better will come along in the meantime ...
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geoffrobinson View Post

So what are the alternatives to Quicken?

Something that can predict cash flow, bills coming due, etc. Something that has most of the features of Quicken's Windows version of the software.

I'm not sure that any Mac app is the equivalent of the Windows version of Quicken. There are a number that are easily replacements for the Mac version:

iBank

SEE Finance

Moneydance

Of the three, iBank seems to be getting the best reviews, but it wouldn't import my data file, so I couldn't use it. SEE Finance imported my data file properly, but is much more difficult to use. I don't know about Moneydance - it also wouldn't import my data file.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

I (my wife) uses Quicken Mac 2006. Single reason why we haven't upgraded to Lion.

Can I simply download the $14.99 update and it will work? No info on the Quicken website...

Yes. That's exactly what I did and it worked fine (so far). AI calls it an "update" but it's really the full version.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    My 2 concerns are retaining my payee list and an online bill pay. AFAIK, only Quicken has that option - and only for Windows. 'tis why I have a VM. I have to review my situation this month as Intuit is locking me out of online retrieval et.al. unless I upgrade to their 2012 release (running 2009.)
  • Reply 37 of 56
    The MYOB (now Acclivity) package for Mac (AccountEdge) has rather good feature parity with the Windows version and is a reasonable choice for small businesses.

http://accountedge.com/mac/

Cheers,

Thomas
  • Reply 38 of 56
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    I have Quicken 2004...main reason for using the older version is that I didn't need the banking connection for my checkbook or to write checks or to any of the other advanced features with the newer versions. I just use it for data entry to get my totals for expenses and income reports at the end of the year. It will continue to be that way. I may want to connect to TurboTax but it so easy just to enter a few numbers once I have the report.

So, upgrading would be a $49.99 cost for Essentials. I have data that goes back 10 years and the Essentials version will be compatible with Snow Leopard & Lion so I can try it out for 60 days with a money back guarantee. I will probably try it out but my MBP is almost 3 years old now and all my other apps work so well, I am reluctant to go to Lion even if Essentials does work. I want to keep SL! I have a Mac Pro which will be upgraded to Lion since I do have a .me address.

My other thought is to just get one of the new iPads so I can have all my contacts, datebook, mail, etc sync easily with no upgrade at all for the MBP. My only regret with Apple is that even now I can sync all that info with all my older macs, even my G4 with is running 10.4. It's too bad they don't want to have any backward compatibility. Another alternative would be to use that with my current version of quicken and not upgrade at all.

I am waiting it out for another couple of months before I have to make to switch to iCloud and Lion. I am hoping ( but not expecting ) that Apple will come out with 10.6.9 that will sync with iCloud even with some features not there would be fine...all I want is the basics without all the other new "push" of docs and photos and more to all my devices. I don't care bout that.

That makes the iPad a very good possibility! That would simplify everything with a lot less work to switch over to Lion! ( Oh, I didn't mention even less in cost that getting a Macbook Air. )
  • Reply 39 of 56
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomaspatko View Post

The MYOB (now Acclivity) package for Mac (AccountEdge) has rather good feature parity with the Windows version and is a reasonable choice for small businesses.

http://accountedge.com/mac/

Cheers,

Thomas

I couldn't care less about he Windows parity, but AccountEdge is a fine app for small business accounting. Its what I use and would recommend to other Mac users instead of Quick Books. Why keep dealing with Intuit when they've demonstrated they care about Mac users?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

My 2 concerns are retaining my payee list and an online bill pay. AFAIK, only Quicken has that option - and only for Windows. 'tis why I have a VM. I have to review my situation this month as Intuit is locking me out of online retrieval et.al. unless I upgrade to their 2012 release (running 2009.)

Unless I am misunderstanding your requirements, I can do that on Quicken 2007 Mac. I haven't tried it on the update they released yesterday, but I dind't see anything about it being removed, so I'm assuming it's still there. I use my bank to process the payments, but type them into quicken & upload them from there. I don't use Quicken's bill pay service.