No Siri on iPad 3!!?? Let alone iPad 2 in iOS 5.1

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apparently there is no Siri on iPad 2 in iOS 5.1? That is very disappointing because it is perfectly capable of running it, based on what I've read.

But Siri is apparently not even on the new iPad 3.

What is Apple thinking!? That surprised me.

I have been disappointed I can't do basic voice commands on my iPad for a long time, like I can with my Droid. I use Google's voice commands and text to speech all the time with my Droid and I would like to be able to speak things to my iPad to search (directions and navigation, Google queries, searching for contacts or queries in email, etc).

Thoughts? Maybe Siri will come to Ipad 2 and 3 in iOS 5.2?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

But Siri is apparently not even on the new iPad 3.

What is Apple thinking!? That surprised me.

Half the models don't have a pervasive Internet connection, and you can't give it to only the half that does. You'd see people complaining about how it doesn't work at all, being too stupid to realize they're nowhere near Wi-Fi.

Quote:

Thoughts? Maybe Siri will come to Ipad 2 and 3 in iOS 5.2?

It's not happening until all iPads have cellular telephony or there's a nationwide Wi-Fi equivalent.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Half the models don't have a pervasive Internet connection, and you can't give it to only the half that does. You'd see people complaining about how it doesn't work at all, being too stupid to realize they're nowhere near Wi-Fi.

It's not happening until all iPads have cellular telephony or there's a nationwide Wi-Fi equivalent.

Ouch. That's a low opinion of ipad users. Why should I not have siri and be punished because others have a wifi model? My company ipad has a dataplan.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Ouch. That's a low opinion of iPad users.

It's more a statement of users of technology in general.

Quote:

Why should I not have siri and be punished because others have a wifi model? My company ipad has a dataplan.

Why should half the models get something and half not? That's not how Apple does things.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    [/QUOTE]Why should half the models get something and half not? That's not how Apple does things.[/QUOTE]

Erm GPS..... ??????
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snorbitz View Post

Erm GPS..... ??????

Ah, an interesting point. The GPS chip is part of the 3G/LTE chipset. That's something that comes with the territory. Apple can't put a standalone GPS chip on the main logic board, as it would conflict with that functionality.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Not surprising me. I am sure the iPhone4 could run Siri. The iPhone3GS probably could too. My two year old Android based Droid X handles voice commands and dictation just fine.

Apple should have just said Siri was exclusive to iPhone 4S instead of whatever BS they fed consumers. It wasn't true whatever they said. And it just makes them look bad to anyone paying attention since a $49 (or even free) Android phone has more voice command capability than an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Apple should have just said Siri was exclusive to iPhone 4S instead of whatever BS they fed consumers.

That IS what they said. Or have they stated something officially since then? I can't remember.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

That IS what they said. Or have they stated something officially since then? I can't remember.

I thought they said it was due to processor capability, which is why I think the poster made reference to the new iPad having plenty of horsepower to run Siri.

Frankly, I am too tired too care. I'll just say that if that Apple never blamed the iPhone 4 processor on why it did not receive a Siri update....I take it all back and I am a misinformed moron.

(I am assuming I can't get reported for self deprecation)

Maybe I'll try to find the article in the morning.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

I thought they said it was due to processor capability

Really? Huh. Blatant lie, that, if true. We know the A4 is a spectacular little chip.

Quote:

Frankly, I am too tired too care.

Ah, it is awfully late, isn't it.

Quote:

(I am assuming I can't get reported for self deprecation)

If insulting oneself was against the rules, I'd've been banned long ago. I'd've banned myself once given the power.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    This may be what I saw, but this is not an official statement from Apple. Just an analyst and what does he know? So maybe Apple never said anything or maybe it mysteriously vanished from the inter webs.

It's morning....and I still don't care.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    By the way, I did notice while I was looking that hackers had gotten Siri working on jailbroke iPhone4, iPod Touch, and iPhone 3GS. At least, for a little while.

Siri processes commands via a web service, so Apple may have caught on and put a stop to it by now.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

This may be what I saw, but this is not an official statement from Apple. Just an analyst and what does he know? So maybe Apple never said anything or maybe it mysteriously vanished from the inter webs.

It's morning....and I still don't care.

you seemed to care enough to post 2 -3 times about how apple is seemingly ripping people off by not giving everyone the same features from every product they sell..

[insult removed]
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

you seemed to care enough to post 2 -3 times about how apple is seemingly ripping people off by not giving everyone the same features from every product they sell..

[insult removed]

What are you on earth are you talking about? I said numerous times I don't care if Apple provides Siri or not. But if they said it was due to a processor, they lied about it.

I then conceded I could have been wrong and misread something and said if Apple never made a statement other than Siri was exclusive to iPhone 4S, I took it all back and was a "misinformed moron".

I then said, "I don't care" simply because I didn't feel like arguing about it. I am still not going to argue the point, but I wanted to give you a moment to maybe look back through what I have actually said.

You may find on a second read I have not been near as harsh as you have apparently took it.

And I certainly don't mind keeping my phone. I've had it for 2 years. Jeez, do some of you people really hate me because I own and Android phone?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I would understand why they screw iPad 2 and iPhone 4 users, to make them buy iPhone 4S and iPad 3. Sure. Kind of dick, but hey it's how Apple has always been, since the 80s. It makes business sense.

But no Siri on iPad 3, that doesn't even make business sense. Someone somewhere else said maybe the iPhone has special mics that allow better voice recognition. LOL. If Apple can't design an iPad that runs Siri that's pathetic.

I love dictation on my Android. It's just kind of sad I can't do it with my iPad 2 with an iOS 5.x upgrade but it's really disappointing for people buying iPad 3 now I would imagine. I bet a lot of iPad 3 buyers will be surprised and not in a good way that iPad 3 lacks Siri. Who else here is pretty surprised iPad 3 lacks Siri?

I guess they can use it to help sell iPad 4? "...now with Siri™!"
  • Reply 15 of 21
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    No big deal really, Jail-Break it, add Suri yourself, it's not hard I did it for my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Software is always easy to fix, I'm more upset at the camera situation, why didn't Apple improve the front camera or choose that 8 megapixel sensor that is on the iPhone for the back, the price their charging you would have thought, bad form Apple. It's like every time there is a new model it's almost great, with something missing that stops it from being the perfect model. Apple isn't the only manufacture that seems to be going down this road either. My new Samsung 7.7 is incredible in almost every way except for the lacking 3 megapixel camera in the back. My Samsung Galaxy Note has the most fantastic camera I have ever owned on any cell phone, why didn't Samsung use the same camera for their tablets.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No big deal really, Jail-Break it, add Suri yourself

OH GOSH, don't do that. That's how freaking Kim Kommando pronounces it and it makes me want to drive off a cliff when I hear it.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

OH GOSH, don't do that. That's how freaking Kim Kommando pronounces it and it makes me want to drive off a cliff when I hear it.

Oh my gosh that's funny.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No big deal really, Jail-Break it, add Suri yourself, it's not hard I did it for my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Software is always easy to fix, I'm more upset at the camera situation, why didn't Apple improve the front camera or choose that 8 megapixel sensor that is on the iPhone for the back, the price their charging you would have thought, bad form Apple. It's like every time there is a new model it's almost great, with something missing that stops it from being the perfect model. Apple isn't the only manufacture that seems to be going down this road either. My new Samsung 7.7 is incredible in almost every way except for the lacking 3 megapixel camera in the back. My Samsung Galaxy Note has the most fantastic camera I have ever owned on any cell phone, why didn't Samsung use the same camera for their tablets.

I have noticed this trend, too.. A brilliant business tactic, for sure.

Hmmm jailbreak and I can then add Siri, you say. I may have to consider jailbreaking actually. Hmm.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

I have noticed this trend, too.. A brilliant business tactic, for sure.

Hmmm jailbreak and I can then add Siri, you say. I may have to consider jailbreaking actually. Hmm.

I hate to say this as we're on a Apple fan site but it seems like Asus is the only tablet manufacture who seems to packing everything they can into their products. Giving all that they can give sort of thing.

Check out the Transformer Prime, they give us one of the fastest processor available for the Android platform, (yes, yes the new iPad is a 4x times faster, cough, cough bullshitt), there is a 8 megapixel camera with flash, 64GB ram, 16 hours battery when docked with the keyboard.They will soon introduce their 700t model with full HD, 1080 screen and 2GB ram. Very cool indeed.

There is also their new Padphone, a cell phone with the new S4 chip which really does put the Nvidia Tegra 3 to shame, 8GB camera with flash, a 10 inch tablet dock and keyboard dock. All three components have a battery so when combined you'll get a total of 24 hours in battery, yes you read that correctly, 24 hours of battery.

I really hope more manufactures follow Asus's example, wait there is HTC that just released their X series phone.

So yeah, Jail-Break the bitch wide open.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Hey Relic good info, I will look in to JB'ing. I think it's legit to like Android and Macs at the same time. I like a lot of things about iPad, but Android also has lots of nice unique things. My favorite so far is the voice control, which I think is finally worth jailbreaking to get.