Apple sells out of launch-day iPads, new orders ship by March 19

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually they are quite accommodating to people who have special needs for example their assistive technologies like Voice Over. The people who they fail to accommodate are those who actually have normal everyday computing needs. Those people have to jump through hoops to get anything done.

I think we need a sad commercial showing how Apple's customers can't do such normal activities as use Terminal on iPad, or connect a mouse to the 30-pin connector, or use a music CD on the MBA. Overlay with some sad Sarah McLachlan music and you're set.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I ordered mine wednesday after announcement, but don't think I am excited enough to get in on the circle-..thing going on in this thread. I'm still worried I will try to do something simple that I do everyday on my touchpad, but won't be able to do on the new iPad. What? Something I can't do on an iPad you say? Surely I jest? No, I don't. That simple little thing is download a torrent file on the pad and immediately uploading it to the Transmission web interface on my server. What's that you say? Just grab a link and submit to Transmission that way? No go when you have to be authenticated to grab the link. I guess I could just remote into my server and do it that way? Or maybe not, cause remote desktop seems to fail cause of my dual monitors

So why get an iPad if you already know that it won't do what you need ??? Were you dropped on your head often as a small child???
  • Reply 63 of 121
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

For those of us who want to be able to create and save files, the additional resolution does nothing to improve our user experience. Every two bit crapware app on the device has its own sandbox. Why doesn't the owner of the device also get a small sandbox that they can use to save files to? Every stupid app can have access to the camera roll except Safari.

Not being able to upload a photo to a website is a major pain in the ass. Every content management platform now has to have their own iOS app just because you cannot upload photos through the browser. That is why we have a Craigslist app, a Wordpress app, a Facebook app, a match.com app etc, etc. Why? Simply because you cannot get at your photos from within the browser. This crap is annoying. Do people really think this is a better system than a real computer?

Wow - you're really angry at the iPad. But, no, it's not better and yes, the inability to upload images to wherever you want is a shortcoming and a bummer. There are many tasks at which the iPad is not very good. But what it is good at it is really good at. Just ask many millions of users who also find it fun to use.

My advice to you is to go for more walks and read less computer, and in particular, rumour sites. Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if that apparently lovely high res comes to a laptop near you in the not too distant future.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think we need a sad commercial showing how Apple's customers can't do such normal activities as use Terminal on iPad, or connect a mouse to the 30-pin connector, or use a music CD on the MBA. Overlay with some sad Sarah McLachlan music and you're set.

Quit making shit up! I said upload a photo in a browser. Is that too complicated for you to understand or do you just want to put that task in the same category as shell script commands so you can ridicule someone as being out of touch with the modern techniques? I just think that artificially crippling the iPad is stupid because it defeats the entire reason for its existence. Why should I have to carry a notebook and an iPad. Uploading a photo is a common task. Saving a pdf is a common task. The iPad should do it if it was a real computer like you and other claim it is.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Looking forward to the tweaker parade following the delivery trucks on Friday.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

The sad thing is trolls are still polluting all comment sections with the same list they used for the original iPhone. I could excuse tht misguided thinking in 2007, but now, in 2012? After history has shown that people don't give a shit about that stuff, trolls insist these are the most important 'missing features'. ie:

-removable battery (I don't know if I've ever seen a tablet with a fucking removable battery, nor do I want to)

- USB ports

- firewire (yes. I've seen multiple comments on multiple sites lament the lack of FIREWIRE on the iPad3)

- SD slot

- 'open'

- modifiable kernel

It hurts my brain when I wonder if these are actually real people with real opinions that they believe in, or some type of bots that parrot the same thing when they see an 'apple' tag on an article. It's one thing if you personally want this stuff and thus choose not to buy an apple product. It's quite another to bash the company because you believe these are the things it need to include to be 'competitive'.
  • Reply 67 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But what it is good at it is really good at. Just ask many millions of users who also find it fun to use.

So you are suggesting that the iPad is a toy?
  • Reply 68 of 121
    Quote:

So you are suggesting that the iPad is a toy?

It can be if you want it to be. Most people, though, don't have "upload pictures" as the definitive criteria of if something isn't a toy. And you said, most sites that care offer you alternatives. You're just not going to get everything you want with any piece of technology.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    Quote:

... Why should I have to carry a notebook and an iPad...

If you're carrying a notebook, then there's no point in carrying an iPad ALSO. What kind of idiot would think he needed an iPad if he carries a notebook everywhere he goes?

(It kinda sounds like you should be a MacBook(Air?) owner, rather than an iPad owner.)

It's possible you should be considering a CT scan of your brain... there may be something bad going on in there.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Why should I have to carry a notebook and an iPad. Uploading a photo is a common task. Saving a pdf is a common task. The iPad should do it if it was a real computer like you and other claim it is.

You don't have to carry a notebook and an iPad. Just stay away from the iPad if it doesn't meet your needs. And just because it doesn't replace all the functions of a PC or those tasks you deem "common", does not mean it's not a computer.

As the iPad and OS matures, so will its features and abilities. I'm sure you remember a thing or two about early computers - They definitely paled in comparison to computers of today(including the iPad), but they were, without question, considered "real" computers.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It hurts my brain when I wonder if these are actually real people with real opinions that they believe in, or some type of bots that parrot the same thing when they see an 'apple' tag on an article. It's one thing if you personally want this stuff and thus choose not to buy an apple product. It's quite another to bash the company because you believe these are the things it need to include to be 'competitive'.

They bitch and moan about these things because they know that there are tablets that DO have them, but nobody wants to buy them because the product is SO inferior to the iPad.

The iPad SELLS!... by the millions! ... apparently these "things" it lacks are not of much concern to the target customers.

If you can't live without a USB port, then YOU ARE NOT THE iPad's TARGET CUSTOMER ! It's not a failing on Apple's part, you just aren't the customer they have in mind. Go by a Galaxy Tab already!
  • Reply 72 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Where' Slither... err I mean Zither? We need an obtuse comment from it yet.

it's still amazing how people respond to that person. And yes, I am guilty as well.

Quote:

You mean Samsung hasn't made one of those yet?
  • Reply 73 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It's possible you should be considering a CT scan of your brain... there may be something bad going on in there.

I actually have a 3D Cone Beam CT sitting right here in my office. Sadly my dosage limit is already up to my quota for this month or I could upload a sample for you to diagnose. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. I really do have one. Actually two.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    And even it were a toy and not a "real" computer, so what? What's wrong with having a toy? That's just some lame line of argumentation used by fandroids to make themselves feel better over Android's own shortcomings.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    I ordered the 4G/64GB unit March 8th, early morning, via Apple's Educational division. By that time, the order was already showing a delivery of March 19th. Today, the order has slipped to shipping "Between March 22 and 29".
  • Reply 76 of 121
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The sad thing is trolls are still polluting all comment sections with the same list they used for the original iPhone. I could excuse tht misguided thinking in 2007, but now, in 2012? After history has shown that people don't give a shit about that stuff, trolls insist these are the most important 'missing features'. ie:

-removable battery (I don't know if I've ever seen a tablet with a fucking removable battery, nor do I want to)

- USB ports

- firewire (yes. I've seen multiple comments on multiple sites lament the lack of FIREWIRE on the iPad3)

- SD slot

- 'open'

- modifiable kernel

I for one have advocated for a standard USB port since day one. That is not to troll but rather the ability to use USB hardware would go a long way to making the iPad a far more versatile device. The lack of that port hasn't stopped me from owning the iPad but it does impact how I can use the device.

Quote:

It hurts my brain when I wonder if these are actually real people with real opinions that they believe in, or some type of bots that parrot the same thing when they see an 'apple' tag on an article.

Honestly I see you as having the problem if you can't grasp that real people might have different needs than yours. What I find distressing is that neither the SD slot nor the USB port would have any impact at all on people that don't use those ports. So I really don't understand the hostility.

Quote:

It's one thing if you personally want this stuff and thus choose not to buy an apple product. It's quite another to bash the company because you believe these are the things it need to include to be 'competitive'.

This is where your major error lies, I don't care about Apples competitiveness. As I have no intention of buying something different. What I don't like is having to use a laptop when an iPad could be a superior solution if it did have that USB port. It is an issue of expanded usages where iPads portability can be effectively leveraged.

Now lots of people ask why, why not use WoFi or whatever other excuse that seems to be in vogue. Wired solutions are often superior and simpler to implement. One example (which would work even better over Thunderbolt) is the use of iPad as a display for a oscilliscope. Many USB o'scope solutions already exist, but iPad could offer up the superior solution as far as an interface goes. That is just one of hundereds of uses for a USB port.

At least in this context I don't think people try hard enough to understand what is being said. Some of these request would go a very long way towards allowing for even more uses for the iPad. It isn't an attempt to say the iPad is useless, rather that it could be even more useful.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    You do realize you can buy an attachment for like 15 bucks on Amazon to get the USB port or SD card slot you want, right? I'll agree that it'd be nice to have it built-in but you can get what you want. It can and is used by people to connect up USB devices to use with the iPad.
  • Reply 78 of 121
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Awe yeah! I just got my new iPad shipment notification email! I totally understand why Apple isn't selling them in stores until the 16th, but I wonder why they aren't delivering them sooner to people who pre-order? If my order has shipped, why not just ship it?
  • Reply 79 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

If my order has shipped, why not just ship it?

¿Que?
  • Reply 80 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The lack of that port hasn't stopped me from owning the iPad but it does impact how I can use the device.

That's funny, I hook up USB devices to my iPad all of the time. You should check out something called the CCK, made and sold by Apple.