Apple provides additional details, renderings for Cupertino campus project

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The outer radius is slightly larger than that of the Pentagon. Not sure about the inner.

Could Steve have specified a Small Hadron Collider in the basement?
  • Reply 22 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Could Steve have specified a Small Hadron Collider in the basement?

I assumed that's how they get the iPad 3's pixels so close together.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The chevrons are locking...

I like that comment
  • Reply 24 of 94
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Now if they could just buy adjacent land and build offices in the shape of a J, B & S you could see Steve's last name from space.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    What Apple has kept secret is the massive Warp Nessels that are being installed below this mother ship. Apple plans to launch this into space in the future. Their tiered upgrades will take around 5 years to complete. Once done the mother ship complex will be fully functional. Apple will then operate from Space and be able to transmit mind control over the planet. All people therefor will be at the mercy of the Apple. You must buy. You must buy. You must buy. Subliminal programming. The Apple a day keeps the doctor away is thrown out and an Apple an upgrade keeps you in a state of bliss.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Does no one else see something incredibly wrong here?[/QUOTE]

They really want to confuse competition
  • Reply 27 of 94
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Not enough for GreenPeace, for sure ...
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm told there is an identical one in Antarctica...

HAH...SG-1 references FTW
  • Reply 29 of 94
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:

By the looks of it the inner radius is longer which means the space between the two is smaller. If what I was told in school is correct the Pentagon, besides being 5-sided, is 5 stories, which 5 corridors internally, with 5 stories, and a 5 acre courtyard in the middle.

It's to match the 555 feet 5 and 0.5 inch height of the Washington Monument across the river.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

It's to match the 555 feet 5 and 0.5 inch height of the Washington Monument across the river.

Awesome fact. Thanks.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

How did I know they would put a massive bunker complex underneath this thing?

Parking and other stuff.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

From what I recall, Apple said they would be willing to sell any excess power to the city. .

Even if that's not true, I would dare say they will probably be 'off grid' in terms of using power from the city for almost all if not all of their power.

They won't have any excess solar power. With a building this size, panels on the roof will not be sufficient to meet all their needs.

Their power plant will be providing the majority of their power needs with solar providing a modest percentage. That may allow them to stop using city power under normal conditions, but they'd be foolish to not use city power as a backup, so I doubt if they'll be off the grid.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Fucking amazing.

Too bad Steve won't be around to see it built and completed.

Aye.

This building will be Apple's crowning glory.

Shame the 'the man' won't be here to see it.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    I am afraid this building will make them feel too self important nd they will lose their

Grit. Too comfy, too happy, too fat and no drive to be creative.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    bearbear Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drax7 View Post

I am afraid this building will make them feel too self important nd they will lose their

Grit. Too comfy, too happy, too fat and no drive to be creative.

Nah, they will still need creativity for the building they build after this one.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

SWEET.. Foundation base isolation. A must in areas such as SF. I would love to see the structural drawings for the building.. I know not going to happen. Anyone knows what is the inside and outside radius of the structure? I am interested in knowing where they placed the expansion joints.

I was pretty surprised to see the base isolation-- it seems out of favor for this type of building. But, I guess you don't really mave many options for lateral shear walls to tie everything together. Could it possibly be acting as a single seismic structure with just expansion joints?
  • Reply 37 of 94
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I got bashed here when I said the original plans weren't "the epitome of a green building". But it looks like Apple saved the best for last, as always. Come on, solar, let's put the energy debate to bed once and for all.

Right on.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:

Nice!
  • Reply 39 of 94
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just about the freaking coolest building ever. And certainly the coolest office building.

It's still not too late to make those apartments an offer they can't refuse and make the ring even larger?

Does no one else see something incredibly wrong here?

I'd say it is if they don't want to go back through the whole approval process again.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    Quote:

I'm told there is an identical one in Antarctica...

Yup, it's called the iPanchea project.