New iPad adopts simple product naming Steve Jobs brought to Apple in 1997

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You know your coach builders...

In the 50s, a High School (Pasadena) friend's father was restoring a '29 SJ that had been owned by a president of Mexico -- we had [wet] dreams of driving that "beautiful behemoth" down to the beach... Sigh, used my '41 Chevy Coupe instead (153624)!

My father loved Duesenbergs, and he passed much of his knowledge on to me. It amazed the both of us that people would but a chassis, and have a body custom built and installed to complete the car. In my opinion, there have been few cars that can match a Duesey in sheer style, beauty, and opulence, all rolled into one vehicle.

Unfortunately, we were never able to restore anything except a couple of Edsels, some 1950s Buicks and a 1971 Monte Carlo.
  • Reply 62 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

My father loved Duesenbergs, and he passed much of his knowledge on to me. It amazed the both of us that people would but a chassis, and have a body custom built and installed to complete the car. In my opinion, there have been few cars that can match a Duesey in sheer style, beauty, and opulence, all rolled into one vehicle.

Unfortunately, we were never able to restore anything except a couple of Edsels, some 1950s Buicks and a 1971 Monte Carlo.

I had '50 Buick... Easy to work on... Put the crank in the DynaFlow ports on either side, turn, and you could lift the hood off the car... Then just crawl in, sit on top of that big straight eight and work under the hood

God that thing did rattle when lumbering down the road! I owned a '53 MG TD at the same time... Alternating between driving the two is what made me schizo
  • Reply 63 of 131
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    Some ppl thought (for some reason) that the iPhone 4 and/or 4s was 4G phones and some bloggers said the name was misleading. Now, calling the new iPad, iPad 3 could give the impression that is 3G and calling it 4G would be bad because wi-fi only is not 4G.

HD or RD would be better suit but.... Let's just called iPad
  • Reply 64 of 131
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

agreed

I still cannot get over the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G

I genuinely thought you were joking when I read that. It's troubling is that you weren't joking! I just looked it up....
  • Reply 65 of 131
    I know this is not how it went down, but in my perfect world Apple did this to give everyone a big middle finger wanting the "iPhone 5."
  • Reply 66 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

This will all quickly fade into the past and nobody will care.

sheesh! ...The new antennagate.

It is odd what importance the name of the new iPad should take. I was mildly surprised at the number of rumor/news topic that were spawned regarding the possible name during the run-up to the release of the product.
  • Reply 67 of 131
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    This all reminds me of a discussion that took place about two years ago: "I think they (Apple) are stupid for calling their new tablet iPad ..."

The rest is history
  • Reply 68 of 131
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    [deleted]
  • Reply 69 of 131
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Geeks love complexity. You know that a company is run by geeks when they have 137 different smartphone models listed on their website. The thing is, when you have 137 different models, or even just 10 for that matter, the names you pick for them will not matter anymore. Consumers will not bother to distinguish between your 137 different models, they'll just say "let me see the Samsung". So if you think a snazzy name for your 46th smartphone model is going to help sell it, forget it.

Just one more reason why Apple is just running circles around their competitors.

the Motorola RAZR sold like crazy because it actually HAD a name. Nokia was releasing the 9999 or the 8120 or the 5150 or the 2112 or the OU812 or whatever at the time. Naming a model instead of just giving it a number was novel once, but it did help w/ sales.
  • Reply 70 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarofclay73 View Post

I know this is not how it went down, but in my perfect world Apple did this to give everyone a big middle finger wanting the "iPhone 5."

I personally believe that's exactly how it went down.

"Gosh, how stupid are our users, anyway? 6th model being named 5? Let's end this nonsense. It's embarrassing."
  • Reply 71 of 131
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Apple has been naming a lot of products that change every year or so the same without a differentiating suffix for years. not all, but many.

i think it is smart marketing/branding. but it was also a big pain in the ass for customers. when you need to know, who remembers they have a "mid 2011 iMac" for example (which i'm using now). or an "early 2009" Mac Mini? and so on.

however, with Lion (or sooner?) you can at least get directly to the correct Apple support page for your particular hardware via "About This Mac/More Info/Specifications". i found that by accident ... most users don't know about it. Apple could make it a lot easier.
  • Reply 72 of 131
    It's the 2012 iPad. The (then) new iPad that was introduced in 2012. That's just about it.

I am truly puzzled that there's so much angst over something so trival.
  • Reply 73 of 131
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The iPod came out in 2001, not 1999.
  • Reply 74 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

The thing about simple product names is that it is indeed confusing when you go to buy or compare prices.

Are they selling this year or last year's model?

A major problem with simple names for products like MacPro or MacBook Pro or now iPad is that when you try to buy a used one it is often impossible to know what you are really buying!

You have to rely on unofficial names....

Even worse is when you have to track down the model identifier like MacBookPro8.3

I rather know straight off that it is a iPhone 4GS, or iPad2.

This is a pain and NOT a good thing.

i do believe that this falls under the title of geek. The average person just wants it to work. And the iPad (generation 3) will follow. No put down intended. I know that the specs can be important but you don't need them all the time.

Just a thought. en
  • Reply 75 of 131
    m3mm3m Posts: 7member
    The key to Apple's greatness is that it considers the point of view of the customer.

Steve Jobs held in his hands prototype, pre-production, even finished products, and was not afraid to say "Not good enough; make it better before it is released." Apple sat on the phone and tablet for years until iOS was ready and worthy components were available to make the products work well and delight customers.

Microsoft pushes its operating systems onto customers' heads in ways that are both confusing and insulting. Vista was an abomination. Google rushed software into TVs and various set-top boxes and it disappointed. When Apple's TV finally arrives, it will work and be a pleasure to use.

The rationale behind the iPad name is simple. Decision makers at Apple asked themselves "if I was a customer, would this make sense?" Compared to the avalanche of choices with barely discernible differences one encounters when shopping for cell phones, PCs, TVs, cameras, etc., Apple's product presentation is sweet relief.

Because Apple product development is perfectionist, they can present their products simply rather than dissembling them to customers. The shocking thing is that other companies do not have the courage to follow their example.
  • Reply 76 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarofclay73 View Post

I suspect that it wasn't the reason... But it was in the mix.
  • Reply 77 of 131
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m3m View Post

The rationale behind the iPad name is simple. Decision makers at Apple asked themselves "if I was a customer, would this make sense?" Compared to the avalanche of choices with barely discernible differences one encounters when shopping for cell phones, PCs, TVs, cameras, etc., Apple's product presentation is sweet relief.

It's also a way of keeping owners of older devices sweet as well. For instance, we have an iPad, but I don't need to qualify which one. It's an iPad, might be an older on, but it's still an iPad.

People who want the latest will always be happy that they have the latest, and older owners will feel less marginalised by owning an older machine. Everyone is happy.
  • Reply 78 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

People who want the latest will always be happy that they have the latest, and older owners will feel less marginalised by owning an older machine. Everyone is happy.

Except the old owners who don't get iPhoto for absolutely no reason when their tablet was on the market less than a year ago.
  • Reply 79 of 131
    Let's revisit this topic in a year... after the next iPad is released... and we see what they name it.

/thread
  • Reply 80 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A few people are calling the new name dumb. Well, I'm calling those people dumb and clueless, because the new name is great and it's a very smart move, taking the future into consideration. The name is not the "new iPad", which certain people falsely believe, it's just simply iPad from now on. The new iPad is the iPad (third generation).

No what's dumb is calling your second version iPad 2 and then not numbering the rest. The sensible thing to do is be consistent that way people understand.

I find a few issues with the name. Firstly does the device actually say 3rd generation on it anywhere? Otherwise when you go to sell it how do you actually find out (this is more an issue in a few years when you have no idea how many versions there's been)

Second, what's it going to say in the compatibility list in iTunes on apps? Rather than iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 etc its now going to list of 3rd Generation, 4th Generation, which also can't be shortened to 3G as that's something completely different.

So its not like they've got rid of the individual names, there just really really long. E.g

the item listed on my order was a iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - White (3rd generation.