Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple has officially acknowledged that iPad stock set aside for preorders is sold out, while noting also that customer response to the device has been "off the charts."

Within two days of the unveiling of the new iPad, new orders of the iPad had already slipped from this Friday's launch day delivery to a ship date of March 19. Apple has since confirmed in a statement that preorders of the touchscreen tablet have run out, as noted by USA Today.

"Customer response to the new iPad has been off the charts and the quantity available for pre-order has been purchased," a company spokesperson said. "Customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date."

Given the response to the device, Apple is expected to set new sales records later this week when the device launches. Pre-existing records for the Cupertino, Calif., iPad maker were already impressive, as it experienced crushing demand for its second-generation tablet last year, with orders quickly slipping to multi-week shipping estimates. A month after the iPad 2 was released, Apple's then chief operating officer Tim Cook said during a quarterly conference call that "staggering" demand for the device had caused the "mother of all backlogs."

Apple has presumably significantly increased its production volume for iPad in anticipation of high demand, but it has also expanded its ambitions with a faster international rollout for the device. Whereas the iPad 2 was released in just the U.S. before launching overseas two weeks later, Apple plans to sell the new iPad in a total of 12 regions from day one. Those markets include: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands.

The standout features of the new iPad are its Retina Display and the addition of 4G LTE connectivity. The device also contains a faster A5X processor and an improved camera.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Interesting that it's 2-3 weeks in every country except the US, which is just the Monday following Friday, yet the US is their largest market. Is that really "sold out" if they can still service the US after a weekend?
  • Reply 2 of 425
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting that it's 2-3 weeks in every country except the US, which is just the Monday following Friday, yet the US is their largest market. Is that really "sold out" if they can still service the US after a weekend?

yes since new pre-orders won't be available on launch day.

I never knew there were so many apple fanbois buying these ipads. /s
  • Reply 3 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Surely they must be buying multiple iPads to make it look like they are selling better¡
  • Reply 4 of 425
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I can't wait to hear from all the Apple haters who insisted that it would be a failure because of the name.
  • Reply 5 of 425
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Surely they must be buying more multiple iPads to make it look like they are selling better¡

Well we all know a certain someone who is buying 3 for each of his family members.
  • Reply 6 of 425
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This release is my first pre order of anything, my iPad 1 has convinced me that an update would be worthwhile. This is especially the case because iOS 5.1 is looking really good right now as it has that iPad running smoother than ever.

The big mystery is how many iPads did they have reserved for Preorder. If iPad 3 has been in production since December we could be talking 5 million preorders sold. That is assuming 15 million produced for launch which isn't out of the ball park. That would give them about ten million to distribute through stores at launch.

In case you are wondering I'm using a production count of 15 million a quarter, for 60 million a year. To be honest though I could see them making 20 million for launch just to try to deal with the weeks of out of stock issues they have had in the past.
  • Reply 7 of 425
    Quote:

It went from a "delivery" date of March 16 to a "ship" date of March 19. Since it takes roughly 5-7 days to be delivered from Shenzhen, China, it's about a two week slip.
  • Reply 8 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

It went from a "delivery" date of March 16 to a "ship" date of March 19. Since it takes roughly 5-7 days to be delivered from Shenzhen, China, it's about a two week slip.

Mea culpa. I didn't catch that. Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 425
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

yes since new pre-orders won't be available on launch day.

It really is that good, I seldom use my Mac for mail or web access anymore. Even the iPad one is passable for basic gaming. Further the variety of apps means I'm not always encumbered with web interfaces, thus things like the IMDb, AlienBlue and a host of other apps actually improve my online experience.

I still get frustrated with some of the restrictions but I still have that Mac for when the power of UNIX is required. Speaking of which the integration with iCloud just gets better with every update cycle.
  • Reply 10 of 425
    You fools are not going to change a thing

Guess your all losing your shorts :-)))
  • Reply 11 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This release is my first pre order of anything, my iPad 1 has convinced me that an update would be worthwhile. This is especially the case because iOS 5.1 is looking really good right now as it has that iPad running smoother than ever.

The big mystery is how many iPads did they have reserved for Preorder. If iPad 3 has been in production since December we could be talking 5 million preorders sold. That is assuming 15 million produced for launch which isn't out of the ball park. That would give them about ten million to distribute through stores at launch.

In case you are wondering I'm using a production count of 15 million a quarter, for 60 million a year. To be honest though I could see them making 20 million for launch just to try to deal with the weeks of out of stock issues they have had in the past.

Apple didn't state how many iPad 2s they sold opening day or weekend. They did state the original iPad sold 300k opening day. The iPhone 4S sold over 4 million. Because of the subsidy and higher necessity of a handset over a tablet I would be shocked to see the iPad best the iPhone in unit sales within the same year.

15 million per quarter seems low to me seeing as how they did that with the iPad 2 just last quarter. NasserAE ran the numbers backed on previous sales and YoY growth rate and came up with 13.23 million for CY1Q2012, 17.06 million for CY2Q2012, and 19.34 for CY3Q2012.

I do expect Apple to issue a press release of the sales figures to help solidify the iPad as the only viable tablet option for the post-PC market.
  • Reply 12 of 425
    I certainly excited about getting mine on Friday. It's reached Louisville, KY per UPS tracking. I'm replacing an iPad 2 and doing it for the new screen.
  • Reply 13 of 425
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Reality is a bitch.

J.
  • Reply 14 of 425
    I always enjoy hearing the iHater comments saying how Apple only had about 500,000 iPads available for pre-order and that the sell-out is just Apple hype to gain attention when in reality, Apple can sell more iPads in a week than Microsoft and partners were able to sell all their tablets in ten years. There are claims that Windows 8 tablets are going to outsell the iPad in a matter of a year or so. I'm gonna laugh if hardly any consumers are interested in Windows 8 tablets since they already have iPads. By the time the new iPad goes on sale Friday, there are going to be lines around the block and the stores will be packed to overflowing for iPad and AppleTV customers. The iHaters really don't get it at all.
  • Reply 15 of 425
    All the folks who still use an iPad 1 like me, who passed on the iPad 2 are going to upgrade this year. Not to mention, all new folks will buy purchase a new iPad this year.

I wish I would have purchased Apple stock at 300. It is still a strong buy at 545!
  • Reply 16 of 425
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Apple does not use words like "off the charts" lightly. We are looking at potential blowout sales. I expect we'll see a pop in AAPL this week and more buzz out of Cupertino on the demand

Looks like a very strong quarter
  • Reply 17 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't wait to hear from all the Apple haters who insisted that it would be a failure because of the name.

i must admit i have to reflect on the current state of android tablets and say that nothing comes close to touching it. really puts the kabosh on buying anything else. why buy some 3rd rate copy? am going into a long, long holding pattern it seems.
  • Reply 18 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiball7 View Post

All the folks who still use an iPad 1 like me, who passed on the iPad 2 are going to upgrade this year. Not to mention, all new folks will buy purchase a new iPad this year.

I wish I would have purchased Apple stock at 300. It is still a strong buy at 545!

the jump from ipad 1 to ipad 3 will bring you nothing but joy. my wife has a 1 and even the 2 put it to shame.
  • Reply 19 of 425
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiball7 View Post

Yep and will be all the way to $1,000 assuming no splits
  • Reply 20 of 425
    Apple is (surely) doomed.?