Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 101 of 425
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure having less stock in stores makes the most business sense. There might be a completely valid rhyme and reason that I'm not seeing... but, by definition, I'm not seeing it.

Less stock in stores makes no sense. Apple is huge into the visual marketing thing and nothing shows and breeds demand like a news story with video and pictures showing mobs of people waiting outside of an Apple store.
  • Reply 102 of 425
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok this might be a stupid question but my tracking at FedEx says my iPad is in Kentucky. And that was as of yesterday. I live in Minnesota. If its in Kentucky how can it take until Friday to be delivered to Minnesota?
  • Reply 103 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Samsung builds and designs some of the components and so ALL the HW is now something Samsung has their hands on? How the frak does that make sense?

Very little of the HW appears to be from Samsung. Even if the assemble the A5X chip most of it isn't from Samsung just like Foxconn assembling the iPad doesn't mean that it's a Foxconn iPad.

Where did you get the idea that the IPS LCD is a Samsung display? All evidence points to LG being the inventors backed by Apple's investment with multiple foundries used to assemble the displays.

There are literally dozens of companies from many countries supplying something to the iPad but you think it makes sense to single out what Apple hires Samsung to supply and say it's a Samsung device? Really?!

PS: It's simply amazing the lengths some of you will go to claim a company is pathetic and pointless. No CE is built in a bubble.

Sammy needs to stand in line for the new iPad -- so they can copy the box
  • Reply 104 of 425
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No surprise at all! Anybody with a half a brain saw this coming.

Unfortunately many people are apparently missing normal, functioning brains.

And it's not just iPad 1 owners and people who don't have iPads who have ordered. I believe that many people who already have iPad 2's have also ordered the new one. I certainly did!

This is no small upgrade, like some clueless morons claim. It is a major, major upgrade, featuring a mind blowing screen that has never before existed on any consumer device.

It's going to be a terrible year for Fandroids all over the world! Isn't that great?

It's not just the improved screen, it is a faster processor (graphics mostly), more RAM, 4G LTE for those that need it and are willing to pay for it, plus much improved software/apps, video camera, etc. Apple has the better customer experience with everything surrounding the hardware to make it the better choice.
  • Reply 105 of 425
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree, 90% of the iPad buyers are clueless about computers which is why iPad is perfect for them. It

Weren't you the guy who was slamming the original iPad when it came out?

You are the one who simply does not get it. You didn't get it back then and you don't get it now.

How does it feel to be so completely wrong?
  • Reply 106 of 425
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok this might be a stupid question but my tracking at FedEx says my iPad is in Kentucky. And that was as of yesterday. I live in Minnesota. If its in Kentucky how can it take until Friday to be delivered to Minnesota?

You may get it a day early. Fedex is not allowed to deliver it sooner even if they could easily do it.
  • Reply 106 of 425
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Unions. Yours is also not the only box on the truck.
  • Reply 108 of 425
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It's not just the improved screen, it is a faster processor (graphics mostly), more RAM, 4G LTE for those that need it and are willing to pay for it, plus much improved software/apps, video camera, etc. Apple has the better customer experience with everything surrounding the hardware to make it the better choice.

I of course agree!
  • Reply 109 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Ha Ha just depends on "which pundits" you read about. Lol there were a ton of them saying the "new iPad is a mediocre upgrade and still are saying it one even said that the windows 8 pads were going to put the "new iPad" to shame its funny really how distant from reality some of these bloggers are

Apparently the NY Times chaned their headline after complaints. Their original headline mirrored the Associated Press which called it a modest upgrade.
  • Reply 110 of 425
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would say you're mistaken. I really don't think there are "plenty of articles and blogs" predicting Microsoft-based tablets will overtake those using Android anytime soon Soli. I think you may have misunderstood what you've seen. Let me know if you find a reputable one.

There's an article here with projections from Gartner and IDC. Neither of them see Microsoft overtaking Android tablet share, and both see Apple leading at least thru 2014.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...t-gartner-ipad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Franky, we don't care. Thanks anyway.

• Reply 111 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SavedByTechnology View Post

I sold my iPad 1 32GB 3G to my 70-year old mother for $200 last week. She's been wanting one, and $200 was a lot better than $300 for a refurbished 16GB wifi model. And she wouldn't take it for nothing since she knew I was upgrading to the 'New iPad'.

Anyhow, went up yesterday to see how she liked it "WONDERFUL!!!" and updated it to iOS 5.1, and the thing is running better than at any time I ever had it! Even Infinity Blade plays fine without crashing She loves the fact that she can show off her grandkids, surf the web and email...the basic stuff, which the original iPad is great for. Glad to see it found a happy home. Now I'm having iPad withdrawal symptoms and have to wait until Friday for the new one

I did similar. I'm giving my wife's parents my iPad 2 for Christmas. But I sure as hell wasn't going to give them my iPad 2 on Christmas day. I ordered my upgrade on launch with the same difficulty as most. Can't wait to get the New iPad. Wife's folks will be thrilled once we set them up with wifi in their home.
  • Reply 112 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Some stupid comments from AnandTech:
    Quote:

Won't happen, Apple uses off the shelf parts. The same parts as any one else, the tech does allow you to create a 9.7" 2048x1536 display, just like they did that resolution on the same tech in lower end/last gen older fabs ten years ago at 15" laptops. It's a standard resolution, one normally supported by CRT monitors and VGA-cards via the analog connections. At least since we had 300MHz RAMDAC. Which ends you up back in the 90's. Much higher then our current resolutions won't be supported on laptops though, so you can forget about 2880x1800 resolution on Macbooks (the is no reason to go 4 times the resolution here, laptops hasn't been stuck at a specific resolution and held back for that matter) as the integrated Intel graphics won't have the bandwidth to drive that resolution at 60Hz (or above) and GCN is the first architecture that has the bandwidth to drive 4k displays over DP/HDMI or anything over 2560x1600 @ 60Hz for that matter. You will need enough LVDS, TMDS or Displayport bandwidth to transmit a resolution like that as well as video card support. Others have showed up a range of other resolutions up to 1920x1200 because that's what is out in the supplychain or what they custom order, they of course has other considerations then to market it as as much pixels the eye can see. While Apple was intentionally not upgrading it's 1024x768 display others where doing 1280x800 way down to 7.7" on the same display tech, planning on going 1920x1200 on displays that is far less prototypes then the devices showing them, but major product updates and releases won't come at any time, so you would have to wait until they replace their top products. Just as you would have to wait for Apples release cycle to put out new stuff. Of course Apple uses parts from these companies that is "babbling", like displays, memories, NAND-storage, batteries, SSDs, harddrives, gpus, wireless hardware, mobile graphics vendors and so on. The PowerVR SGX 543MP4(+) is already out in consumer products like PS Vita for example.

Samsung is one of the major manufacturers of these new iPad LCD-panels. It's Samsung's, LG Display's or Sharp's own tech.

Quote:

-Our beloved customers are ready to give us more of their money for trendy gadget upgrade. We gotta sell them 'The New iPad', what have we got to "revolutionize"?

-Nothing.

-Eh, not even some app like Siri that we can remove from app store and shamelessly claim to make yet another breakthrough?

-Nope.

-Bah, let's play 'retina" display card then.

-Well, we only got 264 points per inch display, we claimed "retina display" to be 326 ppi, can we still claim 264ppi is retina?

-We are Apple dude, we can claim anything! (besides dudes like Anand will find excuses to demonstrate we were right)

-Right. Anyway, we'd need more powerful hardware too keep up old speeds at new resolution. (dudes like Anand will still make us look better, by using useless to customers off-screen benchmark) so we'd need a bigger battery.

-So it will be bigger, heavier and take longer to charge?

-Yep.

-Oh well, but it will still have "retina display". Should still sell well.

Good times!I'll take AI's trolls any day.
  • Reply 113 of 425
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SavedByTechnology

I sold my iPad 1 32GB 3G to my 70-year old mother for $200 last week.

How considerate of you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisRankin View Post

I did similar. I'm giving my wife's parents my iPad 2 for Christmas.

Don't you just love used Christmas presents?
  • Reply 114 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then why bother replying?

To try and stop you. But I realize it's futile....
  • Reply 115 of 425
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Apple should embed a hardware Easter egg in the new ipad. Some crazy ass unidentifiable device that glows in the dark and has a stamp that can only be viewed through a microscope that says "Roswell1947" or something like that.
  • Reply 116 of 425
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Your lack of knowledge astounds! The A5X is most certainly not samsungs chip. It is a custom asic designed by apple based on the arm core but with a ton of custom add ons inside.

Did I say they designed the A5X, no I said they supplied it, and Apple has tried to get another party to supply it (TSMC) and they had to revert to Samsung.

Samsung (different branch) does design their own ARM soc's, and they are one of the best on the market. In fact I'm saying it wrong, as ARM designs the ARM deisgn (but that's just a part of the overall process in creating a soc)
  • Reply 117 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How considerate of you.

Don't you just love used Christmas presents?

Really? Who wouldn't love a free iPad. And their computer needs are so basic. They will love the "used" iPad 2. And if anyone else wants to give me their used iPad 2 for Christmas I'll gladly accept another one.
  • Reply 118 of 425
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This release is my first pre order of anything, my iPad 1 has convinced me that an update would be worthwhile. This is especially the case because iOS 5.1 is looking really good right now as it has that iPad running smoother than ever.

The big mystery is how many iPads did they have reserved for Preorder. If iPad 3 has been in production since December we could be talking 5 million preorders sold. That is assuming 15 million produced for launch which isn't out of the ball park. That would give them about ten million to distribute through stores at launch.

In case you are wondering I'm using a production count of 15 million a quarter, for 60 million a year. To be honest though I could see them making 20 million for launch just to try to deal with the weeks of out of stock issues they have had in the past.

Your 60 million is way too conservative.
  • Reply 119 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unions. Yours is also not the only box on the truck.

I thought FedEx was non-union.
  • Reply 120 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

To try and stop you. But I realize it's futile....

I read nothing trollish about his reply to me. He made a sound rebuttal and offered a link that backs up his position. That's exactly the kind of discourse I expect from this forum.