Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 261 of 425
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

If you read the post I use my Asus Slider as a laptop because It can run things like Eclipse on it. I use it for programming, why not is has a really nice keyboard. I'm a Unix person who always pushes the envelope on all my device.

You can use your really nice keyboard to ssh into a server. I don't understand the value of hosting those services on the tablet.
  • Reply 262 of 425
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Those numbers are misleading. In order to get there, they had to include stuff like the Kindle Fire - which is not affecting Apple's sales.

What? You are joking? Why do you think they kept the iPad 2 and lowered the price.
  • Reply 263 of 425
    [QUOTE=Relic;2069172]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

Yep, love the iPad for music creation. My only point is I now use my tablet as my laptop and I think the world is going in this direction.

Quote:

If you read the post I use my Asus Slider as a laptop because It can run things like Eclipse on it. I use it for programming, why not is has a really nice keyboard. I'm a Unix person who always pushes the envelope on all my device.

LOL hardcore progammer on an ASUS slider. I like ASUS products, my monitor is an ASUS pa246 hooked up to my MAC, but I not going to fork out $$$$ on a consumption device to do some programming. Get a laptop for the same $$$ and stop trolling on this site!
  • Reply 264 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Ok answer this question please..

If it's not a toy why do they show small children using it in Apple's TV advertising for the iPad?

You can even buy it at Toys R Us.

So that means all of these laptops are toys because they are also sold at Toys R Us?
  • Reply 265 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To be fair some of their numbers are committed, non-reversable sales to retailers that may not have reached customers hands or in some cases may still be in retailer distribution centers before being sent to stores.

Very true... but that tiny amount is more than some OEM's entire production runs!

I would be curious to know... has a store ever sent an iPad back to Apple because they couldn't sell it?

I don't know how many iPads a particular store like Target orders... but I can't imagine a single iPad stays on the shelf for more than a few days.
  • Reply 266 of 425
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
    • A desktop UI can't be whipped up and I've seen no evidence that netbook feature will offer one.

• The netbook keyboard and battery option is an option which means less buyers than the main smartphone/tablet combo which translates into less support than will probably be desired by users.

• A netbook that is running ARM, even a fast ARM chip is still slow. If you are using a desktop you are likely wanting something more robust unless it's just general word processing.

• If a call comes in and I'm using the netbook or tablet I have to stop what I'm doing and remove the phone from inside the device.

• I'm seen the price for just the tablet/smartphone to be over $1000 USD.

I can't see this making any sense for a smartphone user, but I can see how plugging a tablet into a docking station that offered a good windowed UI could have its benefits.

The speed on my Asus Slider is actually pretty quick for what I'm doing and this new Padphone is 3 times faster. I'm just a programmer, so I use a IDE like Eclipse and Zend, a few services like LAMP and Tomcat all which run very quickly. When you get a phone call you can answer it right on the tablet, you can either use the speaker phone or use the included stylus as the phone, yes it has a mini microphone and speaker in the fricken pen. How cool is that.

I get your point though. I travel very extensively for work and the less equipment I can bring the easier my life is. That's why I love tablets, most of them have great battery life and are fast enough for what I do on them. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much I bitch and complain Apple isn't going to install a lite or any version of OSX on their tablets. So I have to bring a laptop if I want to do any editing of my programs. However I found that Android 4.03 offers me a workable solution that gives me the best of both worlds. The power of a Linux based OS that begs to be hacked into little pieces. My Asus Slider is even overclocked to 1.6 GHZ without much in the way of better loss, how neat is that.

Still I would prefer a iPad, wasn't there a company that converted Apple Macbooks into tablets?
  • Reply 267 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I've posted this before, so might as well post it again. The upgrade on this model, the new iPad, will be almost the entire installed use of the iPad 1 and the iPad 2. The iPad 1 hangers on will have been waiting for the typical two cycle upgrade, the iPad 2 users will be impressed by the screen.

I read - on an online forum - about a massive "drop" in iPad 2 prices. There has been a drop but on eBay UK the average lowest price is £297, although I can see someone selling one for £400. Good luck with that one.

The cost of an upgrade - new Screen, LTE ( if it matters in the UK), faster graphics etc. - is £200.

There is no economic reason for the iPad 2 holders to not upgrade. Surely this upgrade is worth £200 ( less for people who sold a few weeks ago). This is doubling of the upgrade cycle, it's reduced to one rather than two years. The iPad 1 is selling at about £200, so a mere £300 to get a new one. ( all of these are the lowest entry model but the pattern is the same throughout the line).

So a 90% upgrade cycle.

And the old iPads? If not sold, handed to family. Will, mostly, stay in use. They will be the new upgraders to the next iPad. Coming later this year.

EDIT: I mislead. Those prices were not averages but the from price on eBay. £297 is the lowest price on ebay for the 16GB model iPad2 and £200 is the lowest price for the iPad 1.

90% upgrade cycle? I don't think so. Maybe for iPad 1 owners but not for iPad 2 owners. I'm not upgrading my iPad 2 coz I wanted a 128GB version. Who cares about the screen. The screen on my iPad 2 is very good. I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.
  • Reply 268 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

So that means all of these laptops are toys because they are also sold at Toys R Us?

Man those are some ugly notebooks. I think Toshiba has maybe three models that I would consider buying.
  • Reply 269 of 425
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.

And faster processor, bigger battery, better camera?

Sounds suspiciously like the stuff we've had to rattle off when people claim the iPhone 4S wasn't an actual upgrade.

I'm not refuting your point; I certainly don't think iPad 2 owners (and even some iPad 1 owners) would necessarily upgrade, I'm just clarifying.
  • Reply 270 of 425
    If Apple know they're going to sell 10million in the first week and they make 6 million units then clearly sales will be off the hook. Therefore great headlines and higher stock.

If they made 30 million units and had 15 million orders, would sales be reported as poor?

I'd like to know the projected numbers versus units made.
  • Reply 271 of 425
    Quote:

90% upgrade cycle? I don't think so. Maybe for iPad 1 owners but not for iPad 2 owners. I'm not upgrading my iPad 2 coz I wanted a 128GB version. Who cares about the screen. The screen on my iPad 2 is very good. I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.

I thought about buying the ipad 2 3 months ago, but knowing that Apple upgrades every year, I put it off and am glad I have. Can't wait to get the new IPAD!
  • Reply 272 of 425
    [QUOTE=pacificfilm;2069097]
    Quote:

"... Maybe "toy" is juvenile - it's an entertainment device shall we say. Which as you say is probably what most people use their computers at home for anyway.."

Then you better let: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, 35% of doctors surveyed in the EU (1,207 physicians in the U.K., France, Germany, Spain, and Italy about their iPad use. Among the respondents, 26% said they own an iPad and spend 27% of their professional online time using the device), AMC of USAF (refueling for AF Transport planes), adoption by schools from kindergarten through University level....that they are dealing with a toy!

Sounds like my uncle, a geezer who is convinced of what he is convinced of, the facts notwithstanding. One of his fav quotes is "Don't bug me with your junk science, boy, I've been in business longer than you've been alive." (followed by a smile of knowingness.'

"..but it?s nice to wind up all the radical fanbois on here once in a while. It stops them howling at the moon instead..."

If you're here to 'wind up' "radical fanbois" then talking real info about technology is like peeing in the ocean. Nothing changes, and you definitely have time on your hands to spend it 'winding up people.'

The pilots will be playing Angry Birds on it before the end of the flight just like the rest of us.
  • Reply 273 of 425
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

the cost, as I pointed out - the main part of my argument - is not £659 for a new model but £200. Once you trade the old one.
  • Reply 274 of 425
    Quote:

Quote:

The speed on my Asus Slider is actually pretty quick for what I'm doing and this new Padphone is 3 times faster. I'm just a programmer, so I use a IDE like Eclipse and Zend, a few services like LAMP and Tomcat all which run very quickly. When you get a phone call you can answer it right on the tablet, you can either use the speaker phone or use the included stylus as the phone, yes it has a mini microphone and speaker in the fricken pen. How cool is that.

I get your point though. I travel very extensively for work and the less equipment I can bring the easier my life is. That's why I love tablets, most of them have great battery life and are fast enough for what I do on them. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much I bitch and complain Apple isn't going to install a lite or any version of OSX on their tablets. So I have to bring a laptop if I want to do any editing of my programs. However I found that Android 4.03 offers me a workable solution that gives me the best of both worlds. The power of a Linux based OS that begs to be hacked into little pieces. My Asus Slider is even overclocked to 1.6 GHZ without much in the way of better loss, how neat is that.

Still I would prefer a iPad, wasn't there a company that converted Apple Macbooks into tablets?

Yep Macbook Air and get a watch phone with a bluetooth headset like the Sennheiser MM450 if you are worried about carrying too much!
  • Reply 275 of 425
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple hasn't released numbers but their comments are based on actual orders by end users, not shipments to sit in the stores.

WRONG! It is simply Apple trying to make it look like they are selling a lot of iPads.

/s <- this /s means end of sarcasm.

I guess you missed the comment I quoted and the /s (meaning end of sarcasm) at the end of my comment. (having to explain really screws it up...)

Quote:

They are Samsung after all

• Reply 276 of 425
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It all depends on how you define 'market'. In the real world, Tim Cook publicly stated that they are not seeing any sign of the Fire taking any iPad customers. That's pretty strong evidence that the Fire isn't real competition for the iPad.

That's the thing about customers who don't buy your product. You don't see them! Did Apple call you after you ordered a Dell and ask why you didn't come to them? If there was no Kindle Fire, and no other competing tablet on the market, do you really think that Apple wouldn't have sold more iPads?

Yeah, that's how you know the Fire is taking iPad customers.

My clients (I'm in the computer support business) choose between iPad and Kindle all the time. While I recommend iPad generally, if they are buying it for a 8 year old, or 3 of them, and $1500 is a lot of money, I won't discourage them from the Kindle fire. If the Fire didn't exist, I would tell them just buy an iPad for the family and keep it well protected.

That's a lost sale, and I'm PRETTY sure my clients aren't the only outliers who consider the extra $400 investment to be difficult.
  • Reply 277 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, the thing is, "running a business" generally involves managing emails, scheduling, accounts, payments, orders, assets, possibly a web presence, payroll, records, various forms, etc.

There's nothing in that list that isn't well within the capabilities of an iPad. In terms of actual computing horsepower, they're trivial. For certain things a keyboard is handy, but those are available for the iPad as well.

Even if your specific preferred software isn't yet available, that's not a structural problem with the iPad, it's just a matter of the newness of the platform. With the speed at which the iPad is moving into various markets, new business software is coming online daily. Arguably the biggest hole is Office, but rumor has it that's on the way (and MS would be foolish not to, even if they wait until after their Windows 8 version is shipping).

Even within the specific feature sets of a given iPad port of a given software title the same principle applies as what I'm claiming for computers-- that for instance Office is vastly more powerful and unwieldy than most users want or need, and an iPad version, while almost certainly less expansive than its desktop counterpart, will nevertheless probably satisfy the majority of the use cases. I suspect that's true of a whole raft of software titles-- tablet ports are going to focus on what's really needed, and discard several generations of feature bloat. At which point people start wondering the same thing they wonder when they start using their iPad for a lot of tasks formerly done on desktops or laptops-- "Why did I need all that extra stuff"?

I use my computer probably 10 hours a day. I would go cross eyed looking at a 10" screen for that length of time day after day.

Second point - I usually have at least 5 applications running on my computer at the same so I can flip between them quickly. When you can do that on an iPad come back and tell me how it's an alternative to the Mac/PC for people who use their computer for more than pissing about on the internet, email and watching TV.
  • Reply 278 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

Yep Macbook Air and get a watch phone with a bluetooth headset like the Sennheiser MM450 if you are worried about carrying too much!

Oh I have one, the 11" i7 variant, just prefer using my tablet more, love touchscreens. I'm also a big believer in the one device can do it all theory and will always reward a company by purchasing a device that attempts to do it.
  • Reply 279 of 425
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Oh I have one, the 11" i7 variant, just prefer using my tablet more, love touchscreens. I'm also a big believer in the one device can do it all theory and will always reward a company by purchasing a device that attempts to do it.

a truck is not a car.
  • Reply 280 of 425
    Quote:

I use my computer probably 10 hours a day. I would go cross eyed looking at a 10" screen for that length of time day after day.

Second point - I usually have at least 5 applications running on my computer at the same so I can flip between them quickly. When you can do that on an iPad come back and tell me how it's an alternative to the Mac/PC for people who use their computer for more than pissing about on the internet, email and watching TV.

Great, you have your device. Each to his own but don't put people down for just using their devices how they want to.