New iPhoto and iMovie apps can be manually copied to the original iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

As someone already pointed out the original iPad had 256 MB DDR RAM and not 128MB as you have said twice now. Granted the iPad 2 had twice that amount and apparently the newest iPad has 1GB. Your point may be valid to a degree but stop saying 128MB.

Mea culpa. Was thinking of the original iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    I can get iPhoto into the configuration library from Mobile Applications. but then using the Add+ button to move it to my iPad just brings up the message "This Mobile Application already exists. Do you want to replace it?"

I'm doing something stupid, or not doing something obvious. Someone put me out of my misery, please.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    mrialmrial Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

I can get iPhoto into the configuration library from Mobile Applications. but then using the Add+ button to move it to my iPad just brings up the message "This Mobile Application already exists. Do you want to replace it?"

I'm doing something stupid, or not doing something obvious. Someone put me out of my misery, please.

You don't click the Add+ button ... that is to add the App to the Utility. Once it is in the Utility, you click the "install" button to the right of the App name. Be patient, it takes a couple of minutes to do it's thing.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    iMovie will load and run on my original iPad but it doesn't seem to see clips I made with the iPhone 4S. It will see photos though. Any way to get the original iPad to view this video clips made with an iPhone?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrial View Post

You don't click the Add+ button ... that is to add the App to the Utility. Once it is in the Utility, you click the "install" button to the right of the App name. Be patient, it takes a couple of minutes to do it's thing.

Thanks mrial

I installed the Utility, plugged in my iPad, then selected it under the DEVICES heading. Dan's next step reads "Once they're in the Configuration Utility library, you can click the Install button for each app from the Application tab of the device you want to install them on."

So I assumed I needed to get iPhoto into the Configuration Utility Library. How do I get it into the Utility without Adding it ?

Library Devices shows my iPad name and serial, Applications is empty, and DEVICES>iPad shows my current installed Apps.

Been a long day, but if you could just point me right...
  • Reply 26 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Thanks mrial

I installed the Utility, plugged in my iPad, then selected it under the DEVICES heading. Dan's next step reads "Once they're in the Configuration Utility library, you can click the Install button for each app from the Application tab of the device you want to install them on."

So I assumed I needed to get iPhoto into the Configuration Utility Library. How do I get it into the Utility without Adding it ?

Library Devices shows my iPad name and serial, Applications is empty, and DEVICES>iPad shows my current installed Apps.

You do click the add button from the application menu (on the left of the screen). Then when you switch to the iPad device menu, the Applications tab will show the app ready to install. Main thing is every step takes a lot of time to copy the files so just be patient. If it seems to stall at any point as in no result and no spinning beach ball, just repeat the steps. It does work though.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Thanks mrial

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

You do click Add+ to add iPhoto App to the utility. When you Add+, you will have to find the App you bought in the iTunes library ... "...they'll be within your Music folder under iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications."

After finding your app, Click "Open". It will show up in the utility's "Applications".

Click on your iPad name under "Devices" in the utility and then click the "Applications" tap. You should see all the Apps installed on your iPad.

Scroll to the iPhoto App and click "Install".

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You do click the add button from the application menu (on the left of the screen). Then when you switch to the iPad device menu, the Applications tab will show the app ready to install. Main thing is every step takes a lot of time to copy the files so just be patient. If it seems to stall at any point as in no result and no spinning beach ball, just repeat the steps. It does work though.

I click the Add button from the Application menu and navigate to iPhoto in iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications. iPhoto is now in my Applications on Config Utility. I click on the iPad in Devices and go to the Applications tab and I don't see the App - no spinning beachballs, nothing happening. I've left it for 20 minutes.

I think I should just give up and wait for my iPad 3 on Friday?

But thanks for your help and patience.

JTM
  • Reply 29 of 48
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    There seems to be no problem running iPhoto or swiping through large library on 1st gen iPad for me. So it doesn't appear to be a RAM limitation. The only issue I'm having is how to get past the Authorize/not Authorize loop....

Installed fine using Configuration Utility.

MESSAGE #1 " This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad ?Solsun's iPad?. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?"

So I click "AUTHORIZE" and enter password

MESSAGE # 2: "This computer is already authorized. Including this one, you have authorized 3 computers of your available 5.

So, I click "OK"

MESSAGE #3 "This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad ?Solsun's iPad?. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?"

endless loop. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

There seems to be no problem running iPhoto or swiping through large library on 1st gen iPad for me. So it doesn't appear to be a RAM limitation. The only issue I'm having is how to get past the Authorize/not Authorize loop....

Installed fine using Configuration Utility.

MESSAGE #1 " This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad ?Solsun's iPad?. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?"

So I click "AUTHORIZE" and enter password

MESSAGE # 2: "This computer is already authorized. Including this one, you have authorized 3 computers of your available 5.

So, I click "OK"

MESSAGE #3 "This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad ?Solsun's iPad?. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?"

endless loop. Any suggestions?

After installing iPhoto on my iPad 1 I'm having the same exact issue...and it's really annoying! I can click "Cancel" to make the message go away...but when I make any changes and try to sync my iPad the message loop starts all over again.

Although iPhoto installs on the original iPad this way...and appears to work okay, it's useless if I can no longer sync my iPad. I'm going to have to uninstall iPhoto unless someone has a suggestion as to how to fix this issue.

Until then, these instructions shouldn't be posted as "working" IMHO.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

After installing iPhoto on my iPad 1 I'm having the same exact issue...and it's really annoying! I can click "Cancel" to make the message go away...but when I make any changes and try to sync my iPad the message loop starts all over again.

Although iPhoto installs on the original iPad this way...and appears to work okay, it's useless if I can no longer sync my iPad. I'm going to have to uninstall iPhoto unless someone has a suggestion as to how to fix this issue.

Until then, these instructions shouldn't be posted as "working" IMHO.

Turn off *app* syncing with the iPad and iTunes. It just downloads them from the cloud, anyway, so no need to sync anymore, is there?
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Turn off *app* syncing with the iPad and iTunes. It just downloads them from the cloud, anyway, so no need to sync anymore, is there?

D'oh! That makes perfect sense...should have thought of it.

That did the trick! Thanks!

One oddity...iTunes no longer opened automatically when I connected my iPad or iPhone. I had to reboot my iMac and that fixed it.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 33 of 48
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    If I turn off app syncing in iTunes, I just get a message that all apps and their data will be deleted. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    I have the same issue. Oddly, I had iMovie 1.2 and it showed as installable. But neither iMovie 1.3 or iPhoto appear in the installable list, even though they are in the Config Utility library. EDIT: When I install iMovie 1.2, after giving the install time to complete, I get the message "an unknown error has occurred."

I suspect Apple has silently rolled out new versions of these apps that have a flag set that prevents them from being manually installed in the old hardware.

EDIT 2:

Here are the error messages seen in the config utility console:

<Error>: unrecognized status -25293 from codesigning library

<Error>: 2ffd8000 verify_signer_identity: Could not copy validate signature: -402620415

<Error>: 2ffd8000 preflight_application_install: Could not verify executable at /var/tmp/install_staging.WwaHbP/iMovie.app

mobile_installation_proxy[343] <Error>: handle_install: Installation failed

installd[339] <Error>: 2ffd8000 install_application: Could not preflight application install

installd[339] <Error>: 2ffd8000 handle_install: API failed

installd[339] <Error>: 2ffd8000 send_message: failed to send mach message of 71 bytes: 10000003

installd[339] <Error>: 2ffd8000 send_error: Could not send error response to client

Quote:

I click the Add button from the Application menu and navigate to iPhoto in iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications. iPhoto is now in my Applications on Config Utility. I click on the iPad in Devices and go to the Applications tab and I don't see the App - no spinning beachballs, nothing happening. I've left it for 20 minutes.

I think I should just give up and wait for my iPad 3 on Friday…

JTM

• Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I can only assume that Apple decided to exclude the 1st generation iPad because it doesn't have a build in camera or maybe because it doesn't have the A5 processor. Who knows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see why they didn't authorize it for the original iPad because it doesn't have a camera but is there any performance issues with any aspect of the app that could be a reason why it wasn't included. After all the original iPad has a paltry 128MB RAM yet the app supports 19Mpx images and looks pretty lick in the video by allowing you to scroll through many photos quickly.

Uhmmm... So I have iPhoto & iMovie on my Mac Mini, and the mini doesn't have a camera. So why should a camera be needed when using these apps on an iPad? Other than some engineer wrote the code that way... or maybe I should ask, is there some hidden benefit in not allowing the original iPad to run iPhoto... beside coercing users to upgrade?
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foris View Post

If I turn off app syncing in iTunes, I just get a message that all apps and their data will be deleted. Am I missing something?

I saw the same message, but none of my apps or data were deleted. If you're worried you can always run a backup before doing anything and then restore from the backup if anything goes missing. So far iPhoto is running fine on my original iPad and I have no issues with other apps.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Uhmmm... So I have iPhoto & iMovie on my Mac Mini, and the mini doesn't have a camera. So why should a camera be needed when using these apps on an iPad? Other than some engineer wrote the code that way... or maybe I should ask, is there some hidden benefit in not allowing the original iPad to run iPhoto... beside coercing users to upgrade?

They've done similar things before...multitasking gestures comes to mind. They didn't work with the original iPad until a later update. It's possible that there's a "horsepower" issue but I haven't seen it with iPhoto yet...seems to work fine with editing, saving, journal, etc. It's not as robust of as iPhoto for OS X (I wouldn't expect it to be) but it's a very nice app.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If the new iPhoto still runs acceptably on the iPad 1 that's pretty impressive programming imo.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Hi, thanks for posting this, sounded like a good idea, until I tried it.

I can see the iphoto application in the ipad list, clicked install and get

"Could not install application on device. Error: The application does not have a valid signature." (in case you can't see the img)

Any advice?

Thanks
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

I think I should just give up and wait for my iPad 3 on Friday?

JTM

Just as an update, the process only works on devices that have iOS 5.1 installed. Would have been good to know that from the start !