Online orders of new iPad will now take up to 3 weeks to ship

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Customers who waited to order their new iPad from Apple's online store will now also wait two to three weeks for their order to ship.

Estimated shipping times for new iPad orders have slipped yet again, with all models now advertised to ship within two to three weeks. That applies to both black and white colors, all capacities, and even the 4G LTE models compatible with AT&T and Verizon.

Customers can still attempt to get their hands on a new iPad by waiting in line at an Apple retail store. The company will have additional units available for purchase at its brick-and-mortar locations for this Friday's official launch.

While demand for the new iPad has forced Apple to delay estimated shipping times, the wait for an iPad 2 remains unchanged. Both black and white 16GB Wi-Fi-only models, available for $399, ship in one to three days, while the 3G-capable models have an identical estimated shipping time.

Over the weekend, Apple issued an official comment on the strong demand it has seen for the new iPad, which led to the initial batch of preorders selling out in just two days.

"Customer response to the new iPad has been off the charts and the quantity available for pre-order has been purchased," a company spokesperson said. "Customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date."

Launch-day iPads sold out from Apple's online store last Friday, and Apple began to advertise that new orders would ship by March 19. But as of Monday, customers will have to wait up to three weeks to receive their new iPad.

Those who were among the first to preorder the third-generation iPad have already begun receiving notifications that their order has shipped, and many packages are being held at FedEx shipping centers in Nashville, Tenn., or UPS facilities in Louisville, Ken. However, the iPads are not scheduled to actually be delivered until Friday, the product's official launch day.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Just got shipping notification for Friday... Not bragging... Just saying

I suspect/estimate/guess that they are currently producing 75k per day and are ramping production. I say their onhand stockpile was 3-5 million which has been burnt through. Well, that's my guess anyways

Just hoping my first iPad is super terrific!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    This is nice news for Apple shareholders. It will be interesting to see if they give actual numbers sold/ordered over the weekend.

It will also be interesting to see what the general public says about the new iPad when it actually gets into their hands.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    I knew something like this was going to happen as the site was inaccessible right after the launch. I know at least 3 people who are buying them for the first time and at least a dozen others who jumped on the chance to buy the older iPad 2 at a discount.

Anyway, FedEx is holding mine in PA for Friday delivery. In the comments section is says "Future delivery requested"
  • Reply 4 of 64
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Cue the Apple SLAMboys and Faux News...

Apple is delaying the iPad launch

No iPad on March 16

This is all a ploy to show demand

Pre-orders held back for weeks

Problems with high-res screens

A5X GPU melts down

China shut down iPad production because of trademark dispute

Any more? Just trying to save some posters here some time.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Remember the Kinect as "selling faster than the iPad"? How it's selling 2x faster than the iPad, breaking world records, etc etc... But guess how many Kinects have been sold ~all time~ ... 18 million. iPads? Over 50 million, and I suspect currently outpacing Kinect sales.

After I finish Mass Effect 3 for Xbox360 I'm going to trade that in along with Gears of War 3 and trade-in the Kinect too.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Cue the Apple SLAMboys and Faux News...

Apple is delaying the iPad launch

No iPad on March 16

This is all a ploy to show demand

Pre-orders held back for weeks

Problems with high-res screens

A5X GPU melts down

China shut down iPad production because of trademark dispute

I find the Apple Delays Delivery of New iPad headline to be the most misleading.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...html?ana=yfcpc
  • Reply 7 of 64
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    You know, if Apple were really genius, they would just ship it to the delivery center near my house before they announce it like how Amazon/Fedex (?) does it. That way, I could get my order in mere hours. Better yet, they could sit in front of my house before I go click the buy button when they could immediately ring my doorbell. I'm sure they have already calculated a percentage of guaranteed sales before product launch. Too bad they aren't in the hardware shipping business, if their hardware were digital..

Actually they should just have an ordering system of who doesn't want one.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    Had one in cart on day 1, should have pulled the trigger.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    We all know this is just all the Apple fanboys pre-ordering this disappointing iPad refresh, right? After they all have one, nobody will buy the wretched things! /s
  • Reply 10 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The Apple Tv will now take up to 2 weeks as well... I guess consumers aren't put off by the "incremental" upgrade or the new "lousy" UI.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

you forget the one about how they cut off the UK etc to give more to US buyers which is why deliveries in the UK are being delayed (although not all of them) with some excuse about the shipping company having issues
  • Reply 11 of 64
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    I would guess calendar Q2 sales at 15M: 13M New, 2 M iPad 2s.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

You know - They really had to have planned for much higher sales than previously. So if they are still sold out, demand must be astounding.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

I suspect/estimate/guess that they are currently producing 75k per day and are ramping production. I say their onhand stockpile was 3-5 million which has been burnt through. Well, that's my guess anyways

My iPad 2 still is super terrific. I am sure the new iPad is just that much more. You are going to have an great weekend.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Huh?

Apple sold 15.4 million iPad 2s in the holiday quarter. You're saying that shipments dropped that much in the first calendar quarter. My guess would be 8 million IP2 and 5 million iPv3.

Why guess? Hey... it's fun for some of us.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Huh?

Apple sold 15.4 million iPad 2s in the holiday quarter. You're saying that shipments dropped that much in the first calendar quarter. My guess would be 8 million IP2 and 5 million iPv3.

Why guess? Hey... it's fun for some of us.

If you are correct, that's 13 M iPads in this quarter. Want to bet that the press will have a field day and go on and on about how Apple's iPad shipments dropped since the last quarter?

As crazy as it seems (virtually every consumer product's sales drop in the first calendar quarter), that's what happened least year.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    sdyatessdyates Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

I ordered mine Wednesday at 4:00 and mine still says preparing for shipment... not looking good for friday
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Customers who waited to order their new iPad from Apple's online store will now also wait two to three weeks for their order to ship.

Simply make those overpaid Foxcon workers do back-to-back 18 hour shifts. What's the problem with that?

They are MUCH better off doing that compared with starving in grass huts back home!
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Ordered one for me (black) and one for my wife (white) on first day. It took 90 minutes and about 500 clicks to get them ordered. Both have been given tracking numbers for delivery by Mar 16 before 3:00 pm from the distribution center in Middletown, PA. These are upgrades from the original iPads, all are ATT 64gb, even though there is no LTE in Eastern PA for at least the next six months.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Ordered one for me (black) and one for my wife (white) on first day. It took 90 minutes and about 500 clicks to get them ordered. Both have been given tracking numbers for delivery by Mar 16 before 3:00 pm from the distribution center in Middletown, PA. These are upgrades from the original iPads, all are ATT 64gb, even though there is no LTE in Eastern PA for at least the next six months.

Yeah, 500+ clicks, 30+ minutes on the phone and then waiting 30 minutes and called in and got one Can't wait though. Reminds me of the days when I eagerly waitied for Commodore Amiga tech coming out - but could never afford it...

So am I hearing this right - they are shipping yours from PA instead of China?