CBS chief argued, then rejected Apple TV subscription pitch from Steve Jobs

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 88
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post


    There are no "legitimate arguments for "stealing" content".



    It's First World instant gratification at play. Same thing that makes folks gripe about how they can't be guaranteed to walk in and get that latest toy when they want it because oh my gosh 10 million other people wanted to get it on launch day as well. They act like they should just go kill themselves because they will have to wait a couple of weeks, forgetting that there are folks who could live for a year off the money they are spending on that one thing.
  • Reply 62 of 88
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    I have to ask what new would Apple bring? I cut the cord a few months ago. Using my OTA (Over The Air) antenna I pull in every local broadcast including the major networks. Now I bought a Boxee Box and am able to get all CBS shows right from their website, with a few ads without issue. Why would CBS need to change this? The already have deals with Netflix and Amazon so it is obvious they are not sticking completely to an antiquated business model. The only thing I can assume is Apple wanted something different and they did not like it. Based on the DOJ investigation, it is likely Apple wanted 30% and that CBS could not sell its episodes cheaper anywhere else??? Regardless between my Boxee, OTA Netflix subscription and HULU Plus I get 95% what I need, I do not see a need for anything else, plus the Boxee plays any and all media formats and does airplay.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


    The only thing I can assume is Apple wanted something different and they did not like it.



    Which leads me to believe that what Apple wanted was right. Because the same thing has happened with music and cell phones.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Which leads me to believe that what Apple wanted was right. Because the same thing has happened with music and cell phones.



    I am referring to content. Netflix cut a deal and Amazon, so the studios and content owners are willing to deal, why not with Apple? Sure their are 300 million iOs devices and all of them can play Netflix and Hulu. My question still stands, what new could Apple bring to the table? I watch NCIS, why would I pay Apple when I can get it free, with a few ads from CBS's website on my Boxee?????
  • Reply 65 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    Guess what fuckwad, I'm not willing to wait 6 months for the damn DVD to come out, nor I imagine would anyone else.



    I can relate to this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

    ..because that's EXACTLY what happened to me when I wanted to watch Game of Thrones. It was LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to buy. Anywhere. Or watch. I live in Canada.



    The model is horribly outdated and archaic. There's nothing wrong with wanting things to improve. I like how you magically expect people to act in ways that are utterly unrealistic and inconvenient, where much simpler avenues are present, and instead of wanting the business model to change to acocomdate the consumer and motivate more people to pay, you can people like Steve Jobs a thief for attempting to do so, and pat the execs who are completely disconnected with the needs of most consumers on the back just cause they're doing such a bang-up job. I've never stolen an app, so fuck off with your implications.



    Imagine having to wait for a product? Thank god Apple does things differently.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StevesLegacy007 View Post


    I think it will have a opposite effect, allow more options and get CBS execs off their butts and find quality programming 24/7 There audience will grow



    I would glady forgo the urge to create 24/7 streaming content to maybe 2-3 hours a day of quality content. We've all seen what happens when you have a large number of streams-cable tv-and a need to program 24/7. Do we really need more Lady Hoggers or Lizard Lick Towing?
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post


    I would glady forgo the urge to create 24/7 streaming content to maybe 2-3 hours a day of quality content. We've all seen what happens when you have a large number of streams-cable tv-and a need to program 24/7. Do we really need more Lady Hoggers or Lizard Lick Towing?



    This is a lesson I just learned after cutting the cable. Once I sat down and really looked at what I want to watch, I spend far less hours in front of the tube as do my kids.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mswood View Post


    lLet me tell you want I did was absolutely illegal. But I also contribute far more to a shows revenue stream then a person who simply DVR's and skips commercials. And their actions are 100% legal, but utterly cheat a company of their ability to get ad rates.



    The network still gets paid whether you watch the ads or not. They have no way of knowing whether or not you skipped the ads. The only people losing out are the advertisers which is why they are increasingly turning their ad dollars online instead. I watch a lot of catch-up TV free on BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5, etc. Apart from the BBC they all have one thing in common - you cannot skip the ads. You could always go for a pee while they?re on I guess but you can't skip them. That's the future for streaming TV. Free TV in return for watching the ads.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post


    Until then, I will not (and do not) own a TV.



    I picture you applying for CEO at CBS- and they say, please list your qualifications. And you write "Don't own a TV".



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post


    I'd wait, in fact I do wait. When a miss a series on TV that I want to see I wait for the DVD. Or if I miss a film at the cinema I wait for it to be on pay per view. It's basically called obaying the law.



    People seem to think for some random reason they have a right to watch a program/film or listen to some music imediately. You didn't make it, it's not yours, you have absolutely no right to it in any way. Just because it's easy to steal it and you don't think your going to get cought, it doesn't make it right. You are essentially no different from someone shoplifting.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post


    But the attitude of people that pirate content is astounding. Sure, they might otherwise pay for it. But "I can't buy it" isn't an excuse to download content illegally; Particularly if the excuse is "I can't buy it yet."



    Exactly. How is this any different than Torrenting a movie that is currently out in Theaters because it, obviously, isn't out on DVD/iTunes yet. Why- just Torrent it. Its the movie studio's fault we can't watch it yet!



    I don't believe the problem is that these people are thieves, per se (which, of course, they are)- I believe it is much more in line that their whole mentality is that of immature, spoiled, entitlement. Thats our society- like it or not. Spoiled entitled brats (regardless of age) that "want it now!" and if they don't get what they want "now!" then they will resort to any way they can get it. Stealing just happens to be the easiest way.



    Being mean to people is easy. Being fat is easy. Since when does being "easier" mean being better? It is hard to be nice to jerks, and it is tough to live a healthy lifestyle with corporations and advertisements jamming cheap horrible food down our throats. Would I like an easier way to do everything? DUH! But I'm not going to sacrifice my morals or my soul (whether you believe that or not- thats on you) in the process....
  • Reply 70 of 88
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post


    I can tell you exactly what happened there. Did you happen to read this CBS CEO's quote above? It's all about ego. Even though this guy's ego was wayyy big, he knew Steve's was bigger - and rightfully so. Although he'd probably never admit it, he was intimidated by Steve's presence, charisma and success. He wasn't about to have Steve Jobs come into his industry and show everyone else how he should be doing his job. Even if it was an Earth-shattering idea that Jobs was presenting to him that made perfectly good sense, his ego just wouldn't allow it. I really believe that had a lot to do with it.



    You're probably right. I've noticed the ego's do tend to be bigger in the TV & Film industries.



    The real problem is that CBS is a broadcaster and a content provider. What we need is for the US/EU regulators to step in a seperate the two. That way Apple would be free to buy or licence the content from the film/tv makers themselves in competition with CBS. CBS and the other networks would not be able to act as a roadblock to new technology simply so they can maintain their antiqauted business models.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Rants like this are also very telling. You're probably a silly republican bible basher that thinks a woman's place is in the home and that Obama is ruining the country.



    Get off your high horse and STFU.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Many thieves try to justify their dishonesty. They always seem to have a "reason" why they think it is OK to steal other people's hard work.



    But honest people seem to forego lying, cheating and stealing for their own selfish benefit. They don't make flimsy excuses, they simply lead honest lives.



    It is pathetic that when thieves gets caught red handed, they turns to bullying and profanity. Very telling.



  • Reply 72 of 88
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mswood View Post


    Sorry if its a stupid question, but what is OTA?



    Over The Air - as in the TV you can pick up for free using your TV aerial.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Many thieves try to justify their dishonesty. They always seem to have a "reason" why they think it is OK to steal other people's hard work.



    But honest people seem to forego lying, cheating and stealing for their own selfish benefit. They don't make flimsy excuses, they simply lead honest lives.



    It is pathetic that when thieves gets caught red handed, they turns to bullying and profanity. Very telling.



    Can someone either ban this troll or add an ignore function to this site? There have been several sites that I used to visit that I stopped visiting because of this kind of a person. I would hate to stop coming here just so I can avoid this kind of immature behavior. Dude, this is an Apple fan site, not that people can't and shouldn't have legitimate complaints, but you are such an obvious troll, it just ruins it for everyone. Now, look what you did. You made me respond to you. Dang I hate it when I feed the trolls.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post


    Can someone either ban this troll or add an ignore function to this site?



    We have an ignore function already. You'll find it under your control panel.



    Quote:

    Dude, this is an Apple fan site, not that people can't and shouldn't have legitimate complaints, but you are such an obvious troll, it just ruins it for everyone. Now, look what you did. You made me respond to you. Dang I hate it when I feed the trolls.



    In the future, just report (the little exclamation mark in the bottom left of the post) all posts that you find break rules or exist for trolling alone.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    but this could be CBS's biggest mistake ever.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    We have an ignore function already. You'll find it under your control panel.







    In the future, just report (the little exclamation mark in the bottom left of the post) all posts that you find break rules or exist for trolling alone.



    Thank you sir, I appreciate the information!
  • Reply 77 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    Guess what fuckwad, I'm not willing to wait 6 months for the damn DVD to come out, nor I imagine would anyone else.



    I can relate to this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

    ..because that's EXACTLY what happened to me when I wanted to watch Game of Thrones. It was LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to buy. Anywhere. Or watch. I live in Canada.



    The model is horribly outdated and archaic. There's nothing wrong with wanting things to improve. I like how you magically expect people to act in ways that are utterly unrealistic and inconvenient, where much simpler avenues are present, and instead of wanting the business model to change to acocomdate the consumer and motivate more people to pay, you can people like Steve Jobs a thief for attempting to do so, and pat the execs who are completely disconnected with the needs of most consumers on the back just cause they're doing such a bang-up job. I've never stolen an app, so fuck off with your implications.



    LOL...Slurpy has some good points! I think Apple could make the experience much better for the consumer. Those old fuddy duddy execs are finally retiring. I think the new younger execs will make it happen!
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Les Moonves = Another nitwit who will forever regret his stupidity.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post


    You're probably right. I've noticed the ego's do tend to be bigger in the TV & Film industries.



    The real problem is that CBS is a broadcaster and a content provider. What we need is for the US/EU regulators to step in a seperate the two. That way Apple would be free to buy or licence the content from the film/tv makers themselves in competition with CBS. CBS and the other networks would not be able to act as a roadblock to new technology simply so they can maintain their antiqauted business models.



    The problem is they are not roadblocking new technology, they were dragging their feet in the past, we know this but CBS has deals with Netflix, Hulu, XFinity and Amazon VOD services, the just roadblocked Apple. As I stated before, what can Apple bring new to the table? Right now all these services will run on all iOS devices so why add another loop to the program? I am assuming here, a VERY BIG assumption but it is possible Apple tried to lay on the same demands it put on the eBook people. 30% take and no longer allowed to sell to anyone else cheaper (ie Free). Right now I get most of my CBS content free from the CBS website through Boxee Box. Why would I pay for the same thing through Apple?
  • Reply 80 of 88
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Many thieves try to justify their dishonesty. They always seem to have a "reason" why they think it is OK to steal other people's hard work.



    But honest people seem to forego lying, cheating and stealing for their own selfish benefit. They don't make flimsy excuses, they simply lead honest lives.



    It is pathetic that when thieves gets caught red handed, they turns to bullying and profanity. Very telling.



    Not even sure if I'm supposed to take you seriously, since every single one of your posts that I've ever read are predictable in their level of irritation and absurdity. I freely volunteered information that I torrent TV shows that are otherwise IMPOSSIBLE for me to watch. So you 'caught me red handed'? Do you even know what that expression means? Bullying? You defined me as a 'thief', so fuck off with your charade of victimization. Your propensity to be an asshole is incredibly consistent. Have you ever used a DVR? If so, then you're also a thief. So is ever single person who has used a DVR that skips commercials. Because guess what? They're not getting revenue from the ads you're supposed to be watching. Same damn thing as watching it online.



    'Stealing' implies someone lost money in a transaction, or an opportunity to pay someone was circumvented. As I explain to you, I had absolutely no means to watch the show. If I didn't torrent it, I simply would not have watched it- do you undertand that concept? They would not have gotten any money either way. I can't even access any of the officially streaming websites of the networks, they're blocked in Canada. So your solution is 'deal with it, and accept the fact that you can't watch 95% of the shows you want to watch'. Sorry, that isn't a reasonable option for me. If they don't give me an opportunity to pay, I will watch by other means. They've passed over their chance to get money from me, and thats not my fault. And sorry, I don't have the patience to wait 6+ months so I can buy the DVDs of a show I'm interested in watching. Not only do I have no interest in overpriced DVDs, because I watch every episode exactly ONCE and don't need physical copies, expecting someone to wait that long for someone as benign as a TV show is not reasonable. So take your judgemental bullshit and your self-righteous claim to honesty and shove it up your ass. Something tells me your character isn't something to be proud of, as this tends to be the case with ultra judgemental people and chronic trolls like you.



    Go back to your jabbing of dead cancer victims, it seems that's your forte in life. Watching a show online is not nearly as despicable as the things you say on this board.
Sign In or Register to comment.