Class action lawsuit claims Siri doesn't work as advertised

Comments

• Reply 21 of 157
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Though I think this guy is moron, does it say anywhere in the commercial Beta? I can not see it at work? Regardless, these lawsuits are getting insane.

I have mixed feelings about this. I hate these lawsuits so much, but....

Is it fair to release a product and use it as THE MAIN selling feature and have a disclaimer of BETA? I am often laughing at how badly SIRI misinterprets my "wishes". I also am sick of not having the full feature set because I live just north of the border. But, I don't know if a lawsuit is warranted.
  • Reply 22 of 157
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I would hope that all Apple has to do to get this tossed out is demonstrate that each of queries they pose to Siri in the various commercials gives a reasonable response. If they can't do that--that is, if they just made up scenarios that don't work--then they should be held accountable. Having said that, I'm certain they can demonstrate that or else it would have been front-page news the day after the commercial first aired.

As to whether someone inferred that because it could send a text message based on "tell betty and veronica to come to the garage at 8:00" that it should be able to do any other wacky thing the user dreams up, that's not Apple's fault.
  • Reply 23 of 157
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

BETA means BETA!

Beta normally means you don't advertise it as a primary selling point as well.

While I hate the fact that these things always end up with someone brining the lawyers in, he does have a point that the adverts are somewhat misleading.

I would guess that Siri understands what I've said maybe 50% of the time. For me it has proven absolutely unusable.

The difference between me and the plaintiff in this case is that I've put it down to me having an accent that I know is difficult for some people to understand, and have written it off as "one of those things".
  • Reply 24 of 157
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    oh to be in jolly england.

loser pays. loser pays. loser pays.

that should cut off a few dumb heads. especially lawyers!
  • Reply 25 of 157
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

As to whether someone inferred that because it could send a text message based on "tell betty and veronica to come to the garage at 8:00" that it should be able to do any other wacky thing the user dreams up, that's not Apple's fault.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/27/someon...al-nsfw-video/
  • Reply 26 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

SIRI is obviously not always going to understand some foreigner speaking with a laughable crappy accent,

Do you actually realise you wrote that comment? Were you drunk or are you just a bigot?

Apple sells products internationally, correct?
  • Reply 27 of 157
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The number of times my Garmin has told me to turn off an interstate in the absolute middle of nowhere when programed to go from Florida to New Hampshire makes me realize I may have missed an opportunity.
  • Reply 28 of 157
    That's it, I'm moving to America to make my fortune.

I'll start with a suit against jeep because I got bogged down once.

Then I'm hitting North Face cos when I walked the dogs the other day my body warmer left me felling a little chilled.

Microsoft is getting it big time for every crash I ever had.

Apple can have it for my home movies being crap, iMovie ads show beautiful people doing interesting things.

• Reply 29 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Do you actually realise you wrote that comment? Were you drunk or are you just a bigot?

Some Brits may think he has a crappy way of speaking English

Remember your friend is the ignore list.
  • Reply 30 of 157
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Being from east Tennessee and having a pronounced southern appalachian accent, even I have about a 90% success rate with SIRI. I can guarantee that Apple didn't put a 'hillbilly' dialect in there, but it works very well for me. I have also found that more I use it, the more it is able to comprehend my strange vowel sounds.
  • Reply 30 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Since you're asking me if I'm drunk or a bigot, I will have to ask you if you're ignorant?

SIRI in foreign countries is tailored to understand the speech of those countries. That's why there's a SIRI for UK and a SIRI for Australia and a SIRI for US.

The guy suing Apple is using the US version of SIRI, since he's in the US. And if he does not speak proper American English, then that is his problem.
  • Reply 32 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

That's it, I'm moving to America to make my fortune.

I'll start with a suit against jeep because I got bogged down once.

Then I'm hitting North Face cos when I walked the dogs the other day my body warmer left me felling a little chilled.

Microsoft is getting it big time for every crash I ever had.

Apple can have it for my home movies being crap, iMovie ads show beautiful people doing interesting things.

I love the last one .. I can just see it now ... "Your honor, my movies never come out looking like I am in Hawaii"
  • Reply 33 of 157
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    If I find a product doesn't work as advertised I will try to contact the seller (Apple) and see if they can correct the problem by either showing me what I am doing wrong or ask for a refund. The last thing I would do is start a law suit, but then I'm not so stupid.
  • Reply 34 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Some Brits may think he has a crappy way of speaking English

Remember your friend is the ignore list.

Brits use a different version of SIRI, you genius.
  • Reply 35 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Being from east Tennessee and having a pronounced southern appalachian accent, even I have about a 90% success rate with SIRI. I can guarantee that Apple didn't put a 'hillbilly' dialect in there, but it works very well for me. I have also found that more I use it, the more it is able to comprehend my strange vowel sounds.

Oh, you said 'vowel sounds' I didn't have my glasses on and was worried for a minute ...

Seriously though I agree it works very well. My wife's iPhone's Siri understands me, English, plus my wife, Bostonian equally as well. That's quite a range!

BTW love the handle ...
  • Reply 36 of 157
    Wow that's my last name I really hope I'm not related to this guy. People must not be aware what the term Beta means. Wait.... I know Siri understands multiple languages but I'm pretty sure douchebagian isn't one of them anyway right? Or is that in 5.1 too?
  • Reply 37 of 157
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

There are trolls beyond Apple-centric sites.

In case trolling for dollars......
    "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

~Wm. Shakespeare

This is a commonly misinterpreted statement. Shakespeare wasn't condemning lawyers. Rather, the speaker was planning to overthrow the government and suggested that the first step would be to kill the lawyers. That is, the lawyers were a key part of making society work properly.

I think the guy who's suing is just unhappy that Siri won't call HIM 'Rock God'.
  • Reply 38 of 157
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    He's probably upset that Siri started calling him "D*ck Wad" instead of "Rock God".
  • Reply 39 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Since you're asking me if I'm drunk or a bigot, I will have to ask you if you're ignorant?

I asked because I can see no other reason why someone would make such a ridiculous comment.
  • Reply 40 of 157
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    must be an idiot to think a gimmick would be useful