Class action lawsuit claims Siri doesn't work as advertised

Comments

• Reply 61 of 157
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah. This is the USA. And here we speak American English. If somebody can't, then that's their problem.

But even with American English, there are dozens of accents, regional dialects, rhotic v. non-rhotic speech, vowel shifts, and drawls, It's not as simple as saying 'American English' and it being one homogenous set of pronunciations for all words. Although I'm using southern appalachian, that is just as valid a form of 'American English' as is Bostonian, Chicagoan, Texan, or southern Californian, however it is VERY different in sound to any of those.
  • Reply 62 of 157
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    In my experience SIRI works surprisingly well. I dictate about 90% of my texts now with very few errors. I also use it for web searches, reminders, and a whole host of other uses that used to require keyboard input. Is it perfect? No, but it is still in beta.

One way to really improve SIRI would be to include some training lessons like speech recognition software on computers offers to help understand each person better. This is usually a series of long transcripts that you read into the mic. I doubt Apple will ever implement that since they want to make it as easy to use as possible for everyone. The downside is you will never have anywhere near the level of accuracy that computer software offers unless you go through these voice training modules.

I am getting a little tired of SIRI's voice though. I wish there were a choice in voices and that may come in a future update.
  • Reply 63 of 157
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    This is going to get thrown out of court so fast. False advertising is when you show a product doing something that it literally does not do. Like showing a Barbie doll dancing around by itself.

Are you going to sue a car company because you tried to drive down the Pacific Coast Highway like they did in the commercial and made it look so easy... but since you're not a very good driver you crashed the car?
  • Reply 64 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

But even with American English, there are dozens of accents, regional dialects, rhotic v. non-rhotic speech, vowel shifts, and drawls, It's not as simple as saying 'American English' and it being one homogenous set of pronunciations for all words. Although I'm using southern appalachian, that is just as valid a form of 'American English' as is Bostonian, Chicagoan, Texan, or southern Californian, however it is VERY different in sound to them.

I have a feeling his definition of "American" is quite limited...
  • Reply 65 of 157
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Although I'm using southern appalachian, that is just as valid a form of 'American English' as is Bostonian, Chicagoan, Texan, or southern Californian, however it is VERY different in sound to any of those.

Southern California? You're trippin' That's epic dude! I'm totally stoked that you think we have an accent.
  • Reply 66 of 157
    rsbellrsbell Posts: 11member
    I hope his online ratings don't suffer...

http://www.healthgrades.com/physicia...nk-fazio-24pvb
  • Reply 67 of 157
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Siri should countersue for libel.
  • Reply 68 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

But even with American English, there are dozens of accents, regional dialects, rhotic v. non-rhotic speech, vowel shifts, and drawls, It's not as simple as saying 'American English' and it being one homogenous set of pronunciations for all words. Although I'm using southern appalachian, that is just as valid a form of 'American English' as is Bostonian, Chicagoan, Texan, or southern Californian, however it is VERY different in sound to any of those.

Yes, I of course agree with that. I can only assume that Apple tried to find a middle ground.
  • Reply 69 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

But how does the average consumer know it is beta? That is the rub on this. An does beta really excuse a company? If that was the case, companies would slap beta on everything.

Labelling as beta or not should not really matter. All it does is let informed consumers know that the supplier doesn't consider it final yet and expects it to improve.

How many products in general are released that although appear finished could be labelled beta since they don't work as well as advertised in most cases.

Just look at all those "cool" products advertised on late night TV that can't be bought in stores.

Should all these products also be open to lawsuits because they don't work as well as on TV or because they have fine print on how they are to be used which doesn't match what the commercials advertise?

Here is a novel idea, the customer can return the product and ultimately vote with their wallet.
  • Reply 70 of 157
    Psssst...

When this suit doesn't work, why not sue at&t - their "service" doesn't work, and it IS a PHONE and it's not Beta.

Plus, you already have a lawyer!
  • Reply 71 of 157
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That or call on her Cylon friends to go visit these people one dark night ....
  • Reply 72 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I have a feeling his definition of "American" is quite limited...

Technically speaking, a person who holds an American citizenship is American. Those who do not, are not.
  • Reply 73 of 157
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm suing for attitude. Siri keeps giving me lip. She is supposed to be helpful, instead she's a sassy smartass. Besides, she's too hard and cold to cuddle. Damn you Apple! At first I wanted to marry Siri, now I'm just sad and lonely.
  • Reply 74 of 157
    Quote:

Yeah. This is the USA. And here we speak American English. If somebody can't, then that's their problem.

If somebody is in an accident and they lose 2 fingers on each hand, and then they go out and buy an iPad, should they sue Apple because they can't make a five finger gesture?

As someone said earlier, "You, sir, are an idiot!" You should be ashamed of yourself!
  • Reply 75 of 157
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Weird thing is I am English and the American Siri understands me really well. Just a thought, can you select to use the American one in the UK to try?

That's the same for me. For some reason, English Siri is completely useless, whereas American Siri is merely useless!

I'd say American Siri understands my English accent about 50% of the time, with English Siri way less than that.

With that said, I didn't really test English Siri that much. I switched it over to see it did better than American Siri, tried for about 10 minutes and switched back.
  • Reply 76 of 157
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

I don't have an iPhone 4S, so I haven't tried SIRI, but I do know one thing. I've seen some videos of people using SIRI, and some people have speech defects. SIRI is obviously not always going to understand some foreigner speaking with a laughable crappy accent, and other people who have never learned to speak properly. That is those people's problem. Go make an appointment with a speech therapist or something.

I'll be testing out the dictation feature on the iPAD this friday, and I expect it to work pretty good, since I don't speak like a retard.

Wow.

As Bob Uecker might say, "JUST a bit outside!"

Here's a suggestion. Print out all of your comments in this thread, then lock them up in a safe deposit box for about ten years. When you open it up ten years later and read them, you should be thoroughly embarrassed that you ever had such self absorbed and ignorant thoughts.

If you don't, then by all means run for political office.
  • Reply 77 of 157
    First world problems.
  • Reply 78 of 157
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hell, at least half of everything with a Google logo attached to it has been in Beta for years and they still market them as main features. It's what tech companies do these days and the user needs to know that.

I actually don't like the idea that customers need to know that.

In very simple terms, beta means, "not finished". I don't like that companies want to push unfinished products for their consumers to do their testing for them.

I could accept it from time to time, but it seems to just be the done thing now, and I don't really agree with it.
  • Reply 79 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Wow.

As Bob Uecker might say, "JUST a bit outside!"

Here's a suggestion. Print out all of your comments in this thread, then lock them up in a safe deposit box for about ten years. When you open it up ten years later and read them, you should be thoroughly embarrassed that you ever had such self absorbed and ignorant thoughts.

If you don't, then by all means run for political office.

• Reply 80 of 157
    I'm going to sue, because Siri doesn't sound like Tricia Helfer and answer to EDI.

(Yes, I am a Mass Effect fangirl)