Epic Games thinks Apple could take on game consoles with iPad, Apple TV & controller

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Capps boasted at last week's event that the new iPad has a greater screen resolution than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, thanks to Apple's new high-resolution Retina display.

It's more of a limitation with the output options though than the console. An iPad will also output to a TV at 1080p maximum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Capps said the unveiling of the new iPad last week shows that Apple cares about the game market that has flourished on iOS devices thanks to the App Store. He said Apple is interested in bringing "triple-A," high-quality games to its mobile devices.

I think bringing triple-A titles over is the number 1 priority. The hardware isn't all that important as the Wii demonstrated and the iPad exceeds the Wii in performance. They need immersive and popular titles.

Full versions of Bioshock, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider, Burnout, Half-Life, Portal, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Batman etc. No watering down, no censorship.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Absolutely! There's a whole untapped demographic in gaming with the highest income earners. The Boomers and their parents got their feet wet with the wii, but when the older generation becomes "hardcore gamers" relatively speaking, Apple will supply their gear.

Its the other way around, "hardcore gamers" are becoming the older generation. I was playing Resident Evil on the PlayStation in my 20s, for any serious gaming a controller is a must.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    If you're waiting for the Apple TV or a new iPad to turn the gaming world on its head, don't hold your breath. It ain't going to happen, at least not that way. I agree that Apple is setting the stage to compete against gaming consoles like the xBox or PlayStation. But IMO they are planning to do that with an Apple HDTV set. The size and beauty of the screen will be compelling and it will be large enough for all these Apple technologies (hobbies betas etc) they have been toying with to converge and placed into the set without worrying about heat, batteries, or profit margins. It's like the movie "The Godfather" when Michael settles family business with all the competing families in one big bang! The markets will not know what hit them.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I suppose that , by the minute they would switch to iOS, they would no longer be "serious", uh ?

"serious gamer" is an oxymoron to me, but probably because I am not gamer myself ....

Would you not consider a pro athlete serious? They play games for a living.

There are men with lives, wives, kids, homes, jobs, etc.... that are hardcore gamers.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think bringing triple-A titles over is the number 1 priority. The hardware isn't all that important as the Wii demonstrated and the iPad exceeds the Wii in performance. They need immersive and popular titles.

Full versions of Bioshock, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider, Burnout, Half-Life, Portal, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Batman etc. No watering down, no censorship.

Price is going to be the biggest concern, Apple simply cant compete against a standard gaming console as it stands right now even if they added a hardware controller. The price is more than just the hardware itself (600+ minimum since iPad/Apple TV are 100% mandatory, then tack on a hardware controller).

Compatibility would be the next hurdle, since launch 05-06 360/Wii/PS3 all can still play any game released today, the same cannot be said of launch or 2nd gen iOS devices. While that might not seem a problem to us, for a developer to create a top tier console game like those you listed above its going to take considerable time. Many of those games you listed took 2+ years in development time before they even hit consumer hands, well beyond the shelf life of every iOS device sans the 3GS.

The third massive blow is the size of those games. Console quality games eat well into a Blu-Ray or Dual Layer DVD, with games like Mass Effect/Battlefield 3 (and numerous others) eating 2 full DL DVDs or an entire Blu-Ray. iOS apps iirc are limited to a max of 2 GB, so i'm sure you can see the problem there. Its why even to this day, games look really good on iOS but lack any sort of substance *cough* Infinity Blade & Real Racing *cough*. The space isnt there like there is for gaming consoles.

While the new iPad is certainly capable of console level graphics from 2006 device, there are too many severely crippling factors for Apple to simply jump into console gaming, otherwise they'd already be in it.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People have been saying this for a long time now. Apple really needs to come out with their own controller.

Certain games are great with touch, but there are other types of games where a controller is the best choice.

I disagree with Apple building a controller. I think Apple should include gaming APIs that will allow for simple lines of code to switch between a touch-based controller to any number of 3rd-party wireless and attached controllers simply be connecting it to the Bluetooth or 30-pin connector port.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People have been saying this for a long time now. Apple really needs to come out with their own controller.

Certain games are great with touch, but there are other types of games where a controller is the best choice.

Yep a controller but why not native games made for the Apple TV so you don't need to use an iPad and airplay. the controller could be an Apple TV accessory.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Yep a controller but why not native games made for the Apple TV so you don't need to use an iPad and airplay. the controller could be an Apple TV accessory.

Before the Airplay for iOS 5 was introduced I thought an AppleTV SDK and App Store would be great.. but you still have the problem of the chunky and slow TV interface, and the cheap IR remote control, app-based remote control in an iDevice, or an expensive remote control to navigate. Now I think that using AirPlay to mirror or stream content to the AppleTV is the best solution in versatility and speed.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Price is going to be the biggest concern, Apple simply cant compete against a standard gaming console as it stands right now even if they added a hardware controller. The price is more than just the hardware itself (600+ minimum since iPad/Apple TV are 100% mandatory, then tack on a hardware controller).

Price isn't much of an issue.

First, many PC gamers spend thousands on their systems. Second, there are already millions if iPads in circulation. And if a person is considering an iPad, anyway, then using it as a gaming device is free and saves them spending several hundred dollars on a console. So, under some scenarios, it's the cheapest way to go.

Quote:

Compatibility would be the next hurdle, since launch 05-06 360/Wii/PS3 all can still play any game released today, the same cannot be said of launch or 2nd gen iOS devices. While that might not seem a problem to us, for a developer to create a top tier console game like those you listed above its going to take considerable time. Many of those games you listed took 2+ years in development time before they even hit consumer hands, well beyond the shelf life of every iOS device sans the 3GS.

There are already tens of thousands of games for the iPad and many good ones.

Quote:

The third massive blow is the size of those games. Console quality games eat well into a Blu-Ray or Dual Layer DVD, with games like Mass Effect/Battlefield 3 (and numerous others) eating 2 full DL DVDs or an entire Blu-Ray. iOS apps iirc are limited to a max of 2 GB, so i'm sure you can see the problem there. Its why even to this day, games look really good on iOS but lack any sort of substance *cough* Infinity Blade & Real Racing *cough*. The space isnt there like there is for gaming consoles.

While the new iPad is certainly capable of console level graphics from 2006 device, there are too many severely crippling factors for Apple to simply jump into console gaming, otherwise they'd already be in it.

You're stuck in one viewpoint. By your standards, Nintendo shouldn't have sold any Wii devices since the graphics are below the competition.

Be careful not to restrict the world you your own narrow perspective. There's no rule that says a game must have a few billion pixels to be fun.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I disagree with Apple building a controller. I think Apple should include gaming APIs that will allow for simple lines of code to switch between a touch-based controller to any number of 3rd-party wireless and attached controllers simply be connecting it to the Bluetooth or 30-pin connector port.

You'll be leaving that aspect of user experience to another company. MS went through many designs before they chose a design. A lousy controller will render a great game unplayable.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You'll be leaving that aspect of user experience to another company. MS went through many designs before they chose a design. A lousy controller will render a great game unplayable.

Apple licenses their iPod Dock Connector to other companies. A lot of the accessories re crap but a lot of them are good, too.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I've said countless times that a 7" iPod/iPad would be a natural portable gaming device and would almost certainly hit Sony and Nintendo hard. It would also serve as the perfect size for an Apple TV controller. Play a game alone on your 7" device - when your friends come round simply air play it onto your Apple TV to play it multi-player on the big screen. Your friends could join in via their iPod or iPhone.

The gaming market is massive now and it would mean mega hardware sales for Apple. I think a 7" gaming (and eBook) device would outsell the iPad within a year.

Why would this make sense? Apple has hit a brick wall with the Film/TV companies over content, but the gaming companies are more forward thinking and much more willing to play ball. The more "eyeballs" they start losing, the more their ad revenues go down and the more desperate the Film/TV companies will be to come on board.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

Apple licenses their iPod Dock Connector to other companies. A lot of the accessories re crap but a lot of them are good, too.

Question is can the dock connector support up to four controllers? Many serious gamers prefer being hardwired into the console/PC. They actually believe the minuscule amount of lag of a wireless controller vs a hardwired one makes a difference in their game play.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think that the rumored 7.85 inch iOS device is a revanchist of he iPod touch. And this idea is one of the reasons

Yup!

Sony, Microsoft and Nintindo: May you live in interesting times!
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

Question is can the dock connector support up to four controllers? Many serious gamers prefer being hardwired into the console/PC. They actually believe the minuscule amount of lag of a wireless controller vs a hardwired one makes a difference in their game play.

There is the FW wires not being utilized but I think that the USB supplies more supply than enough data for the inputs of four controllers. To be honest, I wasn't thinking about this type of usage, I was thinking more along the lines of an iPod Touch that could have a D-pad+ruble pack+ battery extender that encases it and then could be removed so you could still play the same game using on-screen controls.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

There is the FW wires not being utilized but I think that the USB supplies more supply than enough data for the inputs of four controllers. To be honest, I wasn't thinking about this type of usage, I was thinking more along the lines of an iPod Touch that could have a D-pad+ruble pack+ battery extender that encases it and then could be removed so you could still play the same game using on-screen controls.

That would make sense but the cost of iPods will be a impedance.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Controller input is trivial compared to what the 30 pin connector can handle. Heck, that connector can easily handle HDMI, so a few controllers wouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

That would make sense but the cost of iPods will be a impedance.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. If you think I am referring to getting some accessory that would then require up to 4 iPod Touches added to them just to be plugged into an iPad... that is not what I was stating. I was looking at the need for a D-pad controller for an individual for play on their own Touch or iPhone. A handheld gaming device that can used with or without any number of 3rd-party controllers with any game because the iOS Gaming APIs allow for a universal and seamless switch between physical and virtual buttons.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Your going to seriously argue about value? Consoles tied to a TV vs an iPad that can not only take the place of the console - but also do a whole lot more WHILE NOT HAVING TO BE TETHERED TO A TV?!?

Comfy in your box?

Quote:

Compatibility would be the next hurdle, since launch 05-06 360/Wii/PS3 all can still play any game released today, the same cannot be said of launch or 2nd gen iOS devices.

At $20 instead of sixty, not having to be tied to a DVD (or TV) is worth it. Speaking of, doesn't Sony and Nintendo charge you separately for mobile and console versions? Still sure you want to go down the value path?

Then again at least Sony and Nintendo have mobile gaming strategies...

Yup, the console gaming market is perfect! There's obviously no value Apple can bring here

Quote:

Many of those games you listed took 2+ years in development time before they even hit consumer hands, well beyond the shelf life of every iOS device sans the 3GS.

If that timeline is for content, not sure how that's a negative since its going to be constant for any platform. If your citing it as development time, like for the game engine, perhaps you missed the past three years of experience companies like EA have been and still are racking up combined with the dramatically better hardware.

I don't think the guy actually making money is as concerned as you are \

Quote:

The third massive blow is the size of those games.

Your first half way legitimate concern. Except MS is rumored to be planning a disk-less successor to the 360.

And there's no way Apple or developers could use something like streaming to spread out downloads over time, or use some other strategy.

Quote:

iOS apps iirc are limited to a max of 2 GB, so i'm sure you can see the problem there.

Yup, because Apple is known for releasing products and NEVER updating the way they work. Cast in stone they are.

Quote:

Yup - its a lost cause. There is nothing Apple can do to overcome these issues! Whew! Sony, MS and Nintendo must be breathing easier now! Congratulations! There not doing it now, therefore they will never persue it!

Brilliant - absolutely brilliant....
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

A Bluetooth controller is a must. Those console people won't settle for less.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/ecea/

Hopefully the first of many...

Quote:

Somehow, I always thought it would be the AppleTV that would evolve into a stand-alone gaming console using some advanced ARM processor, but I guess I was wrong.

It makes sense - put the expensive parts in the part of the device that goes with you. Instead of being tethered to a TV.

Talk about a radical approach, as well as killing two birds with one stone!