Production of Apple television expected to begin in May/June for late 2012 launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Overseas suppliers have begun to ship parts for Apple's anticipated television set as the company gears up to begin production as soon as May, according to a new report.

Analyst Peter Misek with Jefferies said in a note to investors on Tuesday that "specialty components" have already begun to ship to Apple's panel suppliers in Asia. Components being shipped are said to include polarized films, filters, and IGZO components, though they are currently being supplied in "small quantities."

As the components for an Apple television start to trickle in, Misek believes commercial production of the rumored device will begin in May or June, with between 2 million and 5 million units built initially. He expects the full-fledged television set to launch in the fourth quarter of calendar 2012.

The information comes from a trip to Asia that Misek recently took, which he said made him "more bullish" on AAPL stock. On his trip, Misek said he was shown "early production evidence of iTV," which led him to believe that full-scale production is now only months away.

Tuesday's note also declares that concerns over availability of the Retina display found in Apple's new iPad are "overblown." He sees Apple building between 12 million and 15 million iPads in the first quarter of calendar 2012, with production growing to as high as 20 million next quarter.

Misek has raised his calendar 2012 iPhone estimates to 155 million, from 145 million, as he believes Apple will launch a sixth-generation iPhone in the third quarter of calendar 2012.

"We believe initial iPhone 5 build expectations are approaching 50 (million)," Misek wrote. "Our expectations for the 5 include a 4" to 4.3" screen, wider form factor, A6 processor, and refreshed design. We believe iPhone 4S sales are particularly strong and have shown lower than normal seasonality."

On the strength of the iPhone, the new iPad and an anticipated Apple television, Jefferies has raised its price target for AAPL stock to $699, up $100 from the previous projection of $599.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Mhmm. And we're definitely going to see the iPhone nano before Christmas, too.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    What, is this Wal-Mart? Just call it $700

The response to the "new" iPad has been off the charts. I can't imagine the frenzy the upcoming iPhone is going to create. I think we will be looking at 50 million phones for the holiday quarter
  • Reply 3 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    small quantities means its more likely they are prototyping. These parts could be anything including the next new iPad. it doesn't equal a TV set. Even if it is something that size it could just be a dummy display to revamp the cinema display line.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mhmm. And we're definitely going to see the iPhone nano before Christmas, too.

No.

But AppleTV in 2013? Virtually certain.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    It will look a bit out of place for someone to back their pickup truck to an Apple store to load their 50" Apple TV.

What seems as an obvious evolution to create such a product, just feels so disconnected to me.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Or see it when I believe it.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

It will look a bit out of place for someone to back their pickup truck to an Apple store to load their 50" Apple TV.

What seems as an obvious evolution to create such a product, just feels so disconnected to me.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Or see it when I believe it.

Can you imagine the scene?

Hundreds of F150's and Silverado's lined up overnight in anticipation of being the first to get their Apple TV.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No.

Virtually uncertain.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Completely uncertain?
  • Reply 9 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    My Samsung flat screen TV caught me reading this article and now it's all nervous.

And so it should be.

So it should be.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    I don't take rumors seriously from anyone who's still calling the NEXT iPhone the iPhone 5. The release of the new iPad is a sign for naming to come for the iPhone as well. The iPhone 5 came and went with the iPhone 4S. Get over it. The next iPhone will be the 6th generation... The next iPhone will be called... iPhone... period.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:

Our expectations for the 5 include a 4" to 4.3" screen, wider form factor, A6 processor, and refreshed design.

YOU COMPLETE IDIOTS.

Yeah, it'll be called the "iPhone 5", just like the 3rd iPad was called the "iPad 3".

Yeah, it'll have an A6 processor, just like the 3rd iPad had an A6 processor.

Can you believe these clowns?
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Overseas suppliers have begun to ship parts for Apple's anticipated television set as the company gears up to begin production as soon as May, according to a new report. ...

This makes no sense at all given the recent AppleTV update unless they are going to make the current AppleTV hot-pluggable into the new TV (unlikely at best).

The only sensible way to read this year's AppleTV update is as a sort of stop-gap product until the new TV is ready for production. It's the most "not really necessary" product update in a long while and really only appeals to new buyers.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

I don't take rumors seriously from anyone who's still calling the NEXT iPhone the iPhone 5. The release of the new iPad is a sign for naming to come for the iPhone as well. The iPhone 5 came and went with the iPhone 4S. Get over it. The next iPhone will be the 6th generation... The next iPhone will be called... iPhone... period.

It may be a trend they'll expand to the iphone but keep in mind that the ipod lineup has always been numberless... so, it's no guarantee that the iphone, after sooo many generations of numeric names would drop it's name now.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotTooShabby View Post

so, it's no guarantee that the iphone, after sooo many generations of numeric names would drop it's name now.

And having "1, 2, new" is any less awkward a lineup leading up to the change?
  • Reply 15 of 73
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

And having "1, 2, new" is any less awkward a lineup leading up to the change?

Was the first iPad ever called the iPad1?
  • Reply 16 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

My Samsung flat screen TV caught me reading this article and now it's all nervous.

And so it should be.

So it should be.

Why? you already bought it
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Was the first iPad ever called the iPad1?

The only "first in a line" device that I've ever seen refer to itself as such is the EV-1.

I'm confused why people think that my point doesn't stand, though. Any product that is the first product in a line of numbered products is the first product by number.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

YOU COMPLETE IDIOTS.

Yeah, it'll be called the "iPhone 5", just like the 3rd iPad was called the "iPad 3".

Yeah, it'll have an A6 processor, just like the 3rd iPad had an A6 processor.

Can you believe these clowns?

I couldn't care less about the name.

On the processor, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone does, indeed, have an A6 processor.

Apple appears to have chosen the 'A5X' name because the CPU is unchanged while there's more RAM and more GPU cores. If they change the CPU itself, they will probably change the numeric designator.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

small quantities means its more likely they are prototyping. These parts could be anything including the next new iPad. it doesn't equal a TV set. Even if it is something that size it could just be a dummy display to revamp the cinema display line.

Or performing production test runs. Testing the production process rather than the product itself.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotTooShabby View Post

It may be a trend they'll expand to the iphone but keep in mind that the ipod lineup has always been numberless... so, it's no guarantee that the iphone, after sooo many generations of numeric names would drop it's name now.

But Apple also didn't keep old iPods (or Macs) as new products after the new ones dropped. The iPhone (and now the iPad) are the only ones that have done that.

I do hope they drop the numbers. I think people understand the year-old device is cheaper concept.

That said, I think you may have missed his point about calling the 6th generation iPhone the iPhone 5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple appears to have chosen the 'A5X' name because the CPU is unchanged while there's more RAM and more GPU cores. If they change the CPU itself, they will probably change the numeric designator.

2X on RAM and GPU seems the most likely reason to call it A5X to me.