How to play home movies on tv via Iphone and NAS Drive???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a problem playing transferred home movies on a flat screen tv through the ?TV Out? feature of my Iphone 4.

Brief History:

I have captured about a TB worth of various home movie videos from VHS tape to my PC hard drive in AVI format using AVS Video Recorder. I used AVS Video Converter to convert the AVI movie files to M4V files, to play these movies on my IPhone. I then copied these M4V video files to a Western Digital ?My Book Live? NAS Drive which allows me to view any video using my Iphone, via a WD app, without using Iphone internal memory. This works so far.

The problem is that I thought I could show these videos to family members through their big screen TV at their house, and by hooking my Iphone to their tv?s audio/video inputs, via cables, using TV Out and access the videos from my NAS Drive as I could when using the Iphone alone. However, the home movies do not play on the TV! After a conversation with Apple Techs I was told that using the Iphone?s ?TV Out? feature to view video onto a TV, via the Iphone , only works for video that is stored on the internal memory of the Iphone itself, not for accessing 3rd party drives as my NAS.

I was told that there are ways around this like:

1-\tSyncing certain videos to the Iphone (to save storage space) and viewing them on TV via ?TV OUT?

2-\tGetting an IPad (bigger screen then Iphone) and accessing the videos through the Apple Cloud

3-\tUsing Apple TV and accessing movies via the cloud (which means I would have to bring and hook-up Apple TV to the receiving TV). Not sure about this method.

4-\tSomething about Airplay and mirrioring???

So my question is: Is there any way to access my NAS drive (which has all videos stored) and play those videos on another household?s TV, for many people to comfortably view at once, via my Iphone? Or, is there another method?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I?m driving myself nuts over this.

Sincerely,

Don S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    derooderoo Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anotherhappyday1 View Post

I have a problem playing transferred home movies on a flat screen tv through the ?TV Out? feature of my Iphone 4.

Brief History:

I have captured about a TB worth of various home movie videos from VHS tape to my PC hard drive in AVI format using AVS Video Recorder. I used AVS Video Converter to convert the AVI movie files to M4V files, to play these movies on my IPhone. I then copied these M4V video files to a Western Digital ?My Book Live? NAS Drive which allows me to view any video using my Iphone, via a WD app, without using Iphone internal memory. This works so far.

The problem is that I thought I could show these videos to family members through their big screen TV at their house, and by hooking my Iphone to their tv?s audio/video inputs, via cables, using TV Out and access the videos from my NAS Drive as I could when using the Iphone alone. However, the home movies do not play on the TV! After a conversation with Apple Techs I was told that using the Iphone?s ?TV Out? feature to view video onto a TV, via the Iphone , only works for video that is stored on the internal memory of the Iphone itself, not for accessing 3rd party drives as my NAS.

I was told that there are ways around this like:

1-\tSyncing certain videos to the Iphone (to save storage space) and viewing them on TV via ?TV OUT?

2-\tGetting an IPad (bigger screen then Iphone) and accessing the videos through the Apple Cloud

3-\tUsing Apple TV and accessing movies via the cloud (which means I would have to bring and hook-up Apple TV to the receiving TV). Not sure about this method.

4-\tSomething about Airplay and mirrioring???

So my question is: Is there any way to access my NAS drive (which has all videos stored) and play those videos on another household?s TV, for many people to comfortably view at once, via my Iphone? Or, is there another method?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I?m driving myself nuts over this.

Sincerely,

Don S.

Hmmm, I think realistically you have two choices here.

1. Do as Apple techies said and basically store the videos on your phone so the Tv out will work properly

2. (this involves spending money) using and iPad and Apple TV you can use the mirroring feature to mirror anything on the iPad on the ATV.

Probably no what you wanted to hear. If the WD iPhone app had an Apple TV output that would save you some money, but wherever you go the ATV and the iPhone would need to be on the same network for mirroring to be available.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deroo View Post

Hmmm, I think realistically you have two choices here.

1. Do as Apple techies said and basically store the videos on your phone so the Tv out will work properly

2. (this involves spending money) using and iPad and Apple TV you can use the mirroring feature to mirror anything on the iPad on the ATV.

Probably no what you wanted to hear. If the WD iPhone app had an Apple TV output that would save you some money, but wherever you go the ATV and the iPhone would need to be on the same network for mirroring to be available.

Thank you for the reply. I have saved over a TB of home movies on NAS Drive. I was thinking of when I visit family just to hook up Iphone to their TV and tap the NAS drive videos (simple in theory). Could not save that much video on Iphone.

Would the Apple TV mirrior anything on the Iphone? Could this be as simple as buying Apple TV, hooking that up to TV and mirrioring NAS videos via Iphone? How difficult is the Apple TV hook-up and set up with Iphone?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anotherhappyday1 View Post

Thank you for the reply. I have saved over a TB of home movies on NAS Drive. I was thinking of when I visit family just to hook up Iphone to their TV and tap the NAS drive videos (simple in theory). Could not save that much video on Iphone.

Would the Apple TV mirrior anything on the Iphone? Could this be as simple as buying Apple TV, hooking that up to TV and mirrioring NAS videos via Iphone? How difficult is the Apple TV hook-up and set up with Iphone?

Also, will Apple TV mirror videos notsaved on the internal memory of an Apple product (Iphone, Ipad, Itunes)? Such as the video files on the NAS Drive