New iPads begin arriving at Best Buy as another hands-on surfaces from Hong Kong [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Ahead of Friday's official launch of the new iPad, Best Buy stores have begun receiving inventory, as a new photo shows units stockpiled one of the retailer's back rooms. In addition, another hands-on with the new device has surfaced from Hong Kong.

New iPads pictured at Best Buy

Boxes of new iPad units at a Best Buy store awaiting Friday's launch can be seen in a picture sent to Engadget on Wednesday. The electronics retailer will be one of a number of stores to offer Apple's third-generation tablet on day one.

Customers who weren't among the first to order an iPad direct from Apple last week will likely have to camp out at a Best Buy, Apple Store or other partnering retail location if they want to get their hands on an iPad 3 this Friday, as preorders through Apple's online store sold out last week.

In addition to Apple stores and Best Buy, the new iPad will also be available at Radio Shack, Sam's Club, Target and Walmart, while 4G LTE versions will be available at AT&T and Verizon stores. It will go on sale at 8 a.m. local time.

Update: A Target employee, who declined to be named, has confirmed that the store has also received its first iPad shipment ahead of Friday's launch. According to the source, the tablets are arriving in cases containing five iPads and stores will be allotted between 5 to 120 units with the average getting between 20-30 units. Interestingly, the shipments are said to be coming straight from Apple and not the company's distribution center.

The unnamed source notes that the iPad will go on sale on Friday morning, with signage scheduled to go up Thursday night. Finally, some Target locations may institute a coupon system to control the expectedly large number of line-waiters.

If the rollout is akin to last year's iPad 2 debut, it will likely take several months before Target stores begin carrying a steady supply of the newest iPad.

More hands-on, sample pictures from new iPad

Another 4G LTE-capable iPad has been obtained in Hong Kong, where the magazine PCM shared hands-on impressions with the new hardware. It also offered a number of photos taken with the device, and a sample of its 1080p video recording.

The new hands-on from Hong Kong follows an unboxing of the third-generation iPad that came from Vietnam on Tuesday. Sample photos taken with the new iPad also surfaced and showed the new lens in the latest iPad is a dramatic improvement over last year's iPad 2.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Don't people realize that the only two devices out there that can clearly show the better resolution of the new iPad is the new iPad and the iPhone 4 or 4S. I don't know what they hope to show in these videos. Well I guess if you have a 4K TV and the video is shot in 4K you could also see it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Don't people realize that the only two devices out there that can clearly show the better resolution of the new iPad is the new iPad and the iPhone 4 or 4S. I don't know what they hope to show in these videos. Well I guess if you have a 4K TV and the video is shot in 4K you could also see it.

How would you show it with the iPhone? Other than that, my thoughts too.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

How would you show it with the iPhone? Other than that, my thoughts too.

Since the iPhone has a higher dpi you will not have a loss of data.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Since the iPhone has a higher dpi you will not have a loss of data.

Yes you would. It's the pixel count that matters.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

There is a close up of the iPad 2 and iPad 3 is one scene that clearly shows the iPad 3 display being much better.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    When it shows both iPads stacked, close-up, look at the Messages icon, you will see the difference in the pixellation of the icons.

Look here:

See what I mean?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Add poor camera handling and image compression when it is uploaded, and these types of videos mean nothing. Wait for the reviews, or better yet, the delivery driver.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is a close up of the iPad 2 and iPad 3 is one scene that clearly shows the iPad 3 display being much better.

Yes you can see that it is better. What you can't see is how amazing it is. We all know it is better, but the videos just can't show it for what it is. A picture of a tiger is nothing like a real tiger sitting in front of you.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

When it shows both iPads stacked, close-up, look at the Messages icon, you will see the difference in the pixellation of the icons.

See what I mean?

This closeup should have been able to show the pixels of the iPad 2, however the 2 is below the focal plane. If you had stacked 2 new iPads the same way, you'd probably have the same picture...

However, the sharpness of the new display (which is in focus) is obvious despite the compression.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Hmm, that's weird. Somehow that music sorta made me horny. Can't figure out why.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Don't worry... it's better!

But don't take my word for it:

• Reply 12 of 15
    Better than at the BestBuy store my new iPad is at my house. My wife took delivery today while I'm at work. She wants to go sell it early and make me wait. She was wondering how much extra people would pay to not wait.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeville View Post

Better than at the BestBuy store my new iPad is at my house. My wife took delivery today while I'm at work. She wants to go sell it early and make me wait. She was wondering how much extra people would pay to not wait.

Wow, I hope she was joking, otherwise that makes her sound a bit sadistic. Or like you did something to really upset her.

Good luck. I hope your iPad is still there when you get home.

(PS. I think the answer is about $100. That's the amount I saw some people willing to pay in ads asking someone else to stand in line for them on Friday.)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Apple sent this today:

Quote:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent iPad purchase at the Apple Online Store.

Althugh we strive to meet every delivery commitment, we regret to inform

you that your personalized iPad may be delayed until Tuesday, March 20.

We want you to experience the new iPad as soon as possible.

As a result, we're offering to expedite a replacement standard

non-personalized iPad for you on March 16.

If you ware interested in receiving the non-personalized iPad, please

reply to this email by 4:00 p.m. local time today, March 14,

If you choose to recieve the replacement iPad, you'll also receive an

email from FedEx with prepaid return labels. *Please use these labels to

return the personalize iPad.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. *Thank you for your

business.

Sincerely,

The Apple Online Store.

• Reply 15 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Apple sent this today:

Despite the spelling error it appears to be legit.