Apple poised to take 84% share of corporate market with new iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A new analysis indicates corporate interest in the iPad has reached a new high, as 84 percent of companies planning on buying tablets next quarter have said they plan on buying the iPad.

22 percent of the 1,604 business IT buyers surveyed by ChangeWave Research last month said they plan on buying tablets for their employees during the second quarter of 2012, as noted by Silicon Republic. Among those 22 percent of respondents, 84 percent said they were planning on buying the iPad, up from 77 percent in November and a previous high of 80 percent last May and August.

According to the survey, the surge in interest for Apple's touchscreen tablet will have an impact on each of its competitors in the market. Across the board, non-iPad tablet makers saw a decline in corporate interest from November 2011 to February 2012.

For instance, second-place tablet maker Samsung saw purchasing intent drop from 10 percent last quarter to 8 percent, while Amazon dropped from 7 percent to 6 percent. The rest of the vendors, none of which garnered more than 5 percent in the previous survey, experienced a decline of 1 to 2 percent in the number of respondents who plan on buying their tablets.

Apple is believed to have accomplished a sizable lead on its rivals in the business tablet space. Morgan Stanley's Katy Huberty assumed earlier this week that Apple will maintain as much as an 80 percent share of the enterprise tablet market.

The Cupertino, Calif., has indicated that nearly all of the top Fortune 500 companies are actively using iPads. Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said during a quarterly earnings call in January that business adoption of the iPad has been "unprecedented." The company sold 15.43 million iPads last quarter, up 111 percent year over year.

Preorder response to the third-generation iPad, set to go on sale on Friday at 8 a.m., has been extraordinary. Apple said in a statement last weekend that customer response was "off the charts." The allotment of iPads for preorders has already sold out and new orders will take as long as three weeks to ship.

Overwhelmingly positive responses initial reviews for Apple's third-generation iPad, set to go on sale on Friday, would also seem to suggest that Apple will have another hit with the device.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    So, roughly 300 companies plan on getting iPads next year. Well, depending on how many employees those companies have, that could be very good news.

Of course, how they are going to produce that many iPads in light of consumer demand (if these predictions of sales are anywhere near right, I don't know.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Having been a champion of Apple since I bought my first Mac in 1984, this news really warms my cockles.

It's a complete reversal of Apple's market share to MS Windows. It's hard to believe Apple is overshadowing Microsoft 84% to... wait, Microsoft isn't even on the above chart!

Well, like I said, this news really warms my cockles.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mode 5mode 5 Posts: 59member
    Shouldn't the total respondents buying tablets in the next quarter on the graph amount to 100%, not 115%?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Currently Apple's market capitalization is larger than the following iconic technology companies combined:

Apple $549.71B

Qualcomm $110.13B

Cisco $108.77B

Amazon $82.94

EMC $59.74B

HP $48.22

VMWare $44.84

Texas Instruments $36.65B

Dell $30.97B

Automatic Data Processing $27.07B

Alternatively, evaluating the top five competitors in Apple's key markets, Apple is larger than the top five competitors in the each of Apple's key markets (personal computers, smartphones and tablets) combined:

Apple $549.71B

Samsung Electronics $178.28B (smartphones and tablets)

Amazon $82.94B (tablets)

HP $48.22B (personal computers)

Dell $30.97B (personal computers)

Nokia $18.33B (smartphones)

Toshiba $18.14B (personal computers)

HTC $17.62B (smartphones)

LG Display $8.95B (smartphones)

Asus\t$7.26B (personal computers)

Acer $3.97B (personal computers)

RIM\t$6.78B (smartphones and tablets)

Barnes & Noble $0.824B (tablets)

Pandigital unknown value (tablets) (would need to be valued at over $100B which is highly unlikely)

*Notably, the latter comparison (of Apple's key market competitors) includes Amazon which arguably provides the best user experience and is fairly comparable in many aspects to Apple iTunes. Even if we add Google as an important component of competitor user experience (Google Play and Google Apps including Gmail, Google Docs, Google Talk, etc.) to include an entire suite for the user experience, Apple is very nearly still larger. In other words, Apple is poised to surpass Google and Google's strategic partners in mobile computing as well as the top personal computer manufacturers in combined market capitalization this year.

Clearly, Apple is Doomed!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post

Shouldn't the total respondents buying tablets in the next quarter on the graph amount to 100%, not 115%?

I tried to figure out the numbers, and figured that a bunch of rounding at happened.

That's why I said "about 300" or whatnot.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Really there is nothing out there that can do what the iPad "3" can do. SO it makes sense that the new iPad would dominate the market.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Really there is nothing out there that can do what the iPad "3" can do. SO it makes sense that the new iPad would dominate the market.

Which begs the question - what are the other 16% of the Companies planning to use? I feel sorry for them if they cannot afford iPads and settle for something else.

Or maybe they find something like the Asus Transformer Prime (something I've heard of, but never seen) more suitable or "rootable"?

For me, the iPad is, as someone aptly described it, a hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Having been a champion of Apple since I bought my first Mac in 1984, this news really warms my cockles.

It's a complete reversal of Apple's market share to MS Windows. It's hard to believe Apple is overshadowing Microsoft 84% to... wait, Microsoft isn't even on the above chart!

It is amazing to see what happened. I deserted apple after Steve left, and didnt come back until 2010 although my wife had the fist iPhone and before that the iPod. Now I'm a complete apple freak!

It was the iPad that brought me back, started playing with wife's one day and within a year added the phone, the MacBook, time capsule etc etc. Heck I'd buy the iRon and the iCoffee if they made one.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Couldn't agree more. It's funny how a few of the old die hard PC users I know insist on using something ... anything ... with Android rather than iOS for their mobile needs as they can't bring themselves to use an Apple product and coming to terms with exactly what you say. They are in complete shock and denial it seems.

My Mac from 1984 is on my bookcase beside me and still runs.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

It is amazing to see what happened. I deserted apple after Steve left, and didnt come back until 2010 although my wife had the fist iPhone and before that the iPod. Now I'm a complete apple freak!

It was the iPad that brought me back, started playing with wife's one day and within a year added the phone, the MacBook, time capsule etc etc. Heck I'd buy the iRon and the iCoffee if they made one.

"Siri, two coffees please" ... why not?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Couldn't agree more. It's funny how a few of the old die hard PC users I know insist on using something ... anything ... with Android rather than iOS for their mobile needs as they can't bring themselves to use an Apple product and coming to terms with exactly what you say. They are in complete shock and denial it seems.

My Mac from 1984 is on my bookcase beside me and still runs.

Not to sound cliché but resistance is futile. Once they get that first taste chances are their Techholm Syndrome will leave them and all their CE will be by Apple within a couple years.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Currently Apple's market capitalization is larger than the following iconic technology companies combined:

Apple $549.71B

Qualcomm $110.13B

Cisco $108.77B

Amazon $82.94

EMC $59.74B

HP $48.22

VMWare $44.84

Dell $30.97B

Alternatively, evaluating the top five competitors in Apple's key markets, Apple is larger than the top five competitors in the each of Apple's key markets (personal computers, smartphones and tablets) combined:

Apple $549.71B

Amazon $82.94B (tablets)

Pandigital unknown value (tablets) (would need to be valued at over $100B which is highly unlikely)

*Notably, the latter comparison (of Apple's key market competitors) includes Amazon which arguably provides the best user experience and is fairly comparable in many aspects to Apple iTunes. Even if we add Google as an important component of competitor user experience (Google Play and Google Apps including Gmail, Google Docs, Google Talk, etc.) to include an entire suite for the user experience, Apple is very nearly still larger. In other words, Apple is poised to surpass Google and Google's strategic partners in mobile computing as well as the top personal computer manufacturers in combined market capitalization this year.

Thanks, fascinating facts ... Heck, you can start adding countries into the list too! It is simply staggering and what's more 'we ain't seen nothin' yet!'
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not to sound cliché but resistance is futile. Once they get that first taste chances are their Techholm Syndrome will leave them and all their CE will be by Apple within a couple years.

Ha ha love the term "Techholm Syndrome".

There is one, a retired MIT professor, I know who will go to his grave clutching his PC. His self worth revolves around building his own boxes with parts he gets directly from Intel according to him. He builds machines Apple can only dream of.

I haven't had lunch with him since Apple was about $350 and he was explaining why I should sell because of a list of reasons that would have made slapppy proud. Not least of which was the 'closed garden' and the 'about to get crushed by Google's repeat of Microsoft's model, i.e. total dominance with Android'. The 'law of large numbers' was in there plus Apple about to go down on numerous law suits ... and of course there would soon be more apps in the open Android world

I wonder if he does contribute to this blog now I think about it ...

I really must call him about another lunch ...
  • Reply 14 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

His self worth revolves around building his own boxes with parts he gets directly from Intel according to him. He builds machines Apple can only dream of.

I can't believe that. Apple gets Xeon processors before they are on the market. They get chips with unique part numbers that no other vendor receives. Apple called Intel and got them to put into production the CULV processor design that is all the rave now in UltraBooks. Intel put their Thunderbolt in the Apple designed mDP port and gave them a full year of exclusivity (not sure who would have contacted who on that one).

I think Apple has a leg up over your boy getting scraps.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post

Only if you assume that a company can't buy more than one type of tablet. This suggests that 15% of the companies will be buying 2 different types of tablets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apple $549.71B

Qualcomm $110.13B

Cisco $108.77B

Amazon $82.94

EMC $59.74B

HP $48.22

VMWare $44.84

Dell $30.97B

Apple $549.71B

Amazon $82.94B (tablets)

An even more impressive fact:

Apple is now worth more than the entire U.S. retail sector combined:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/its-of...-retail-sector

Quote:

I can't believe that. Apple gets Xeon processors before they are on the market. They get chips with unique part numbers that no other vendor receives. Apple called Intel and got them to put into production the CULV processor design that is all the rave now in UltraBooks. Intel put their Thunderbolt in the Apple designed mDP port and gave them a full year of exclusivity (not sure who would have contacted who on that one).

Apple got advance processors at times in the past. That doesn't mean that they always will.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    The major aerospace corp I work at will not allow iPhone or iPad. They say as long as activation/setup etc has to go through outside servers, ie iTunes (boo berry is done on your corperate desk top computer with company corperate software boo berry app etc) they will not allow it. Sigh. They are essentially mirroring DOD, which is allowing iphone ipad, but is not allowing govt email. So, without the email... they say what's the point. Apple needs to allow some kind of corporate only control system(that will be the day).

I know apple is flying high now, but if governments etc will not allow them and require users to get android, Microsoft etc, could the the 80's/90's repeat all over again- why do I carry two of these things?

If I'm missing something here about Apple corporate activations etc, let me know.

Btw, I hate my corp boo berry phone. Luv my 'personal' iPhone 4s.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

An even more impressive fact:

Apple is now worth more than the entire U.S. retail sector combined:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/its-of...-retail-sector

Apple having greater value by market capitalization than the United States Retail sector (based on Standard & Poor's 500) isn't as impressive considering the state of the economy.

Apple having greater value than all their major competitors combined is beyond staggering especially considering that many of their competitors are generally considered "market-defining."
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

I agree, I just eat my sandwich and smile.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

The major aerospace corp I work at will not allow iPhone or iPad. They say as long as activation/setup etc has to go through outside servers, ie iTunes (boo berry is done on your corperate desk top computer with company corperate software boo berry app etc) they will not allow it. Sigh. They are essentially mirroring DOD, which is allowing iphone ipad, but is not allowing govt email. So, without the email... they say what's the point. Apple needs to allow some kind of corporate only control system(that will be the day).

I know apple is flying high now, but if governments etc will not allow them and require users to get android, Microsoft etc, could the the 80's/90's repeat all over again- why do I carry two of these things?

If I'm missing something here about Apple corporate activations etc, let me know.

Btw, I hate my corp boo berry phone. Luv my 'personal' iPhone 4s.

Wait, this can't be. I want to verify your statements:

1. The company which employs you finds activation via BlackBerry Enterprise Server acceptable (which is an "outside" server depending upon viewpoint) but Apple activation servers are not acceptable?

2. The company which employs you finds routing all web traffic through BlackBerry Enterprise Server including email acceptable but one-time activation via Apple servers is not acceptable?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Imagine the time and heartache that companies worldwide and their computer users would have been saved if Apple had had this penetration of the computer market 20 years ago

Quote: