Apple's thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro rumored to debut in April with Ivy Bridge i5, i7 CPUs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that works great for very portable users with the MBA that also want a desktop display but I think it gets hard to swallow for every MBP user. Apple's build quality and OS X are strong but I think that could hurt Apple a bit.

I see no reason why they can't use the tapered design and still have the back sides be a little bit thicker to accommodate the typical port array. Actually, eve more ports once that ODD is gone.

I disagree with you about the ports being necessary on the laptop and also that the Thunderbolt Display is not the best way to go, but I agree about how easy it would be to have a regular selection of ports on the laptop if they so desired.

Even if this new laptop was only an eighth of an inch thicker than the 11" Air, there would be room for Ethernet and Ethernet is the tallest port of all.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    put a high res screen on (if not an hipdi) and of course enable some scalability of fonts an ui elements via the os , lose the glare's galore effing glass and go with a semi gloss coating a la the air and I am sold.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple offers the most powerful docking station you can buy. It's called the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

It's a shame if you already have a monitor, but Apple is quite unlikely ever to offer a docking station without a monitor attached. It's a better, cleaner design overall and that's what Apple is all about really.

Not to mention that they can sell a new, expensive display to anybody who needs a docking station.

Yes, it is cleaner and simpler. But it is also more expensive and profitable.

Apple seems not to be about maximum choice for the consumer. Instead, Apple seems ot be all about selling the most expensive solution to consumers with some added benefits, whether the benefit is really needed, or not.

Anybody with an existing display, or anybody who wishes to use a third-party display will not be able to use them if they also want to dock their laptop. This is not good for consumers who want what they want.

That is what some people dislike about Apple. If you buy into the Apple way of doing things, you get a great solution. But if you think different from the way Apple does, you have limited, or no choice in the matter.

Apple could easily provide the choice to use an integrated monitor/dock, or the choice to use a separate dock. But they don't.

Apple will continue to do it their way, and will find plenty of customers, and make plenty of profits. But for people who wish to make up thier own minds about how they want to configure things, Apple products can feel constricting.

There is not right or wrong here - just a matter of personal preference. Millions of people like the Apple way of doing things, but many others think different. That is one big reason why a lot of people do not want to enter the Apple ecosystem - they want things their way, and not Apple's way.

An example is the App store. It is wonderful that Apple provides a curated store for those who want to buy in a safe environment. But there could be people who want a broader range of choices, albeit with the requirement that they use discretion as to whether they trust the source of the software. Apple will not let those sorts of people choose what they want. It is either buy at the App store, or don't. Why can't apple provide a curated App store, but also allow the tech savvy to download and install from third-party sources?

IMO, it is because it is more profitable to restrict users' choices a single source of supply, that being Apple. Not everybody wants to have their choices limited to "safe" choices. Some people like to buy the safest possible car, while others want to buy high performance cars that they can occasionally drive fast. Cars do not have governors that restrict them to go no faster than the posted speed limit. But Apple buyers are content to be restricted to the "safe" environment of the App Store. One size does NOT fit all, and some people do not want to change their preference to those of Apple. They think different from Apple, and IMO, they are within their rights to want what they want.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    palplepalple Posts: 35member
    I'd like to see:

1) discrete graphic (this is a must for a pro)

2) high res screen (a retina display would be a dream)

3) ssd hard drive, with an option for an 1.8" internal microdrive

4) ethernet and usb3 ports

5) macbook air design, a little ticker
  • Reply 25 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Not to mention that they can sell a new, expensive display to anybody who needs a docking station.

Apple seems not to be about maximum choice for the consumer. Instead, Apple seems ot be all about selling the most expensive solution to consumers with some added benefits, whether the benefit is really needed, or not.

Anybody with an existing display, or anybody who wishes to use a third-party display will not be able to use them if they also want to dock their laptop. This is not good for consumers who want what they want.

That is what some people dislike about Apple. If you buy into the Apple way of doing things, you get a great solution. But if you think different from the way Apple does, you have limited, or no choice in the matter.

Apple could easily provide the choice to use an integrated monitor/dock, or the choice to use a separate dock. But they don't.

Apple will continue to do it their way, and will find plenty of customers, and make plenty of profits. But for people who wish to make up thier own minds about how they want to configure things, Apple products can feel constricting.

There is not right or wrong here - just a matter of personal preference. Millions of people like the Apple way of doing things, but many others think different. That is one big reason why a lot of people do not want to enter the Apple ecosystem - they want things their way, and not Apple's way.

That is, of course, all nonsense - the typical anti-Apple FUD that you seem to spew all the time.

Apple creates great products and refuses to compromise unless there is no alternative. They're going to sell the best practical solution for a given application. If you want something less, you're free to buy it - just not from Apple. Expecting them to lower their standards just so you can buy a cheaper product (or a product which meets your specific demands) is silly. Apple has shown how successful a company can be by sticking to producing only very high quality products.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:

Intended reference to the 'think different' campaign ?
  • Reply 27 of 92
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is, of course, all nonsense - the typical anti-Apple FUD that you seem to spew all the time.

Apple creates great products and refuses to compromise unless there is no alternative. They're going to sell the best practical solution for a given application. If you want something less, you're free to buy it - just not from Apple. Expecting them to lower their standards just so you can buy a cheaper product (or a product which meets your specific demands) is silly. Apple has shown how successful a company can be by sticking to producing only very high quality products.

Any graphics professional will likely not want to use the "inferior" Apple displays, but go for ones like from the Eizo
  • Reply 28 of 92
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I do hope they offer a docking station with ethernet port or an on-board ethernet port (this article does not mention it will lack the ethernet port, other sites with the same source do).

And I'm not going to use an usb-ethernet adapter (speed issues, and because I don't buy a laptop to carry adapters around)

I'm on board with this as well. I transfer gigabytes to my laptop over the network at times, and I'm not going to sit around and wait on 802.11n. I'm also not going to carry around an adapter everywhere I go.

Quote:

Apple will sell 10 Zillion of them ... minus one.

They are Doomed.

minus two.

Quote:

A built-in RJ-45 jack is the make-it-or-break-it feature for you regardless of whatever else they do? Even if the next MBPs have Retina Displays?

Even if they have Retina Displays, not having an ethernet port effects my workflow. This is supposed to be a pro machine, they are making it less pro now.

Another thing that concerns me is Apple is known to underclock things in the past. Not that they'd underclock the main clockspeed, but perhaps the northbridge, memory, etc for less heat output. I'm worried they are going to hit a wall in heat dissipation by going thinner. My wife's mbp needs a cooling fan on it to keep it from locking up when she games or programs. Granted, I don't have this issue on my Sandybridge, but going thinner is going to make that challenge any easier.

I'll reserve judgement until I see that it doesn't have it, then I'll react.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new 15-inch MacBook Pros will be thinner than current models but thicker than a MacBook Air, and will feature Intel's latest Ivy Bridge Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs when they launch next month, according to a new report.

So the question we all have is whether or not the Air/Pro split will be thinning.

Given that we live in the "post PC" world, I suspect it will be in Apple's best interests to slowly draw down their PC-like offerings, including laptops.

A lineup with the mini and iMac, two Airs and two Pros would likely serve them fine.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

A lineup with the mini and iMac, two Airs and two Pros would likely serve them fine.

Until they realize they've lost a large developer base and the entire pro market.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thursday's report does stand in contrast to the earlier rumor on Wednesday from Electricpig, which characterized the forthcoming notebook update as a 15-inch MacBook Air, rather than a MacBook Pro.

Back to the naming / model issue... So maybe the 15 and 17 inch models will be called 'Pro' and the 11 and 13 inch, 'Air'. The 'Pro' model is slightly thicker allowing for dual SSD / HDD and ethernet ports, is my guess. Retina display? I'd love to see it and it surely would be a huge differentiator.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:

An example is the App store. It is wonderful that Apple provides a curated store for those who want to buy in a safe environment. But there could be people who want a broader range of choices, albeit with the requirement that they use discretion as to whether they trust the source of the software. Apple will not let those sorts of people choose what they want. It is either buy at the App store, or don't. Why can't apple provide a curated App store, but also allow the tech savvy to download and install from third-party sources?

IMO, it is because it is more profitable to restrict users' choices a single source of supply, that being Apple. Not everybody wants to have their choices limited to "safe" choices. Some people like to buy the safest possible car, while others want to buy high performance cars that they can occasionally drive fast. Cars do not have governors that restrict them to go no faster than the posted speed limit. But Apple buyers are content to be restricted to the "safe" environment of the App Store. One size does NOT fit all, and some people do not want to change their preference to those of Apple. They think different from Apple, and IMO, they are within their rights to want what they want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Although I appreciate the arguments, this is a pointless, pointless discussion. Apple IS NOT "limiting your options" in this case. There's NOTHING to stop a third-party vendor to build a stand-alone, monitorless, thunderbolt docking station and/or a thunderbolt to Gb ethernet adapter, if there's a demand for them.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Even if they have Retina Displays, not having an ethernet port effects my workflow. This is supposed to be a pro machine, they are making it less pro now.

According to whom?

Using your argument, the MacBook Pro isn't Pro at all because it isn't a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:

Correct, so if it hasn't got an ethernet port I'll not be buying a new air-like mac book pro, but instead go for an asus zenbook (A version with 1080p screen)

So instead of buying a $20 adapter you will punish yourself:-) Are you a Buddhist?
  • Reply 35 of 92
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Perhaps the "Macbook Air Pro"
  • Reply 36 of 92
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Don't be silly of course they can. They can choose a 3rd party docking solution as well as a 3rd party monitor. Nothing says "This will only work with Apple Displays. Haha.

Quote:

Android is that way. A single app store is considered a feature, not a bug by those who want it. I don't trust the Android store and the music creation apps I want don't exist on Android at all, so I'm happy w/Apple. New iPad 3 arrives tomorrow

Quote:

Not everybody wants to have their choices limited to "safe" choices. Cars do not have governors that restrict them to go no faster than the posted speed limit. They think different from Apple, and IMO, they are within their rights to want what they want.

Those people are free to buy something else. No one is removing their rights as consumers. BTW, cars do have governors restricting speed. Compare the exact same car's European version and American version. Nearly all the Euro ones have a higher top speed. It isn't governed all the way down to the speed limit, but it is less. Also, trucking companies install limiters to keep their drivers from speeding.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

So instead of buying a $20 adapter you will punish yourself:-) Are you a Buddhist?

Didn't you read he prvious post?
  • Reply 38 of 92
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

A built-in RJ-45 jack is the make-it-or-break-it feature for you regardless of whatever else they do? Even if the next MBPs have Retina Displays?

Why is this such a hard concept for people to understand? Not everyone works in a location blanketed by high speed wifi. Some people have to connect to secure networks. Dongles suck. A retina display doesn't do squat when you can't get to your data.

Apple products gained so much ground over the last decade because they were able to impress both the barristas at starbucks and technical people who value performance.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    This is good news because the MBP are getting a bit too thick/heavy for 2012! They are good products but need to be trimmed a bit!
  • Reply 40 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Any graphics professional will likely not want to use the "inferior" Apple displays, but go for ones like from the Eizo

A graphics professional will most likely not let something so trivial determine their choice of computer. It's easy enough to buy a Thunderbolt-Ethernet (or even Thunderbolt-Fibre Channel) adapter:

http://www.thunderbolt-peripherals.c...erbolt-adapter