Teardown of Apple's new iPad finds Samsung-built Retina display, A5X CPU

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why only keyboards?

There are not many consumer devices that requires long battery life OVER data transmission speed. Limited usage for things like heart rate monitors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't see anybody mentioning anything about any Playbook on the official Bluetooth site.

It is listed as Bluetooth 3.1 on the official Bluetooth website --- but there is no such thing as Bluetooth 3.1.

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/EPL_De...roductID=20291

You click the "technical information" and then click further on "view PICS details" --- the Playbook passes Bluetooth's original core 4.0 specs (but not the amended Dec 2011 4.0 version).
  • Reply 42 of 107
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member
    Quote:

I love iFixit, especially this commitment to travel from CA, USA to Australia to get this teardown out a few hours early.

It's a good excuse to stop over in Asia for a day of light shopping as well. Akihabara, anyone?
  • Reply 43 of 107
    Quote:

A complete disassembly of the new iPad has offered a glimpse inside the hardware, including a Samsung-built Retina display and A5X processor.

Yeah, not really news for anyone who follows AI regularly...
  • Reply 44 of 107
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

2) I'm sure it's 45nm but for the 6th gen iPhone I think it's possible to be 32nm. There is a lot about this A5X the G6 iPhone doesn't need. I also expect the MDM9600 to be replaced by the MDM9615.

Apple could just use a 1.2 GHz A5 in the next iPhone, if they want to increase CPU/GPU performance at all. They'll need the MDM9615 if they don't want to have thicker device or a bigger device.

Quote:

3) So that leaves about 40% more power draw to the display assembly?

My guess is that out of the ~4.7 W power draw with LTE web browsing or video streaming, it'll be about:

MDM9600: 0.5 W

A5X + RAM: 0.75 W

Display: 3.5 W (50 to 70% brightness)

Everything else is assumed negligible. So, if they want to make any headway into reducing power consumption, they need that IGZO display tech in addition to finding more efficient LEDs which power the backlight.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Apple could just use a 1.2 GHz A5 in the next iPhone, if they want to increase CPU/GPU performance at all. They'll need the MDM9615 if they don't want to have thicker device or a bigger device.

Yes, I agree --- with a process shrink, Apple can jut put a faster A5 on the next iphone.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    frickfrick Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Note that the SoC isn't in a package-on-package anymore. The RAM is mounted on the other side of the PCB. The A5X looks to be you typical BGA style CPU package. This probably means it's a 45 nm part. How they'll fit all this into the iPhone I don't know.

If the frequency is the same and the voltages are the same, this power consumption is just linear with the increase in number of transistors. The extra two GPU cores was about 30-40% of the die space in the A5 die pictures. So ~30% if it is using the same fab process as the A5.

Wait and see.

Hoo boy. If the A5X is really a 45nm part I will be returning my pre-ordered 16 GB Wi-Fi. The battery in the new iPad may be higher capacity, but it'll take longer to charge and a bigger/hotter SoC will cause its capacity to decrease more rapidly.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Broadcom BCM4330 802.11a/b/g/n MAC/Baseband/Radio with Integrated Bluetooth 4.0+HS and FM Transceiver

SWEET, this thing has an FM Transceiver! NOW i can't wait until tomorrow!
  • Reply 48 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Broadcom BCM4330 802.11a/b/g/n MAC/Baseband/Radio with Integrated Bluetooth 4.0+HS and FM Transceiver

The chip may have a FM tuner, but does it have a FM antenna attached to it.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The chip may have a FM tuner, but does it have a FM antenna attached to it.

Well if it's like most devices it just uses the wire off of your earphones as the antenna. At least that is what my phones do.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Well if it's like most devices it just uses the wire off of your earphones as the antenna. At least that is what my phones do.

So you are telling me that you won't get FM radio if you just use the ipad's internal speakers?
  • Reply 51 of 107
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

I can't believe Apple won the lawsuit in Germany preventing the sale of the Galaxy Tab and Samsung still sells them parts for the iPad.

really makes me wonder what the point of all the lawsuits are....... odd.

In the last year or two, a Samsung exec flew to California and met with Apple (maybe Steve) and Apple locked them into a parts deal that runs until about 2014. Sammy can't run away from that contract without suffering serious losses in revenue as well as legal judgments for breach of contract.

Apple commenced the lawsuits right after inking that deal. They knew what was coming, but I don't think Sammy did. I think Apple's working hard to develop other supplier relationships before 2014, when Sammy could (but probably won't) cut ties with them.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Maybe the iPad is just the device which makes it take off, since they're going to sell many tens of millions of them. The iPhone 4S also has it, so that's hundreds of millions of people.

There are some health devices which already use bluetooth 4.0.

Nike Fuel band is bluetooth 4.0. I think that we're going to see a lot of 4.0 accessories this year.

Not sure why, but my 4S does not detect my MBA when both have BT enabled. It just doesn't work seamlessly, IMO.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

So you are telling me that you won't get FM radio if you just use the ipad's internal speakers?

That's the way the iPod nano 4th gen did it. Very handy thing to have.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

There are not many consumer devices that requires long battery life OVER data transmission speed. Limited usage for things like heart rate monitors.

What about BT headsets? Or wearable computing devices like Nike Fuel Band and it's successors that can monitor many vitals and then trickle update data periodically or remote controls that don't require line-of-sight?
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

The ipad 2 , iphone 4s and iphone 4 all have fm transceivers in them also. The ipad 3 will not be any different. Apple will not have it enabled.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:

What about BT headsets? Or wearable computing devices like Nike Fuel Band and it's successors that can monitor many vitals and then trickle update data periodically or remote controls that don't require line-of-sight?

I don't know whether BT 4.0 is fast enough for streaming audio because its throughput is about 200 kbps.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Cost is probably a big issue.

Another issue is performance. In this regard they most likely needed a significant increase in bandwidth over the A5 to push all of those pixels.

As to process technology it would be a disappoinmet if they didn't make 32nm but I suspect they where heavily focused on other engineering issues to deliver this iPad. It also makes me think iPhone 5 will have an entirely different processor.

Hopefully somebody will take it upon themselves to pull one of the A5X chips apart for an under the skirt photo.

Quote:

Note that the SoC isn't in a package-on-package anymore. The RAM is mounted on the other side of the PCB. The A5X looks to be you typical BGA style CPU package. This probably means it's a 45 nm part. How they'll fit all this into the iPhone I don't know.

If the frequency is the same and the voltages are the same, this power consumption is just linear with the increase in number of transistors. The extra two GPU cores was about 30-40% of the die space in the A5 die pictures. So ~30% if it is using the same fab process as the A5.

Wait and see.

• Reply 58 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I don't know whether BT 4.0 is fast enough for streaming audio because its throughput is about 200 kbps.

I wasn't thinking about when it's on a call, I was thinking about it being in BLE between calls for an enhanced standby time (speculative). BLE also allows for a faster setup time, too so when you press and hold the button to talk to Siri or a local phone system to make a call it may appear more responsive.
  • Reply 59 of 107
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

- Bluetooth 4.0 (first tablet to have bluetooth 4.0) = Check

The new iPad boasts obvious improvements such as a sharp Retina display, faster graphics, and 4G LTE but it breaks Bluetooth ground, too, which is just as significant.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...ould-you-care/

Oh neato, two devices (that probably aren't in production yet) to use BT4.0! Until there is some decent adoption of this protocol, no one cares about it. Just like thunderbolt. Speaking of thunderbolt, can't wait to get my USB 3.0 docking station.
  • Reply 60 of 107
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

In the last year or two, a Samsung exec flew to California and met with Apple (maybe Steve) and Apple locked them into a parts deal that runs until about 2014. Sammy can't run away from that contract without suffering serious losses in revenue as well as legal judgments for breach of contract.

Apple commenced the lawsuits right after inking that deal. They knew what was coming, but I don't think Sammy did. I think Apple's working hard to develop other supplier relationships before 2014, when Sammy could (but probably won't) cut ties with them.

That meeting was with Tim Cook after he became CEO in late last year, they decided to extend the deal to 2014 and among other things increase SSD's in the MBAs. Samsung has no reason to "run away" from the contracts. Why would it relinquish the prestige of having its arch-rival depend on it for critical components.