Apple wants to improve bonding of plastic and metal in building new iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but you're the one who didn't read it.

Read claim #2. They're claiming a patent - even if the roughness is already in the metal part without any further treatment. Then, beyond that, they simply list several ways to create roughness in the metal part - of of them very well known.

There's absolutely nothing in the application that isn't already well known to anyone who practices ultrasonic welding.

This thread has caused my opinion of you to change and thus my attitude towards you.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    I know nothing about bonding, but I did note the article was written in trolling form yet again. It starts with "Rather than use unreliable adhesives" implying everyone else is doing it incorrectly. Objectivity seems to be missing quite often.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I know nothing about bonding, but I did note the article was written in trolling form yet again. It starts with "Rather than use unreliable adhesives" implying everyone else is doing it incorrectly. Objectivity seems to be missing quite often.

Read some patents. That's standard patent language.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

How would you word it to emphasize a technique that you found provided a better bond?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

How would you word it to emphasize a technique that you found provided a better bond?

Why do you assume that the bond is better?

Maybe it is a "good enough" bond, but cheaper?
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Why do you assume that the bond is better?

Maybe it is a "good enough" bond, but cheaper?

Maybe because the patent application said so?

"By specially treating the metal surface or surfaces to which ultrasonic bonding will take place, a stronger mechanical interlocking and bond with the plastic part or parts to be attached can be realized."

Perhaps you should read things before commenting on them.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    As for the slight tink sound in the iPhone; might it be the vibrator motor? In which case it would have to be loose to function.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Haven't we moved beyond metal + plastic to metal + glass?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I think this patent exposes one of the problems with the patent system. Make the application narrow enough and there won't be any prior art. This concept is obvious and widely used in a less narrow applications.

The dovetail joint comes to mind. Wait! Is that patented yet? I gotta go!.....
  • Reply 30 of 35
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I worried about this same problem when I got my iPhone 4S. But after checking Apple's Support Communities, I learned that the rattling is an inherent aspect of the camera. If I remember correctly, users were saying that it is a free-floating lens element.

One way to check is to turn on the camera and focus on something close. If the rattling stops, then it is the lens element. This was the case for my iPhone. Since then, it no longer bothers me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

My iPhone rattles when I set it down on a hard surface, it has done this from the day I purchased the phone. I believe it to be something with the camera lens not being secure in the device, this has really annoyed me since I bought the iPhone, an iPhone 4. It sort of sounds like some part is loose in there. Sort of makes me feel this is a cheaply built, mass-produced device (which is is), not much quality control. Oh well. Still works like it should.

Quote:

Why didn't you take it back? They will replace it for you if it's still under warranty.

As for quality control, what's your evidence that there's not much quality control? A single phone that rattles? That's silly. The iPhone is a very high quality device with customer satisfaction that's off the charts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

I hear this very faint "rattling", but if you hold the volume and power buttons while shaking your device it stops. It's been a non issue for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Yes, it is a very faint rattle, like a tink-tink-tink sound I hear when I set the iPhone 4 down on a hard surface like a table, it sounds like a small part is sitting loose in the device, it could likely just be the buttons (metal hitting metal) inside the bezel, I will check it out.

Like you said, it is a non-issue because my device works 100% fine and the camera works perfectly too, I haven't had any functionality problems....it just doesn't sound like the thing is all 'solid' with this small jostling sound.

Edit: OK I just checked it out, and holding down the volume buttons and the power button doesn't fix the issue. It makes this rattle sound when I tap the backplane of the device near the camera, a clear rattle sound like a loose part in the device. Again, it's a nearly 2 year old iPhone 4, but it's been making the sound since I got the device.

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Maybe because the patent application said so?

"By specially treating the metal surface or surfaces to which ultrasonic bonding will take place, a stronger mechanical interlocking and bond with the plastic part or parts to be attached can be realized."

Perhaps you should read things before commenting on them.

Fair enough.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Haven't we moved beyond metal + plastic to metal + glass?

This patent application doesn't have to be something that's currently in use. They may not ever use it, but certainly may not be using it now.

But ultrasonic welding won't easily weld glass to metal. For that to work, you'd have to have temperatures so high that the device would be deformed.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is common practice with all sorts of bonding methods. Beyond that I can't see such abounding method as ever being teliable.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

A great feature of many Apple products is that the aluminum housing is easy to recycle; only weak adhesives are used, for example to attach the battery to the iPad 2 back, and can be easily ripped out.

Permanent, deep bonding of plastic and metal results in a metal part that cannot be recycled. Modern industrial design calls for ease of material separation, and this is the opposite. The plastic would be so embedded that it could be removed only by burning it off, which would emit toxic gasses and particulates.

If responsibly handled, this adds to recycling cost, making it less viable, and goes against EPEAT Design for End of Life rules 4.3.1.7 and 4.3.2.1.

Yeah my reaction too was that this technique should not be employed in articles that are meant to be recyclable. More useful would be a method of securely but reversibly bonding disparate materials. Something perhaps like gecko adhesion, though that is obviously being patented elsewhere. Anyway I'd imagine the field is still pretty wide open, as the current technology I believe relies on a separate substance. Ideally, joining surfaces would simply be finished in such a way that they would bond upon the presure of contact, and be separable under a predetermined force.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Has anyone considered how using an amorphous metal alloy might make this welding technique more or less effective?