First Look: New 1080p Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    dbdukesdbdukes Posts: 12member
    About that software update...

There's a bug. On the older version, when you went to TV shows housed on a computer (via Home Sharing), when you displayed "By Show", the shows were in alphabetical order. Now, they're in order of the earliest episode downloaded within the show (that took some thought to figure out).

It's been reported multiple times, and Apple acknowledged it's a bug they're working on, before closing my report as a duplicate.

It's always something, isn't it?

[Edit: And, I see the previous commenter was mentioning the same thing.]
  • Reply 22 of 55
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'm not liking the new Apple TV user interface at all.

Me neither. The old one was much easier to navigate, while still allowing for more options. This new one is too much "ooh shiny" for no reason.

Unfortunately, my kids updated my aTV2 while I was out, so it looks like I might be stuck with the new interface.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    I persevered and scooped two new iPads on launch day, but the ordering process took so long i gave up with the apple TV, now online they are 2 weeks!

Does anyone have any insight as to availability in store or other outlets, Walmart, Best-Buy etc for tomorrow morning?
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Does anyone know if the new Apple TV looks better overall? Menus, Photos, etc. Or is it just 1080p iTunes and Netflix?
  • Reply 25 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Please could someone with a new AppleTV determine if it still resamples all audio to 48 kHz? Many thanks in advance?
  • Reply 26 of 55
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Like I've said before, I believe an app-centric interface (such as this current iteration of AppleTV) will most likely be used for the forthcoming Apple-branded TV, with each app representing a different show.

So it makes sense for these apps to be deletable and re-arrangable as they are on the iPhone/iPad interface. Perhaps your iPhone/iPad will be able to mirror what's on the Apple-branded TV so that you can more easily arrange the icons.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

What do you suggest? The old one was completely unsuitable for all of the features it now has. And consider more will come in the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I still haven't updated my ATV2 software - every time I see pix of the new interface, such as in this article, I just kind of cringe. It seems like such a step backwards, and so cumbersome (IMHO, given my own use patterns).

Quote:

I suggest giving the ability to rearrange the app-looking icons. That seems like an obvious first step.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Seems like an incremental improvement in usability to me.

I'd like to be able to make certain features/options that I'll never use disappear from the interface.

I'll never be using MLB or NHL so I'd prefer not to them taking up valuable space.

I'd also like to move things I use a lot to the top of the interface.

[And I'd most like my AppleTV to be able to access media off a networked drive (even if it had to be in an iTunes Library,) rather than off my Mac via iTunes.]

[Also I'm not thrilled with the metadata part of the interface. The AppleTV seems to have trouble reading the metadata from Podcasts and lots of information is truncated, disorganized, and hard to read even on a big screen. Apple needs to take a few choice pointers from the PLEX interface as far as data display.]

• Reply 27 of 55
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Got my 3 new AppleTVs today. Two installed easily and work great. The picture is improved. The third is giving me audio but no pic so I think I have an HDMI cable problem. Will try and switch the cable and see if this fixes the issue.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Please could someone with a new AppleTV determine if it still resamples all audio to 48 kHz? Many thanks in advance?

I'd be more than happy to, but I have no idea how to do that.

<-- (not the brightest bulb in the lamp)
  • Reply 29 of 55
    The most important question is STILL...

WHERE IS THE APPLE TV APP STORE?!

Oh, also why isn't Bluetooth enabled by default again? Why can't we stream 1080P via AirPlay? Are we waiting on 802.11ac for that?!
  • Reply 30 of 55
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Oh, also why isn't Bluetooth enabled by default again? Why can't we stream 1080P via AirPlay? Are we waiting on 802.11ac for that?!

Before they launch an Apple TV app store they'd have to ship a new Apple TV with some usable onboard RAM in order to store the apps.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    It is just about pointless update other than keeping up with the Joneses.

Sorry, I love Apple products. I have the ATV2 but this one was just underwhelming. Congrats to the new owners, though.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

I'm liking it. Nice, functional, and easy to navigate layout.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'd be more than happy to, but I have no idea how to do that.

<-- (not the brightest bulb in the lamp)

You'll only be able to do it by connecting the AppleTV via optical cable to a DAC or amplifier that reports the sample rate of the incoming signal. If you've got such a setup, stream a 44.1 kHz sample-rate file (preferably both by pulling content from iTunes to AppleTV by choosing the "computers" option from the ATV UI, and by pushing via AirPlay) and see if it comes out at 44.1 or 48 kHz
  • Reply 34 of 55
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You'll only be able to do it by connecting the AppleTV via optical cable to a DAC or amplifier that reports the sample rate of the incoming signal. If you've got such a setup, stream a 44.1 kHz sample-rate file (preferably both by pulling content from iTunes to AppleTV by choosing the "computers" option from the ATV UI, and by pushing via AirPlay) and see if it comes out at 44.1 or 48 kHz

Ahh, no, don't have that set-up.

Well, it was worth a try.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

The first thing I did with my Apple TV was program the Apple remote functions into my universal remote. I haven't touched it since.

+1. Universal all the way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

It is just about pointless update other than keeping up with the Joneses.

Sorry, I love Apple products. I have the ATV2 but this one was just underwhelming. Congrats to the new owners, though.

I agree here too. Very blah and underwhelming update. I still sold all three for $80/per, and will get 3 more tomorrow on amazon. It's worth a $19 upgrade at least (for the A5 processor). I'm holding out for hope it also has upgraded ram and wireless range. The Teardown will tell the tale.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Don't need one since Airplay mirroring exists for iPhones, iPads, and with ML, in Macs.

Quote:

Oh, also why isn't Bluetooth enabled by default again?

What do you need bluetooth for? Seems like a waste of power.

Quote:

Why can't we stream 1080P via AirPlay?

You can, but you can't mirror from an iPad or iPhone at 1080p, likely because those devices can't encode at that quality and function at the same time

Quote:

Are we waiting on 802.11ac for that?!

No, for capable hardware.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Before they launch an Apple TV app store they'd have to ship a new Apple TV with some usable onboard RAM in order to store the apps.

Actually, since your iTunes account and aTV can be synced the OS could have a "Purchased Apps" category in the same manner it handles purchased movies and TV with the purchased apps reloaded on the fly. Apps could even stay resident until they are flushed out to make room for a new downloaded app using the logic of least used, first replaced.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Quote:

It looks to me like it's designed to layout perfectly on an iPad, so I'm guessing we will see a dedicated app that mirrors the interface on the iPad or even iPhone/Touch - it makes a bit more sense when you start thinking about flicking and swiping...
  • Reply 39 of 55
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Why does it not include an HDMI cable? One would think Apple would make their products useable right out of the box.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Don't need one since Airplay mirroring exists for iPhones, iPads, and with ML, in Macs.

Requiring the use of an incredibly expensive smart phone or tablet computer to plug the holes in the incredibly limited functionality of ATV is completely absurd.

The ATV needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet, and it's still incapable of putting on much of a show. The Roku box offers much more, and an Xbox or PS3 offer vastly more. Apple need to either open the ATV to third party apps, or just actually give a damn in bringing new internally developed apps to the system.

I live in the UK where BBC iPlayer is the no.1 streaming service by a mile. Nothing comes within even 10% of it's market share for real content. (I'm excluding Youtube etc) And yet there is no BBC iPlayer on the ATV. That alone is a deal breaker for most people in the UK. Even in the US the ATV still lacks Hulu support, which I can imagine is also something of problem for many.

In short, Apple need to try harder. Much harder. And give the ATV a good looking UI too, as the one they have now, pre and post tweaks, is absolutely hideous.