Labor protestors plan demonstrations for iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Here is what you can find google searching for less than five minutes:

Foxconn had 14 employee suicides in 1 year.

Foxconn employs 1 Million.

The United States national average is 11 suicides...per 100,000.

For the idiot protestors who cannot be bothered with math, that's 110 suicides per Million.

Ergo: Foxconn suicides are virtually an order of magnitude of 10 less than the average for the US.

China's suicide rate is comparable to the US according to some links I found, and according to most others... way, way worse. Looking at the numbers, Foxconn is a relative psychological safe haven.

But don't take my word for it...just google search national suicide averages and compare the numbers. For some reason, this is just a little too difficult for most people to do. It's hard to see what the media has done to this issue as anything but intent to sabotage by those who own the media. Why else would they do it?
  • Reply 62 of 84
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    What a sumofHypcrites and changeHypocrites.

I bet these low lives think they are God's answer to the workers but sad to find their intentions are filled with vested interest.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    These people are pathetic!

Ask them where the underwear collecting sh** stains between the crack of their collectives a$$es are made at.

CHINA!
  • Reply 64 of 84
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That guy is wearing a nice coat and scarf that probably cost more than a month wages for the Chinese workers who made it.

Exactly!!!!

He's a dou### bag looking for attention.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Wonderful news. I hope they get more exposure.

I hope people start to think twice about purchasing Apple products until they get their act together and start building plants in America. I'd be more than willing to pay more knowing that it was made by decently paid workers and boost US GDP at the same time, and not some communist country, whose economy is expected to over take over the US by the middle of this century.

And also, at the same time, I hope this also brings more light to the other companies use of companies like Foxconn and have them get their own share of the spotlight as well.

Apple should start things off on the right path. Now is the chance to make a difference. Dont disappoint me.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I hope people start to think twice about purchasing Apple products until they get their act together and start building plants in America. I'd be more than willing to pay more knowing that it was made by decently paid workers and boost US GDP at the same time, and not some communist country, whose economy is expected to over take over the US by the middle of this century.

And also, at the same time, I hope this also brings more light to the other companies use of companies like Foxconn and have them get their own share of the spotlight as well.

Apple should start things off on the right path. Now is the chance to make a difference. Dont disappoint me.

So YOUR that guy with the "Buy Amererkan" bumper sticker on the back of their pickup?
  • Reply 67 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Had a night mare last night. People trying to kill me. My VA Doctor has me going to a PTSD class. I have tried so hard to get better but I cant get the violence out of my head. I over dosed in November and spent time in the hospital. It messed up my mind and my liver. I don't have many people I can talk to about my feelings. I am sorry if this bothers all of you. What does this have to do with Apple Insider? I want to go on the record that Apple Products help me with my suicide and depression. Allot of you here have been nice to me and shown compassion. Thanks.

Stay strong, brother. There are lot more vets out there that are still kicking. Many more than you might imagine.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a bunch of ignorant morons.

What's the difference between these lunatics and the Westboro Church protesters? Not much I'd say.

As a gay man, I find that very offensive.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:

Guess what- that communist country is more technically innovative than we are (they lead the world in solar distribution and bullet train speeds). They work harder and smarter than we do. They are better educated than we are.

If Apple products were made in America, they would not be able to keep up with demand both in supply and in innovation due to the exorbitant demands of union labor.

Nobody hires American workers anymore because they are no longer skilled. Do I like that being the reality? Not at all. I wish I could live in a country that valued education and passion as much as a Kardashian wedding or a WWF match.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

As a gay man, I find that very offensive.

Why can't you just say that as a human being, you find the OP comments offensive? Or shall we all list our particulars that make our statements more meaningful?

I'll go first...

As a former rock star, Cal Bear, former Marine pilot, former husband, current father, recovering Catholic, sometimes liberal, fly fishing fanatic, and unabashed Apple lover, seer of all*things, but master of none, I find the OP's comments very offensive.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Mark Shields, along with the fat slob Mike Daisey, are ignorant arrogant morons of the first order who have no clue what they are talking about.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:

The problem with the Internet is that any moron can post comments like this. As an American living and teaching in China I find it offensive, as well as embarrassing that their are so many ignorant and arrogant Amercans who havent the foggiest idea about China, it's people, culture or economy.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Perhaps the quickest thing that can be done for these workers is to give them more money!

I propose that Apple and it's resellers always ask the buyer to pay a donation to the workers. You know, like Paypal has an option to add a donation to a charity. So Shields and anyone else buying any Apple product can voluntarily top up their payment for the welfare of Chinese workers - or any worker involved in producing the product.

If this catches on 'we' could roll it out across everything we buy:

"That's $295.67 for that item please Mam, and how much would you like to add for the workers welfare today? They recommend at least 10%"
  • Reply 74 of 84
    Obviously by reading the comments here these protesters have no credibility due to their selective "rage". I too have worked in China and Foxconn and Shenzhen in general are waaaay better than the rest of China and even some other Asian countries in terms of working conditions. I think a coup,e of years ago they improved even more. They are literally barking up the wrong tree with these silly protests.

I think its more than that though. Its a protest against success and against the "man". Since apple is now the most valued company in the world, they have effectively become "the man".
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Perhaps the quickest thing that can be done for these workers is to give them more money!

I propose that Apple and it's resellers always ask the buyer to pay a donation to the workers. You know, like Paypal has an option to add a donation to a charity. So Shields and anyone else buying any Apple product can voluntarily top up their payment for the welfare of Chinese workers - or any worker involved in producing the product.

"That's $295.67 for that item please Mam, and how much would you like to add for the workers welfare today? They recommend at least 10%"

Another moronic post. These workers already make above average wages for factory workers, work in clean well lit modern factories, have above average savings plus send money home to support their families yet somehow the ignorant and arrogant who have no clue about China, it's history, it's people or it's culture seem to think they know best about what's going on. Please, solve your own problems in your own country, lord knows it needs help!
  • Reply 76 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

I don't mean to sound condescending, but you must not have a lot of life experience. What happens in most cases with donations, they end up in the pockets of whoever is in charge of distributing them.

You don't have to pity anyone. Life experience will teach you that often when someone is pity-worthy, there is something wrong with them too. There are many causes in this world, far more noble than sweatshop labor.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Here is what you can find google searching for less than five minutes:

Foxconn had 14 employee suicides in 1 year.

Foxconn employs 1 Million.

The United States national average is 11 suicides...per 100,000.

For the idiot protestors who cannot be bothered with math, that's 110 suicides per Million.

Ergo: Foxconn suicides are virtually an order of magnitude of 10 less than the average for the US.

China's suicide rate is comparable to the US according to some links I found, and according to most others... way, way worse. Looking at the numbers, Foxconn is a relative psychological safe haven.

But don't take my word for it...just google search national suicide averages and compare the numbers. For some reason, this is just a little too difficult for most people to do. It's hard to see what the media has done to this issue as anything but intent to sabotage by those who own the media. Why else would they do it?

Unfortunately 5 minutes with google does not expalin the futility of comparing national rates of suicide with those of a given firm. If foxconn's rates were anywhere near the national average it would indicate that working at foxconn was extremely dangerous. Why, because the highest risk groups in china are elderly rural women, the mentally ill and the unemployed. Each of these groups is under represented at foxconn. A better comparison would be between similar firms in the same region.

Without such comparisons it is not possible to determine whether foxconn are doing a good job or not.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xiamenbill View Post

Having lived in China since 1999 I can tell you Foxconn now has relatively luxurious working conditions. These idiots have no reference to how business is conducted in China. The short answer is, business ethics is a contadiction in terms in China and most of Asia. This is a country with 5000 years of continuous history, and for that vast majority, a brutal history. But no matter how abhorant to the bleeding hearts, they are the most successful culture in history. Why do think there are more Chinese than any other people. Their system works. Talk to the man on the street and they will tell you how good these workers have it. Try the other electronics manufacturers? Better yet, try the plight of Chinese construction workers. They usually live on site for the duration of a project, either in in simple Tin-roofed brick shacks, or converted shipping containers, with all their pay withheld until the end.

As said before these lot are only well-fed attention seekers; professional protesters, surely funded by competitors. Tell them when they have sat next to these people and hear how grateful they are to have a job, when they've eaten with them and find they're gaining weight because they have more than enough to eat for maybe the first time in their lives, then they might sing a different song.

since when was population size a measure of cultural deveolpment? Does that mean that India is superior given that within the next 20 years it will have a larger population?

china must have wept the day you left... Who else will now pat them on the head and tell them how lucky they are to have a job"
  • Reply 79 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Why don't you prove that you're not a hypocrite. Show us that you spend equal amounts of time attacking Samsung, Dell, HP, Microsoft, and virtually every other global manufacturer for the same thing? In fact, since Apple does a demonstrably better job than the rest, you should be spending MORE time attacking the others - yet here you are singling Apple out for attack.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    Why is the focus on Apple? Doesn't Foxconn employ these people? Where is the Chinese government on this issue? Apple treats their direct employees great and is one of the best companies to work for so I am not understanding this. The issue is not Apples to control. The workers are not employed by Apple.

The same liberals that think the US defense should mind their own business internationally seem to think that US companies should act as a union for the Chinese workers abroad. Why do they stand at a distance, uneducated about how to make an ipad, and complain to the wrong company about change? GO TO CHINA... TALK TO FOXCONN... Figure out ways to contribute to a better solution than ways to complain and take from those that perform.

Apple succeeded over Microsoft by innovating and coming up with a better solution, not by complaining to Microsoft that it's not fair. Shouldn't these same prinicipals apply to those complaining outside of Apples's stores today?

Maybe attention is what they are really after. Complaining never once moved me ahead.