Apple's last-generation Digital AV Adapter 'not optimized' for new iPad

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

A new report notes that attempting to use an old Apple Digital AV Adapter with the new iPad results in an alert that it is "not optimized" for the device, though the accessory still works once the alert is dismissed. Apple also appears to have slightly modified the Smart Cover-compatible magnets on the right side of the iPad, possibly affecting some third-party covers.

Japan's MacOtakara reported on Friday that the older version of the Apple Digital AV Adapter, part number MC953ZM/A, displays a "This accessory is not optimized for this iPad" alert when connected to the just-released third-generation iPad.

Apple is selling a new version of the adapter, part number MD098ZM/A, that is compatible with the new iPad. It's not immediately clear, however, what changes

Report author Danbo wrote that tapping "Dismiss" would allow the older adapter to be used, but users will see the alert each time they connect the part.

Compatibility list for Apple's new Digital AV Adapter (MD098ZM/A).

Apple released the original $39 Digital AV Adapter alongside the iPad 2 last year, adding HDMI output to for the iPhone 4, fourth-generation iPod touch and the iPad and iPad 2. The accessory features an HDMI port and a Dock passthrough.

MacOtakara also reported that Apple has made changes to the magnetic sensor that interacts with the Smart Cover to put the new iPad to sleep, though Apple's own Smart Covers still work with the device.

"However, since the position or sensitivity of magnetic sensor was changed, 3rd party's cover which has magnetic sleeping feature may not work perfectly," the report read.

Danbo pointed out that Apple has yet to outline the changes in its "Dimensional Drawings" resource on its developer website, so case makers will have to do their own research to identify the exact nature of the changes.

Since the new iPad arrives on Friday, some countries have already begun selling the device. Shortly after the tablet went on sale in Australia, iFixit posted a teardown of the device, revealing a Samsung-built Retina Display and the A5X processor. Apple Stores in the U.S. are set to release the new iPad at 8 a.m. local time.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report notes that attempting to use an old Apple Digital AV Adapter with the new iPad results in an alert that it is "not optimized" for the device, though the accessory still works once the alert is dismissed. Apple also appears to have slightly modified the Smart Cover-compatible magnets on the right side of the iPad, possibly affecting some third-party covers.

I had a similar "not optimized" problem with my 3GS.

The device worked, but I had to dismiss the annoying dialog box.

I really don't understand the "It just works" thing. It is certainly not true.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    I actually JUST got home from setting up the iPad displays and new accessories at the best buy i work at and this is very true. The last-gen is advertised as NOT being compatible with the New iPad. Tomorrow morning though we will have the new AV adapter VERY excited!!

P.S. The screen is absolutely gorgeous especially when reading a book in iBooks. Beautiful gadget.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can't see any difference in the iFixit teardown but I hope they added more magnets. I want to be able to lift the first flap and only the first flap of the Smart Cover to see the weather, time, stocks, calendar, and/or other notifications in a quick glance with iOS 6. I don't that will come true but I can dream.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I really don't understand the "It just works" thing. It is certainly not true.

Dude you realize it's marketing? Things don't always go better with Coke, my Big Mac looks nothing like the commercial, I can't get a date just by using Axe..... But all-in-all Apple does a pretty good job living up to its hype.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Dude you realize it's marketing? Things don't always go better with Coke, my Big Mac looks nothing like the commercial, I can't get a date just by using Axe..... But all-in-all Apple does a pretty good job living up to its hype.

DAMMIT! I was wondering what was going wrong!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

When I go off on ZZZ, others sometimes remind me it's best to ignore . . .
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I've got the new av adapter, but it seems the same as the old one
  • Reply 8 of 19
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I thought there might be changes that weren't absorbed by all the media and reviews so I bought a new cover.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

You do realize that this ZZZ fellow is AI's resident troll. Apple in his mind is the big bad wolf. He rarely has anything positive to say about Apple, always attempting to nit pick their faults. Just ignore him. He won't go away. Just like a bad foot fungus.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I got the new one. It came with my dock the other day. I ordered them with the new iPad. I'm happy Apple was on top of this and didn't sell me the older one. I wonder if the retailers, like WalMart or Best Buys, will try to sell their old shelf stock to people unaware.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    I got the old one with my iPad 2 last year, but haven't used it for months since I got my AppleTV.

As I've got a new AppleTV coming with my new iPad (tracking says "out for delivery" ) I reckon i'll cope with clicking dismiss on the message for the rare occasions I may need to use the adapter rather than shelling out another £35 for the new one.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Yeah - I believed it. I found out quickly when I got my 3GS that it is bullshit.

If you do each and every step exactly the Apple way, things work. Any variation, and things fuck up big time.

My first mistake was when I disconnected the phone in the middle of a sync. It was taking FOREVER to add some music, calculating gapless playback or whtaever the heck it dies. I had to go - I was late. So I disconnected it, figuring it would seamlessly start syncing when I hooked it up again.

Nope - I had to reinstall the OS and completely rip out all the innards just to get the thing to work again.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Yeah - I believed it. I found out quickly when I got my 3GS that it is bullshit.

If you do each and every step exactly the Apple way, things work. Any variation, and things fuck up big time.

My first mistake was when I disconnected the phone in the middle of a sync. It was taking FOREVER to add some music, calculating gapless playback or whtaever the heck it dies. I had to go - I was late. So I disconnected it, figuring it would seamlessly start syncing when I hooked it up again.

Nope - I had to reinstall the OS and completely rip out all the innards just to get the thing to work again.

So it's Apple's fault that you did something incredibly stupid? You intentionally ignored the warnings that say "do not disconnect" and think Apple's to blame? Maybe they should have a robot that ties you up while the device is syncing so that you can't remove it?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 15 of 19
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

[insult removed] I do what you do all the time and never once have I had your problem.

I suspect that you were doing an OS upgrade and you hosed the system due to your incompetance and you make up some crap about failed synch in order to remove blame from yourself only to look like an idiot anyway.

Congrats.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So it's Apple's fault that you did something incredibly stupid? You intentionally ignored the warnings that say "do not disconnect" and think Apple's to blame? Maybe they should have a robot that ties you up while the device is syncing so that you can't remove it?

Maybe they should keep track of what has been downloaded so that they can elegantly resume where it left off.

I really thought that Apple products worked well even if, for example, there was some kind of interruption.

I did NOT think that the phone would get trashed out if, for example, the computer crashed or the plug got pulled while syncing.

I was wrong. It was a harsh lesson that Apple products do NOT "just work". It was my first big disappointment with Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    [insult removed]