Apple's slimmer 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros in production - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    If the new Airs/Pros/MacBooks or whatever they decide to call them are really that slim will there be a limit on the storage? Flash memory is still far from cheap as far as I can fathom.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    Liquid Metal chassis
  • Reply 23 of 109
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And if they add USB 3.0 they can still allow gigabit ethernet with an adapter but I think that is less than ideal, even if they do add another USB port.

thunderbolt.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    I hear you. If WiFi-N is any indication, Gigabit WiFi will probably suck due to the gap between theoretical vs. actual throughput. I haven't used wired Ethernet for my laptops since the G standard, so it is a compromise I'm willing to take.

As for Apple's GigWi implementation, I'll believe it when I see it in the Apple Store.

Quote:

1) That's a complete ratification. I will be surprised if Apple isn't supporting 802.11ac in the next MBPs. Note that Apple supported 802.11n years before it was ratified and that 802.11ac is progressing much more competently and smoothly than 802.11n

2) Even once we get gigabit WiFi it'll still have less security, use more power and be slower due to more overhead than ethernet which makes it a less than ideal solution for those that need a wired connection.

• Reply 25 of 109
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    "1920x1200 displays for 15" "

without bigger police and UI is too little for me.

you really want to kill my eyes, no ?

-

a retina display will allow the same ratio than now for police and the ui and more details in pictures, documents and all.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

thunderbolt.

The adapter would be too expensive thus making it impractical.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    When Jobs announced the iPad, his discussion centered creating something in the middle between a laptop and a smartphone that was better than either. Well now Apple has, in order, the iPhone, the iPad, the MBA and the MBP.

As I see it, the evolution will result in iPhone, iPad, MBP, with iOS and OS X merging for the most part, the iPad becoming almost as powerful as the MBA, and the MBP staying as powerful, but taking on the form factor of MBA.

The technical factor preventing this now is expense and capacity of solid-state drives. Once the capacity increases to say 250GB and the price lowers by a factor of 3-5, the hard drive will become an external optional purchase, and the MBP/MBA will be the same device.

The merged operating system will be iOS X and will run on both devices on both Intel and ARM.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    These things will be "pro" in name only.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

I wonder whether Apple will really drop the ethernet port on a Pro model? I hope not.

Yes, WiFi is pretty fast these days, and yes, the Thunderbolt port can provide wired ethernet. But in office environments WiFi is by no means universally available, and the T'bolt options are very limited.

It seems to me that retaining a gigabit ethernet port of the Pro models would make sense.

Ivy Bridge will bring USB 3.0 support. I suspect that Apple will offer a $29 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter and drop the port from future models. That would be entirely consistent with their history.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

These things will be "pro" in name only.

Care to defend that claim?
  • Reply 31 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That of course means milking my current MBP for a bit longer.

In any event here is what I'm hoping for:
    1. Ethernet, there is no viable replacement got on board Ethernet.

2. Two TB ports. Obviously not a big deal today but if you keep a MBP for five or so years two ports could become very useful.

3. Three USB ports, at least two of which are USB3. Sadly I'm always short on USB ports with iOS devices, USB storage keys, disk drives and the like there are never enough ports.

4. Retina like display.

5. A decent GPU to drive that display. Oh and it needs enough RAM to make it worthwhile.

6. 35 to 45 watt CPU chips of the Ivy Bridge bent. Not that IB makes a big deal if you are using a separate GPU but more OpenCL resources are always nice.

7. Enhanced battery life. This is a big reason for ditching the optical. Share that freed up space between the battery and secondary storage.

8. Ah yes secondary storage. Here I want slots for at least three SSD modules plus a bay for a magnetic drive. In a MBP class machine with no optical this should be easy to do.

9. The base SSD needs to be greater than 256 GB. Frankly I wouldn't complain at all if Apple keep the current price structures to bring us a base SSD of 512GB running on a high speed PCI Express interface.

10. 8GB for base RAM, unless of course they use three channel memory the 12GB of RAM.

11. An internal expansion option for LTE.

Well that is enough. Honestly though by the time I replace my MBP I might consider a desktop if Apple can pull its head out of the dark place and actually design a decent desktop. Why? Because the iPad is a better portable computer for my current needs. My 3 should be here real soon now but I can imagine a vastly improved iPad 4 next year. The question then becomes do I really need two different portables.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    This all looks nice and shiny. However I really do hope and pray, that they ad the option to upgrade up to 16GB Ram.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

2. Two TB ports. Obviously not a big deal today but if you keep a MBP for five or so years two ports could become very useful.

3. Three USB ports, at least two of which are USB3. Sadly I'm always short on USB ports with iOS devices, USB storage keys, disk drives and the like there are never enough ports.

4. Retina like display.

5. A decent GPU to drive that display. Oh and it needs enough RAM to make it worthwhile.

6. 35 to 45 watt CPU chips of the Ivy Bridge bent. Not that IB makes a big deal if you are using a separate GPU but more OpenCL resources are always nice.

7. Enhanced battery life. This is a big reason for ditching the optical. Share that freed up space between the battery and secondary storage.

8. Ah yes secondary storage. Here I want slots for at least three SSD modules plus a bay for a magnetic drive. In a MBP class machine with no optical this should be easy to do.

9. The base SSD needs to be greater than 256 GB. Frankly I wouldn't complain at all if Apple keep the current price structures to bring us a base SSD of 512GB running on a high speed PCI Express interface.

10. 8GB for base RAM, unless of course they use three channel memory the 12GB of RAM.

Well that is enough. Honestly though by the time I replace my MBP I might consider a desktop if Apple can pull its head out of the dark place and actually design a decent desktop. Why? Because the iPad is a better portable computer for my current needs. My 3 should be here real soon now but I can imagine a vastly improved iPad 4 next year. The question then becomes do I really need two different portables.

I like your list, I think many will arrive, think a few are unlikely, and think one is not going to happen. No way 8 GB RAM will be the minimum for a MBP in 2012. I wouldn't expect that until 2014.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

"1920x1200 displays for 15" "

without bigger police and UI is too little for me.

you really want to kill my eyes, no ?

-

a retina display will allow the same ratio than now for police and the ui and more details in pictures, documents and all.

I see you have the same problem with auto correct that I have! 😉😉😁😁

In any event the latest release of Mac OS has pretty much transitioned to resolution independence. I'm fairly certain the next update will release that functionality for the new laptops. The big question is does Apple go for a 2X increase in resolution or do they go with a multiplier like 1.5X. It is an interesting question because of the different trade offs.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Oh, good. We get to hear wizard's endless Apple-hating complaints.

Quote:

1. Really? Why is a Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter not viable?

Quote:

TB is daisy-chainable. Besides, how many devices do you expect to attach routinely to your laptop, anyway?

Quote:

There's something called a hub. Maybe you should ask someone to explain it to you.

Very few people need all that many USB devices in use at the same time.

Quote:

4. Retina like display.

Higher resolution is usually good - although there is a penalty in battery life.

Quote:

And I supposed you get to define that, right?

Quote:

The onboard CPU in IB is important. Most people will find that they're using the discrete CPU only a very small percentage of the time.

Quote:

How often is 7 hours not enough for you?

Quote:

In a laptop? Three SSD modules plus a magnetic drive? That's ridiculous. The number of people who would need that is infinitesimal.

Quote:

And that way you can complain about the price......

You're suggesting 3 SSDs plus a magnetic drive. If you have a large magnetic drive, why in the world is 512 GB necessary for the SSD? All you really need is enough to store the OS and apps. In fact, if they were to go with a separate magnetic drive and SSD configuration, that argues for a SMALLER SSD, not a larger one. 64 (or maybe 128) GB would be plenty if you have a 750 GB magnetic drive.

Quote:

So you have another reason to complain about the price.

Quote:

I don't believe Apple has ever offered cell phone connections internal in their laptops (although there was one prototype on eBay). I don't see any reason to expect that to change. It's easy enough to use a USB dongle for wireless (plus you don't have to stock different MBPs for each different carrier).
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Quote:

I like your list, I think many will arrive, think a few are unlikely, and think one is not going to happen. No way 8 GB RAM will be the minimum for a MBP in 2012. I wouldn't expect that until 2014.

Of all of my hopes above I would think this would be the easiest One for Apple to realize. Especially when you look at Base RAM in the AIRs which I would expect would move to 4GB across all AIRs. Ram is basically dirt cheap these days. I could even see Apple buying up Elipda to own part of the supply chain.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:

I have no need for ethernet, video out, or FW ports on my Mac and have not used any of them in years yet I think all three have a place today, which FW being the weakest argument for retention. ...

I think the key is the Ethernet port as it is the tallest anyway. As long as they don't go all the way to MacBook Air thinness, they will have room for Ethernet and once they can include Ethernet, FireWire, USB etc. are all eminently possible at least from a design perspective. The decision to include one or the other would be political/market driven at that point.

I have no use for laptops at all, especially since iOS, but I think this is shaping up like a fantastic upgrade for pro laptop users. Apple obviously has some cool new battery technology, and possibly some flash storage secrets as well.

I would predict:

- no optical drive

- no hard drive but very large SSD

- VASTLY improved battery life

- much lighter and thinner
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Why not slim down the plastic on the the RJ45 connector and not lose Ethernet? An adapter of that sort would be much cheaper than an adapter made to work through Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    Quote:

Care to defend that claim?

I'm just going on what your mom told me while she was blowing me last night.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

I'm just going on what your mom told me while she was blowing me last night.

Goodbye!