New IPAD question - storage space, display quality of non-hires

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I'm seriously tempted by the new IPAD, but have a few questions. If anyone has had a preview and has some thoughts I'd apprecaite it.

I travel a lot and for long trips I love to load my IPAD with lots of video. While HD is great, if I load everything HD it will take forever, and greatly limit the amount of shows I can bring along. So, my basic question is if I'm still going to use SD not HD video (usually from iTunes), is it worth upgrading?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The new iPad(3) has a display with better color saturation. Even if playing SD video, it will look better on the new iPad.

"Better" is completely subjective though. Some people will say it is worth while other people will say it is not worth it. The only way to know if you will think the difference is significant, is to see one in person.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The new iPad(3) has a display with better color saturation. Even if playing SD video, it will look better on the new iPad.

"Better" is completely subjective though. Some people will say it is worth while other people will say it is not worth it. The only way to know if you will think the difference is significant, is to see one in person.

Thanks!

Though it's really hard to get, pardon the pun, and apples-to-apples comparison at the store. What I'm really looking for is someone who has watched SD video on both the new and old IPAD and can tell if there's a difference?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    There will be some people who say they can tell a difference and some people who say they can't tell a difference.

The question is, which type of person you? The only way to know is to see the comparison yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

There will be some people who say they can tell a difference and some people who say they can't tell a difference.

The question is, which type of person you? The only way to know is to see the comparison yourself.

No, that is silly. The whole point of this board is to get other people's opinions. If someone says they've seen it, better yet a few people, it means someone. Please stop responding as it's not helpful, and helpful responses are possible. The question "have you seen SD on both and do you see a difference" is not some esoteric "gee, nobody can have an opinion as it's all in the eye of the beyolder man" question. Thanks for trying but stop.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Note that telling someone they're wrong while mischaracterizing their position and then asking them not to reply, is not terribly logical. If you don't want to engage someone in conversation, it is better to ignore them than tell them they're wrong.

The point in regard to perceived video quality isn't that "nobody can have an opinion" as you said, but rather that everyone has an opinion and that they are all valid.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Note that telling someone they're wrong while mischaracterizing their position and then asking them not to reply, is not terribly logical. If you don't want to engage someone in conversation, it is better to ignore them than tell them they're wrong.

The point in regard to perceived video quality isn't that "nobody can have an opinion" as you said, but rather that everyone has an opinion and that they are all valid.

I didn't tell you not to reply, I said please (at least the first time).

And I can't believe you are this annoying. If I get several people giving me their opnions on a video quality comparison, it's an interesting input. That's all. Now PLEASE stop so somebody useful can possibly chime in as you're "well it's all relative" is a STUPID comment when I'm explicitly asking for opinions.

Little internet trolls telling everyone what's proper and what's not anonymously get me sick.

Now I'm reposting to be free of your annoying useless comments. PLEASE be respectful and stay off that thread.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cimmerian View Post

No, that is silly.

Claiming otherwise is silly. Your eyes are probably not as good as mine, conversely, mine aren't the absolute best eyes of anyone on the planet. It's what an individual can see, period.

Different people are fine with different things. You wouldn't tell an audiophile he can only listen to 64kbps.

Quote:

The question "have you seen SD on both and do you see a difference" is not some esoteric "gee, nobody can have an opinion as it's all in the eye of the beyolder man" question.

It's almost exactly that, though.

Quote:

And I can't believe you are this annoying.

See, this is how we can tell you're new here. You find a single "superfluous" post annoying.

Quote:

If I get several people giving me their opinions on a video quality comparison, it's an interesting input.

None of which matters in any way to YOU, because they don't see what you see.

Quote:

?I'm explicitly asking for opinions.

I suppose we're more curious as to the why of that rather than being upset or offended you're asking it.

Quote:

Little internet trolls telling everyone what's proper and what's not anonymously get me sick.

Fortunately he's doing the exact opposite of that by telling you that there's no single 'proper' and that everyone will have a different view on the matter, only meaningful to each individual on a personal basis, not as an overarching statement.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Claiming otherwise is silly. Your eyes are probably not as good as mine, conversely, mine aren't the absolute best eyes of anyone on the planet. It's what an individual can see, period.

Different people are fine with different things. You wouldn't tell an audiophile he can only listen to 64kbps.

It's almost exactly that, though.

See, this is how we can tell you're new here. You find a single "superfluous" post annoying.

None of which matters in any way to YOU, because they don't see what you see.

I suppose we're more curious as to the why of that rather than being upset or offended you're asking it.

Fortunately he's doing the exact opposite of that by telling you that there's no single 'proper' and that everyone will have a different view on the matter, only meaningful to each individual on a personal basis, not as an overarching statement.

a) Do you think I think there is only one proper answer?

b) Do you think there is no value in getting several answers from other people who may have had the opportunity I do not have to make the relative comparison?

If you don't answer "no" and "yes" you are idiots. You are already over-intellectual internet bullies with too much time on your hands. Please go away.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

a) Do you think I think there is only one proper answer?

I believe that, by definition, SD stuff will appear clearer when blown up on a higher-res screen when more pixels are jammed into the same area.

I believe that, by definition, this is meaningless if you personally cannot see the difference.

Quote:

b) Do you think there is no value in getting several answers from other people who may have had the opportunity I do not have to make the relative comparison?

I believe there is much less value when the data is not supplemented with further information relative to the situation (either due to the lack of said knowledge by those providing the opinions or having never known it in the first place) and not if the aggregator doesn't have the training to understand said data.

You'll need to know more about the eyes of the people with the opinions, is what I'm saying.

I see what you're trying to achieve, but I'm telling you that it's pretty much moot. Additionally, and this is only partially beside the point, why be a slave to the whims of the majority? What works best for you is what works best for you.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe that, by definition, SD stuff will appear clearer when blown up on a higher-res screen when more pixels are jammed into the same area.

I believe that, by definition, this is meaningless if you personally cannot see the difference.

I believe there is much less value when the data is not supplemented with further information relative to the situation (either due to the lack of said knowledge by those providing the opinions or having never known it in the first place) and not if the aggregator doesn't have the training to understand said data.

You'll need to know more about the eyes of the people with the opinions, is what I'm saying.

I see what you're trying to achieve, but I'm telling you that it's pretty much moot. Additionally, and this is only partially beside the point, why be a slave to the whims of the majority? What works best for you is what works best for you.

You see that was at least a bit useful, thanks.

And I do NOT intend to take others views verbatim, just curious what they think. But a standard internet resonse, almost as bad as "did you read the book?" on Amazon, is informing someone that it would be better to see themselves. Duh. If I had an apples-to-apples (again accidental pun) comparison I'd love to see it myself!

Thanks for trying.