New iPad employs same rear camera as iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

The rear-facing camera featured in Apple's third-generation iPad utilizes the same 5-megapixel CMOS sensor found in the company's iPhone 4 handset.

Engineering analysis firm Chipworks on Friday revealed that Apple's newest iPad features the same imaging sensor as the unit found in the iPhone 4, which was released in June 2010.

Infrared microscope inspection of the chip's die markings shows that Apple's newest tablet uses a 5-megapixel backside-illuminated CMOS sensor made by Omnivision, dubbed the OV5650 (marked as OV290BF).

Omnivision's BSI imager boasts a 1.75 µm pixel pitch and and supports 1080p high-definition video recording at 60 frames per second, which was capped at 720p in the iPhone 4.

As expected, the specifications touted by Apple for the iPad are identical to those of the company's iPhone 4 smartphone. It is unknown at this point whether the optics have been changed for use in the tablet, however it is likely that the configuration is comparable to the Apple handset.

Omnivision OV5650 5-megapixel CMOS sensor. | Source: Chipworks

The new iPad's front-facing camera is also a recycled model which is a carry-over from the units used in the iPad 2 and iPod Nano. Another Omnivision product, the secondary CMOS sensor has a 0.3-megapixel resolution with a 3.0 µm pixel pitch.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    So basically it's still a piece of crap. My iPhone 4 RARELY ever takes a decent picture.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

So basically it's still a piece of crap. My iPhone 4 RARELY ever takes a decent picture.

Nope, the iPad camera is better than the iPhone 4 camera. You are rushing to judgement without knowing all of the facts. That is called being ignorant.

The quality of pictures taken with the new iPad camera lies somewhere between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S camera. The iPad camera has some enhancements which the iPhone 4 camera lacks.

New iPad vs. the iPhone 4

This matchup is the spec equivalent of "pick on somebody your own size." Both devices have five-megapixel sensors, and the new iPad has the technological advantage of featuring a camera module and CPU that are two years newer (which means 1080p video recording). And really, that makes all the difference. The iPad has better low light handling, macro detail capturing, and video recording capabilities than the iPhone 4. And perhaps most surprisingly, it's still less noisy. Winner: iPad
  • Reply 3 of 26
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Why is that a surprise to anyone. Cars use older parts as well on newer models. If it works great, why make a new one?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Well I defiantly don't agree with that as my iPhone 4 has always taken above average pictures. Now the new iPad might have the same sensor but I think there might be something not optimized. I've only managed to take pictures in and around my hospital bed but there seems to be an awful lot of noise. I'll have to wait until I get released and get to go outside to see how it fairs there. Maybe it's that damn perfect screen, you probably will only be able to use Nokia's new Proview 808 with 41MP to be able to view good photos on it.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Either your standard is extremely high for a mobile device, or there's something wrong with your iPhone 4. I've taken some amazing photographs with my iPhone 4. I loved it. And as mentioned before, aside from the loss of that crappy LED flash (the only nice thing I can say about it is that it allows you to take photographs when you wouldn't have been able to take one otherwise), the iPad (3)'s camera features some new features found in the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Isn't it interesting that the phone is the one taking the terrible pictures and not the photographer? I was under the impression that person had control over whether a picture was good or bad.

Though I'm sort of outmoded in my thinking. People don't want to have control over the way they take their pictures these days; they just want the pictures to be subjectively "good", regardless of setting or feasibility and get upset when they're not.

Then there's me, with a 38 year old Nikon film camera, who also has a point and shoot digital and appreciates it for what it does but wouldn't buy another digital unless it has the same level of control as my film camera. I still probably couldn't take astonishingly good pictures, but I at least have the control to do so if I find the perfect scenario.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    The big news from Chipworks is that the A5X has the same feature size (45nm) as the A5.

J.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    sometimes this kind of details are so f*cking freak. Why should I care of such details.

"Johnny la gente está muy loca. WTF!"
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

But the "even newer" iPad will have a GREAT camera! Apple always leaves out at least one thing so people will buy the next gen product.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Considering that the IP4 camera is widely considered quite good, I'd suspect that the problem is with the archer, not the arrow.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    The optics with the IR filter were an iPhone 4S design.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Well I defiantly don't agree with that as my iPhone 4 has always taken above average pictures. Now the new iPad might have the same sensor but I think there might be something not optimized. I've only managed to take pictures in and around my hospital bed but there seems to be an awful lot of noise. I'll have to wait until I get released and get to go outside to see how it fairs there. Maybe it's that damn perfect screen, you probably will only be able to use Nokia's new Proview 808 with 41MP to be able to view good photos on it.

My iphone takes ok shots, but then i have directly compared to the nokia n8, that thing takes some quality shots. Especially when the light gets odwn, the iphone results drop off majory, while the n8 is good.

the new ipad also has new lenses that shouuld improve the result.. but who knows.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Minus HDR, but yes, the same.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

WHAT?!? Wow. If you're not getting good shots out of your iPhone 4, you either have a defective unit, or photography isn't something you're good at.

As a point of reference, I normally shoot with a DSLR (Nikon D7000 / Sony a77). Obviously, a $2,000+ DSLR body & lens is capable of things no phone ever could be... but I love shooting with my iPhone 4 and have no trouble getting excellent results. In fact, when I'm feeling creatively bored with my DSLR, I head out with nothing but my iPhone. The camera on the iPhone 4 is excellent (I've never used a 4S, but I assume that's even better).

In case you're curious... here's my stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    So, the new iPad has the same sensor as the iPhone 4. I can't help wondering if it also has the same optics as the iPhone 4S. It would make sense - buying more of the parts you're already ordering, potentially bringing down costs at the same time.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Isn't it interesting that the phone is the one taking the terrible pictures and not the photographer… I was under the impression that person had control over whether a picture was good or bad.

to a degree yes. Even the best camera in the world will take crap photos if the photographer doesn't know their stuff and uses poor lighting, etc.

But I wouldn't be too quick to bash the user for technique so much as perhaps expectation. These are not 20 MP DSLR cameras after all. They aren't even trying to be. They are trying to be better than the crap cameras you get in your typical flip dumb phone or even smart phone. But there is vast difference between those two worlds.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

So, the new iPad has the same sensor as the iPhone 4. I can't help wondering if it also has the same optics as the iPhone 4S. It would make sense - buying more of the parts you're already ordering, potentially bringing down costs at the same time.

I seem to recall during the event it was said to have the same 5mp sensor of the iPhone 4 but the extra lens element of the 4s giving it an aperture of f2.4 vs f2.8 for better low light performance.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

My iphone takes ok shots, but then i have directly compared to the nokia n8, that thing takes some quality shots. Especially when the light gets odwn, the iphone results drop off majory, while the n8 is good.

the new ipad also has new lenses that shouuld improve the result.. but who knows.

Oh doesn't it though, awesome camera phone. Hey, you know you can now update the N8 to Symbian Belle and it's a must, best Symbian version ever. I have a E7 that I will never sell because it's so great and I just updated it to Belle. Even that camera on the E7 is better then the iPhone 4S or most smart pbones nowadays. I can't wait for the Nokia 808 with the 41 MP. I've had a Nokia Communicator in my life for the last 15 years. I had a smartphone before that name was even made up, way before the iPad. In fact before iOS 4 was released my old Nokia 9510 did everything the iPhone 3G did and much mors.

Still have major love for my first smartphone OS, Symbian and now with Belle there is nothing that the OS still can't do. It's even very nice looking I cant wait for the Nokia Proview 808 now there is a phone I wojld wait in line for.

Americans will never understand our love for Nokia.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Americans will never understand our love for Nokia.

and thanks to Apple, we don't have to
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Wrong. Weil the sensor might be the same between the two cameras, the iPad camer has and extra lens and the IR filter from the 4S. This makes a huge difference. I no longer have an iPhone 4 for comparison but I'm sure by playing with it today that e new camera is a lot better.