First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 141 of 307
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I know you're not talking to me, but this is where I can certainly shed a bit of insight regarding the iPad and poor vision.

I am legally blind. Literally 20/200 with correction (obviously worse without correction). I'm one of those people who've been hoping for years to get true resolution independence on the Mac. Waiting... waiting... waiting...

In my experience, the difference between the screen on the iPad 2 and the new iPad is huge. I suspect that, the worse someone's vision is, the more useful the improved resolution becomes. For someone with poor vision, every little bit of clarity helps. Think of it like a menu at a restaurant. I dread menus with frilly or artsy fonts because they're usually unreadable. Give me something with crisp text and I do better.

So... in my experience... the idea that the new iPad's improved screen is only a benefit to people with excellent vision is very wrong.

Got great vision? You'll love it!

Got poor vision? You'll appreciate it in ways people with great vision are fortunate to not realize.

I'm loving my new iPad. TOTALLY worth the upgrade price. Then again, I was smart about upgrading. I sold my iPad 2 two weeks ago and got more for it than the identical iPad 2 now sells for new. SWEET!

Thanks of sharing, I enjoyed reading your post, I have astigmatism, and as you can understand I can't wait to savour the new display, and appreciate it in ways, as you say that people with great vision are fortunate to not realise. It will help me moderate some of my dissapointment at apple for dropping the ball on resolution independence for so long.
  • Reply 142 of 307
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

By the way, at the retail location where I work what happened is that the 32GB iPad 3 models all sold but the 16GB versions were passed over. I suspect that if Apple had plans to pump out a significant number of 16GB iPads, they may want to rethink that one. With the size of apps growing dramatically to take advantage of the Retina display and with developers sure to bring out progressively more sophisticated (hence larger) programs, 16GB will be perceived as an unacceptable minimum standard. I suppose it's an indication that the tablet is maturing but nonetheless, it could come to be perceived as a flaw in the base iPad 3 that it is trying to get by on only 16GB.

I ll unapologetically tout my own horn again here but I have been expexting and predicting this for the past couple of weeks or so since the leak that the base model would start at 16gb, if they ve already assembled a lot of them they ll have a problem, but they ll also have a problem with dissatisfied customers if they manage to sell a lot of the 16gb iPad 3s, and it will be a lose lose situation for them. They should have expected though that when they sell hd movies at the store, ~1gb textbooks, ~1gb games, tons of apps, music, podcasts, iTunes u, etc. etc. and when the cloud can't possibly cater for all that, that 16gbs would be a joke in this day and age for a tablet. As I said before 2-3 games 2-3 textbooks, one movie and the base model with a few apps thrown in is useless for anything more...

Because I like apple I hope this decision of theirs doesn't come back to bite them in the ass, because google and Samsung are just around the corner with retina displays too and if they get a product with an SD card slot (and they would be colossal morons not to) they can go again look here's something that can store more than just a few games, movies and apps and we don't restrict you in space, cause that's us we give you options and apple doesn't...all enormous garbage marketing lies of course because no market would have existed to begin with had it not been for apple, but still very capable lies based on a concrete disadvantage apple have with their choice to offer such an advanced versatile post pc device with storage options equal to those on launch day a couple of years ago, when every machine of theirs is getting bumps in storage and when retina puts even more demands for storage.

Apple has some pretty clever people working for it, when they don't stick their heads in the sand and they I expect they will bump storage capacities soon, one more reason for not naming this the iPad 3, but the new iPad. Of course by then quite a few people who buy into the 16gb model will feel cheated, others might wait for larger storage models to come soon and slow down sales, and still even more people might opt for alternatives if competitors are quick to the market.

A stupid decision by apple this one, because they didn't need to keep their profit margins as high when competitors are even selling at a loss, and when the profits for the more content they could sell would definitely make up for the added price of more storage (which anyway they get very cheap by virtue of their flash mega deals and pre purchases) and when they aim to dominate tablet markets a la iPod markets.

Now it seems they 've gotten themselves needlessly in a bit of a situation, and it would be a shame to give the androids a helping hand in advancing in a market they singlehandedly created with such a simple gimmick as an sd card slot...
  • Reply 143 of 307
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My iPad display is still not as bright as I'd like.

I think it also might look a little yellowy but that might be because i"m used to my Mac's display.

Still, no complaints. 2048x1536 display is incredible. Text looks great. I'm glad Amazon knew they had to get that Kindle app updated ASAP.

I agree on the very slight yellow. I noticed that when placing the iPad 3 right next to the iPad 2. I was a little disappointed about the brightness as well. I was expecting more POP at any given level. Here are a few other quick observations:

* RealRacing2HD: Some of the animations before the races stutter. While racing, however, it's silky smooth.

* Using Mail, when scrolling through your inboxes, the iPad 2 visually smoother. There is more visual disruption going on with the iPad 3. It's a nitpick but reading v3 text while scrolling is more difficult in some Apps. Not so with web pages.

* Mail, WSJ and text in general: It's much sharper. It also appears like a lighter-weight font is used. So to my eyes, it looks less black, as if there's less contrast. I think the anti-aliasing in the iPad2 makes the text appear beefier and blacker at the expense of fuzziness.

* The pink flower on apple.com is more saturated. Colors in general are more saturated. Words With Friends tiles look yellow on the v3 vs. a slight tinge of orange on the v2.

* HUGE difference in iPhone Apps for the iPad. The ugly pixelation when in 2x is gone.

My son, who has 20/20 vision, went "Wow!" when he turned it on and went exploring. My reaction was a tad less enthusiastic. I can see a big difference, but less than what I was expecting after reading the reviews.
  • Reply 144 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My iPad display is still not as bright as I'd like.

I think it also might look a little yellowy but that might be because i"m used to my Mac's display.

Still, no complaints. 2048x1536 display is incredible. Text looks great. I'm glad Amazon knew they had to get that Kindle app updated ASAP.

My iPad has the same yellowy cast it. Also the color matrix has been changed ( for the worse ).

Play this HD test video on a iPad2 and New iPad then look at the green/blue bar on the right side.... is it blue or purple. if you have a iPhone 4 play the same video and see if it matches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaqe1qesQ8c

Also my iPad really puts out the heat.... big difference in others.

Let me know what you see on yours
  • Reply 145 of 307
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveNash View Post

My iPad has the same yellowy cast it. Also the color matrix has been changed ( for the worse ).

Play this HD test video on a iPad2 and New iPad then look at the green/blue bar on the right side.... is it blue or purple. if you have a iPhone 4 play the same video and see if it matches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaqe1qesQ8c

Also my iPad really puts out the heat.... big difference in others.

Let me know what you see on yours

Wow, that's a great test. The iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are identical but you're right, the vertical green/blue bar on the right side is more purple on the iPad 3.
  • Reply 146 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Wow, that's a great test. The iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are identical but you're right, the vertical green/blue bar on the right side is more purple on the iPad 3.

So your seeing the the same thing as I am. I don't know why they would it but on broadcast cameras there is a color matrix function that when left on it will see that type of blue as purple.

Play some video with people in jeans and you will see the difference and I also noticed the blacks are not true black.
  • Reply 147 of 307
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Indoor:

http://youtu.be/kPynYDjYWSg

Outdoor:

http://youtu.be/C0NSP-g5CaI

I think uploading to YT from the iPad affects the quality- I notice I can not even watch it in anything above 480p, even though I chose to upload HD in the iPad camera. Hmm..

update: YT just takes longer to upload the higher quality on their end.. they're showing up now
  • Reply 148 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Indoor:

http://youtu.be/kPynYDjYWSg

Outdoor:

http://youtu.be/C0NSP-g5CaI

I think uploading to YT from the iPad affects the quality- I notice I can not even watch it in anything above 480p, even though I chose to upload HD in the iPad camera. Hmm..

I see your problem right away... That outdoor clip would be a lot better if there were some "cement chickens" or even "earthenware chickens" in your jardîn!

• Reply 149 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I see your problem right away... That outdoor clip would be a lot better if there were some "cement chickens" or even "earthenware chickens" in your jardîn!

HAHA! my neighbor actually has that terra cotta hen in the garden.. you can see its behind at the top of the screen when I zoom in on the aeonium.. behind the green jade pot
  • Reply 150 of 307
    Quote:

HAHA! my neighbor actually has that terra cotta hen in the garden.. sorry I missed it

Now, the coup de grâce is to have a "ceramic turtle" that sits on a ledge or bench and overlaps both the front and back -- as if it were stranded there at high tide.
  • Reply 151 of 307
    Quote:

HAHA! my neighbor actually has that terra cotta hen in the garden.. you can see its behind at the top of the screen when I zoom in on the aeonium.. behind the green jade pot

A terra cotta hen gives a whole new meaning to Bonsai!
  • Reply 152 of 307
    Quote:

Now, the coup de grâce is to have a "ceramic turtle" that sits on a ledge or bench and overlaps both the front and back -- as if it were stranded there at high tide.

Would a plastic frog and ceramic duck do??
  • Reply 153 of 307

I see two major things happening on a large scale within the next 12 months:

1) all online and web sites will be reworked to exploit the new iPad retina display -- why settle for anything less?

2) many [any] online and web site requiring heavy text input will support the new iPad dictation function -- if only to define text strings that are recognized by the web sites... for navigation and data entry.

This is the next advantage of post-pc individual computing...

If you think the disappearance of mobile Flash was fast... just watch how quickly the iPad way becomes the dominant way... then, the only way to exploit the web!

• Reply 154 of 307
    -I highly recommend the Padlette:

http://www.padlette.com/

-And the smart cover- which I have in tan leather.

-The iPad is SEXY in person. In pictures it always looked rather bloated. It is comfortably thin and the aluminum casing sparkles. The laser engraving is gorgeous.

-Old iPad apps are definitely noticeable. The icons look like images during the Netscape 1.0 days that have yet to reach their final refresh- blurry and pixelated. Pandora updated their app today, and the fonts, logos, and controls are so sharp now compared to before. Surfing the web, everybody is going to have to update their imagery since it is obvious what text is an image and what is actual text, as real text looks like somebody wrote it on the screen with a fountain pen.

-The display is definitely not as bright as I thought it would be- at their highest settings it is noticeably fainter than my 4G iPod touch.

-Time is going by sooooooo fast! It's 7:00 whhaaaaaaa?
  • Reply 155 of 307
    Quote:

Would a plastic frog and ceramic duck do??

Sigh... yes they would...

When we moved to Silicon Valley (job in Palo Alto) in 1973, there were very few houses on the market...

I traveled a lot with IBM and whenever I got back into town I would go house hunting for almost the entire time I was in town.

There was this one house in Los Altos that had a beautiful yard and swimming pool -- but the pool area was littered with all kinds of ceramic planters/animals...

Charlie, an IBM friend was also moving into the area and would accompany my wife and I on house hunting trips...

Each time we got back in town, all the previous houses had been sold -- except this particular house (it was a nice house).

We got to calling it the "cement chicken" house -- even Fran our realtor called it that.

Anyway, we eventually bought a house in Saratoga...

About 6 months later, a fellow IBMer from Las Vegas and Phoenix was promoted to be my new manager in Palo Alto...

Who else... Marv bought the "cement chicken" house!

• Reply 156 of 307
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    I'm very happy with my new iPad. The new display alone with worth the upgrade. Seeing is believing, peeps!
  • Reply 157 of 307
    Quote:

About 6 months later, a fellow IBMer from Las Vegas and Phoenix was promoted to be my new manager in Palo Alto...

Who else... Marv bought the "cement chicken" house!

As somebody that has lived in Las Vegas- that doesn't surprise me one bit.
  • Reply 158 of 307
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Welcome to Appleinsider the only board where when we call you a Douchebag it really means that we love you.

Yeah, that's why when I called a douchebag on here a douchebag he reported me and I got kicked off for a few days. The moderators on here, and attendant complainers, are sometimes ridiculous. When someone is an obvious douchebag, or clueless about what they are talking about, you should be able to be honest with them and let them know.
  • Reply 159 of 307
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

When someone is an obvious douchebag, or clueless about what they are talking about, you should be able to be honest with them and let them know.

And you can do that, just with better words. I don't believe any of us are actually infants and this isn't a schoolyard brouhaha. Civility will always win out over knee-jerk reactions.
  • Reply 160 of 307
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Google Earth is kinda' sucky -- they need to scale the text for the increased resolution -- not particularly fast either...

Guess the GOOG didn't get any special prerelease access to new iPad... I wonder why?

Somewhat off topic, but when aren't I?

At least one developer, the folks that make Jump Desktop, discovered a bug in their program only after receiving an actual, shipping new iPad. The bug did not show up in the SDK simulator and never appeared on the iPad and iPad 2 units running iOS 5.1

They found the bug, and have already submitted the update to Apple. Apple, for their part, has promised a very quick review.

I actually expected more of this to happen, but of all the 190 or so apps installed, this was the only one that I have noticed any issue with so far.

Overall first impression of the new iPad? Freaking awesome!