New York Times removes fabricated Mike Daisey allegations in Apple Chinese factory story

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post

He will be a star on msnbc for sure. I am sure it's your favorite

You're sure? Like Daisey?

Sorry, I don't watch TV channels. Just films.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"Computers do not work that way!"

Wow! Where in the heck did you ever find a picture of my exwife?
  • Reply 63 of 80
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

What a f'n douchebag. The WORST thing he could have ever done for workers rights. In his zeal to smear Apple, one of the better companies, he ruins any chance to draw light on the companies that do need to have a light shined on them.

Well said.

For the complete This American Life retraction see:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play...=460&podcast=1
  • Reply 64 of 80
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

While Daisey is completely responsible for his actions those that jumped on his anti-Apple campaign because it was exciting, seemed impossible for a such a successful company not to be engaging in in child slave labour, sadistic desire to see something successful fail, or whatever the reason are also accountable for giving momentum for what was, at the very least, a sensationalist story with little to no evidence to back up his wild claims.

You mention some very sad and troubling aspects of this story. It really irritates me to see how

easily people can be manipulated to follow a jurk like Daisey. This happens again and again and again in all countries be it right wing or left wing. It's so sad that all these sheepish people refuse to try to think for themselfes.

I actually wonder how those SomeOfUs.org folks think right now. But maybe at the moment you would find some sort of vacuum within their sculls.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

What a f'n douchebag. The WORST thing he could have ever done for workers rights. In his zeal to smear Apple, one of the better companies, he ruins any chance to draw light on the companies that do need to have a light shined on them. Way to go dick head.

How true, what you say. I hope this kind of unfair opportunism will be answered with apropriate punishment. IMHO this kind of mass manipulation, that leads to hatred against individuals, companies or races is still one of the ugliest evils in todays society.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    I'll say it again.

SUE. NOW.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

"I'm an entertainer" is the new liars' rationale. Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Phil, Glen Beck use this lie all the time.

And don't forget Jon Stewart. I have friends that consider him unbiased and an accurate source of news. He is Glen Beck just the other side.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

For every retracted piece they hit on the other 99. Now the Wall Street Journal is one rag that you really have to separate the Op-Eds from the Research reports.

No Newspaper is infallible, but I'll take the Times credibility every day of the week of the WSJ.

I won't even bother with Cable News.

Correct mme if I'm wrong, but Jason Blair used to work for the times?

If reading the paper is now for entertainment, I'll tale the new York Post
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

And don't forget Jon Stewart. I have friends that consider him unbiased and an accurate source of news. He is Glen Beck just the other side.

You can't believe Stewart is like glen beck but on the other side of a political middle???????
  • Reply 70 of 80
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

Unfortunately in today's wired world, stories like Mr Daisey's usually develops a life of it's own because there are so many people who wants to believe them.

Like a politician (who's name I can't remember) said after being cleared of all wrong doing, "Where do I go to get my reputation back?" One thing the Internet has taught me over the many years is that you can always find information that supports anything you choose to believe. Instead of bringing us together the Internet has polarized us. The vile stuff that people post anonymously is truly scary when you consider that it is what they are really thinking but wouldn't say publically. Political Correctness has simply driven people underground. I shudder to think what would happen if our economy and society really came apart at the seams. It would make the carnage of the Civil War look like a Sunday school picnic.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    alr26alr26 Posts: 29member
    Mike Daisey is a FAT FUCKIN TURD!!! The rest of you making this a political issue aren't far behind his mountainous ass!
  • Reply 72 of 80
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Faux news need more guys like this...what a journalists oops i mean entertainer.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is what I've been saying all along. Those douchebag activists are a bunch of lying scumbags and the NYT is a prime example of shitty, liberal journalism.

So I guess you don't understand the difference between the news pages and the opinion pages. The Daisey piece was an Op-Ed piece. Personal opinion...not news...and frequently meant to be funny or sarcastic (although not in this case.)

The fact is that if you read 95% of the NYT news articles without knowing it was the New York Times, you would not be able to tell whether it came from a so-called liberal or conservative newspaper. As just one small example, they ran a front page article last week about how Obama's approval ratings have dropped substantially of late. When the Republican candidates have their individual successes in various primaries, the Times writes pretty comprehensive and IMO, positive articles about those victories. What they write on the editorial pages is a completely different manner, but you obviously don't know the difference.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Don't just blame NY Times. There are dedicated individuals and groups that try to privide fabricated stories to new media. This is a very serious problem and must be very clearly known to the general public that news media and even governments can be victims of these individuals and groups of fabricated facts.

When we watch a movie drama, Hollywood studio will always print a footnote that it is pure fiction. I think this habit should be observed by the news too.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Good for them. They did the right thing.

So was the rest of the piece factual?

Well I think from reading about the FoxConn issue that EVERYONE KNOWS Apple exploits Chinese workers in the worst sweatshop in China.

However the FACT IS, FoxConn has higher standards than the OTHER major manufacturing plants.

Apple has also pushed higher standards, and was the one that blue the whistle on misuse of Hexane and bad practices.

.... so basically, Apple is the ONE company making things better, while every other electronics manufacturer has been lurking in the shadows hiring other people to throw stones.

>> And the "FoxConn suicides" only appear extensive, because there are around 900,000 people at that company. The suicide rate is 3 in 100,000 -- so it's basically less than the average in the US or China.

OTHER than being the opposite of the truth -- I think America has a clear picture here [ROLLS EYES].
  • Reply 76 of 80
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Mike Daisey is a smeghead. fact or dramatization, you decide.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

So I guess you don't understand the difference between the news pages and the opinion pages. The Daisey piece was an Op-Ed piece. Personal opinion...not news...and frequently meant to be funny or sarcastic (although not in this case.)

I'm having trouble understanding why you think that matters.

It's one thing to spin something in an op-ed piece. But it's never acceptable to flat-out lie - regardless of whether it's news or editorial.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    I guess Daisey doesn't really care about the part in the Ten Commandments that says "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."
  • Reply 79 of 80
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned that the mangled hand story is fictitious as well?

There is no way that a worker could have mangled their hand in a metal press, making iPads. Apple uses a unibody process on iPads and MacBooks, which mills the case out of a solid aluminum billet. There is no pressing or stamping involved unlike other metal products for other manufacturers.

These aluminum billets are put into a machine tool, and the hood is enclosed for environmental reasons, before the tool operates. There is no pressing or stamping. Clearly, Daisey didn't know this, and borrowed another story from another factory making someone else's product to embellish his story some more. Another red-handed lie.

Now, I did see on some show, 60 Minutes or other, where Chinese workers were injured in metal-stamping machines, but totally unrelated to Apple. I wonder if Daisey saw the same program.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    New Step by Step Roadmap For garmin Forerunner 305 Before You're Too Late

www.garminforerunner-305.org