Mountain of iPad pre-orders cause shipment delays

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    Maybe ups is better mine is being delivered Monday two days ahead of schedule left Ontario ca today I'm in 93101 can't wait 64gb black AT&T coming my way
  • Reply 42 of 121
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flydoggie View Post

The driver is not required to leave the package if there is a risk the package will be damaged (e.g., rain) or stolen.

As I recall they are mandated to not leave a package if there is risk of damage or lost. If they do and something happens they can lose their jobs.
  • Reply 43 of 121
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Hey old man, this is not about getting something "right now".

This is about promise and customer experience.

We were promised Mar 16 delivery on the order page and also on the Fedex tracking page.

And FedEx failed. So call and demand you get your shipping fee back.

oh wait, you didn't pay one. so now what, you sue for $1 mill for the emotional distress of having to wait one more day.
  • Reply 44 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

In my opinion....

I'd take it as Tim Cook was the right guy to exact Steve's vision.

There is such a huge paradigm shift happening right now in computing. I don't think we all really can comprehend how HUGE tablet computing is going to be.

Job's knew where the industry would be in "x" years and HAD to have a guy he was sure would make supply would meet demand.

Cook's supply chain mastery (and leadership) + ive's design discipline + Forstall's ego = Job's master plan.

Thanks Steve, my Apple stock is gonna pay for my children's college.

Poor Bob Mansfield. All he did was give us retina display. Yet he gets no love.
  • Reply 45 of 121
    baylabbaylab Posts: 9member
    Got mine delivered at about 6:45 PM. Package trace showed it as being on the truck for delivery from 8:00 AM. The UPS delivery guy said his truck was nearly full of iPads and he still had 30 more deliveries to do after mine. Lots of hard work getting these units into people's hands.

Oh, I live in a small city on an island on the west coast of Canada.

I also ordered an Apple TV same day but it won't be delivered until next Wednesday. No idea why it is taking so long other than the lower price/margin.
  • Reply 46 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    After reading all these delivery stories and seeing how much stock the stores seem to have they really have produced a phenomenal number of units for this first day on the market. My battery was 1t 83% when I turned it on. I wonder if we can infer when units were packed up based on remaining battery life.

Could Apple actually sell more the 4 million iPhones 4Ses they sold in its debut weekend?
  • Reply 47 of 121
    dancxgdancxg Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you know how many deliveries in total he did today?

I'll ask him when I see him on Sunday, but he was pretty amazed at the number he had.
  • Reply 48 of 121
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

After reading all these delivery stories and seeing how much stock the stores seem to have they really have produced a phenomenal number of units for this first day on the market. My battery was 1t 83% when I turned it on. I wonder if we can infer when units were packed up based on remaining battery life.

Could Apple actually sell more the 4 million iPhones 4Ses they sold in its debut weekend?

Mine was around the same, like 85% I think. It took quite a while to charge up though.

Mine arrived via UPS just after 5PM, after being out for delivery for 10 hours. Prior to that it had been at the arrival facility around 3am.

The SIM card however still didn't arrive, and according to the tracker is still in Ontario.

Meanwhile someone I know went to the Apple store closest to me and waited in line and got theirs within an hour, and the store had sold out of the 32GB and 64GB models.
  • Reply 49 of 121
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

yeah, cuz the "real" christmas is so much more, uh, profound.
  • Reply 50 of 121
    Quote:

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

Then please, tell me, why are you here my good fellow?
  • Reply 51 of 121
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

You must be so much better as a person.

Congratulate yourself with that.

Had any fun lately?

J.
  • Reply 52 of 121
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

I agree... but it's hard to explain this to the children. You see how upset some of them get.
  • Reply 53 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I agree... but it's hard to explain this to the children. You see how upset some of them get.

Any fun lately?

J.
  • Reply 54 of 121
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Any fun lately?

J.

Yes, I'm not complaining, thank you very much... not the sort of standing in queue with a bunch of idlers, or biting my nails while waiting for delivery at home, though...
  • Reply 55 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Yes, I'm not complaining, thank you very much... not the sort of standing in queue with a bunch of idlers, or biting my nails while waiting for delivery at home, though...

Ok that's good to hear.

I'm currently not waiting either, but that's because I can't order a new iPad in this part of the world right now.

But I enjoy reading the comments here, because I can identify with them.

It's nice to actually want something and feel anticipation, It makes you feel alive.

J.
  • Reply 56 of 121
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microfud View Post

I got my iPad today via UPS. The delivery guy said they are so overwhelmed that they're planning to continue delivering into Saturday. It's worth noting that UPS normally only delivers Monday - Friday.

yeah, my UPS guy said the same thing. The screen is magnificent and the dictation feature really works well - so far. Still wish the OS would permit bulk deletions of emails though.
  • Reply 57 of 121
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    Well, I went to the Apple store in Fukuoka for the launch. I got there before 10:00 pm Thursday night, as I was approaching, I could see lots of people out the store but when I got closer I found out there were only 7 customers and apple staff passing out coffee. So I went to an Isakaya and came back by midnight, still only 12 ppl. I went to the coffee shop across the store and stood there until 4:00 am because they closed. There were already 20 ppl in line so I took my place. Most of the ppl were bloggers and journalists. 7:00 am store staff explained the procedure, offered coffee and passed the tickets. We were split in two lanes, one for 4G and Wi-Fi. Befor 7:30 started to rain and we were provided with unberellas by the Apple store. At 8:00 we was about 100 and the store opened. They was prepared with lots of iPads, more than those needed I thought.

When I got home, my friend who works in Kuro Neko (like UPS) said they started delivering on the 15th afternoon, and on 16th his truck was 90% iPads.

Online orders still 2-3 weeks.

At the store a felt like there is not much demand as in previous devices launch but it migh be just improved production.

Cheers for that!
  • Reply 58 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michael_bluth View Post

thought i would get mine today. signed the pre-authorization and stuck it to the door. fedex guy voided it and left a delivery notice. if fedex won't accept the pre-authorization, why was it made available? guess i am stuck at home tomorrow.

Because the pre-authorization doesn't override the shipper's rules.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

My brother in law delivered 35 today. When I asked him if he had ever delivered 35 of the same item to different houses before he said "no, not even for big game/movie releases."

Funny, so he delivered more $500 iPads than $25 Harry Potter books. That tells the whole story there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

Interesting how Apple has sort of inverted the issue since the iPad 2 launch. There was no pre-order for the iPad 2 that got you a device on the launch day. So... GIANT lines at all the stores and very long waits. This time, pre-order was available right after announcement with the promise of delivery on launch day and the shipping infrastructure can't quite handle it, yet the lines at stores were shorter, and you can just go pick one up.

And that also allows the analysts to make fools of themselves by talking about how much shorter the lines are this time.
  • Reply 59 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Hey old man, this is not about getting something "right now".

This is about promise and customer experience.

We were promised Mar 16 delivery on the order page and also on the Fedex tracking page.

We made arrangement based on this promise, but at the end we lost a whole day because of their bad arrangement.

This is a valid complaint.

It may be a valid complaint. But to post it on the web? If everyone who was inconvenienced by late deliveries or late appointments posted a comment in the web it would collapse. I'm also waiting for mine. I will do the same thing I do for any other scheduled delivery. Live my life as I choose and when I get a slip on my front door, make arrangements accordingly.
  • Reply 60 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

It may be a valid complaint. But to post it on the web? If everyone who was inconvenienced by late deliveries or late appointments posted a comment in the web it would collapse. I'm also waiting for mine. I will do the same thing I do for any other scheduled delivery. Live my life as I choose and when I get a slip on my front door, make arrangements accordingly.

Exactly!

Do what they do in China, when it rains… Let it rain!