Mountain of iPad pre-orders cause shipment delays

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    FedEx made a bulk delivery to my office. Apparently a ton of people in my office building preordered. I guess the pre ordering and past history gave apple some clue as to what to expect in terms of demand and to stock the stores accordingly.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apple, creating jobs for American workers.

More UPS/Fedex employees equal faster deliveries.

Now there's an interesting infographic I'd like to see - spike in # of Fedex/UPS deliveries in the first week of an Apple product launch.
  • Reply 63 of 121
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

It may be a valid complaint. But to post it on the web? If everyone who was inconvenienced by late deliveries or late appointments posted a comment in the web it would collapse...

Posting random complaints... on the web? Inconceivable!

The web is a limited resource. We should use it sparingly, lest it collapse.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Hey old man, this is not about getting something "right now".

This is about promise and customer experience.

We were promised Mar 16 delivery on the order page and also on the Fedex tracking page.

We made arrangement based on this promise, but at the end we lost a whole day because of their bad arrangement.

This is a valid complaint.

You were "promised"? Did Tim Cook cross his heart and hope to die, and stick a needle in his eye? No, this is a totally invalid complaint which smacks of a lack of realism and absence of understanding of how the world works. This may sound mean but it's actually sound advice - you really need to get a grip.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

FedEx made a bulk delivery to my office. Apparently a ton of people in my office building preordered. I guess the pre ordering and past history gave apple some clue as to what to expect in terms of demand and to stock the stores accordingly.

I can imagine a scenario in which all but one person in your office receiving their new iPads at the same time. Imagine the poor sod.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Exactly!

Do what they do in China, when it rains? Let it rain!

Actually, for the Olympics, China didn't just let it rain. First, they made it rain, and then they didn't let it rain.
  • Reply 67 of 121
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I can imagine a scenario in which all but one person in your office receiving their new iPads at the same time. Imagine the poor sod.

Wow, that's some wild imagination right there! /s
  • Reply 68 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And FedEx failed. So call and demand you get your shipping fee back.

oh wait, you didn't pay one. so now what, you sue for $1 mill for the emotional distress of having to wait one more day.

That's not true. It's spread out over the cost of the item.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

Joie de vivre.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You were "promised"? Did Tim Cook cross his heart and hope to die, and stick a needle in his eye? No, this is a totally invalid complaint which smacks of a lack of realism and absence of understanding of how the world works. This may sound mean but it's actually sound advice - you really need to get a grip.

When people say they are going to do something, people expect it done. They do not want excuses. They just want you to do what you say. The note said delivered by not estimated delivery....

Be careful what you say. Expectations are everything
  • Reply 71 of 121
    cferrycferry Posts: 26member
    My new iPad left Ontario overnight, visiting Winnipeg and Calgary as briefly as possible before arriving in Richmond BC (location of YVR, Vancouver International Airport). Presumably it has been loaded on a truck for delivery today.

I've never seen a UPS shipment from Ontario to BC stop twice along the way. This makes me wonder whether this is a special flight and whether the entire plane is loaded with palettes of iPads.

I'll ask Brown how many iPads are in the truck today.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

When people say they are going to do something, people expect it done. They do not want excuses. They just want you to do what you say. The note said delivered by not estimated delivery....

Be careful what you say. Expectations are everything

You might want to check your terms of service. No one promised you delivery on a given date. Apple's terms state that they are not responsible for delivery delays and UPS and Fedex's terms state that delivery dates are not guaranteed in most cases.

You simply assumed that because they gave you an estimated ship date that it was guaranteed (or promised). That's not the case.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    You guys should have just bought yours yesterday or this morning. Everyone I know who wanted one got theirs. Except one she went in for an iPad and came out with a Motorola Xoom 2. They were having a special on it, yea no kidding. No she really wanted a tablet with an active digitizer pen. She works as a police sketch artist to make extra money plus she's an awsome artist so I can see why she chose the Motorola. I would have waited for the new Samsung Note 10.1 if it was my money. Though the built quality on the Xoom 2 is pretty exceptional.

Sure there were lines but if you really wanted one waiting in a line for something you want is always a good reason. Plus you get to meet other people who are just as excited.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    If you live in a big city like I do just go to best buy as we got ours last night (of launch day) and it was pretty easy.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Mine was dropped off a little after 6:30 p.m. yesterday. The UPS guy said he'd delivered "over 100" iPads before he got to me...he was mildly irritated that they all required time-consuming signatures.

Even more amazing was that he said the local (San Diego) distribution center processed 15,000 iPads for delivery yesterday!

Further, he claimed they'd been warehousing them since Tuesday...awaiting delivery on Friday. Actually, I don't know whether to believe that or not since I hadn't seen anyone online reporting their online tracking was reflecting a warehousing delay.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Mine was dropped off a little after 6:30 p.m. yesterday. The UPS guy said he'd delivered "over 100" iPads before he got to me...he was mildly irritated that they all required time-consuming signatures.

Even more amazing was that he said the local (San Diego) distribution center processed 15,000 iPads for delivery yesterday!

Further, he claimed they'd been warehousing them since Tuesday...awaiting delivery on Friday. Actually, I don't know whether to believe that or not since I hadn't seen anyone online reporting their online tracking was reflecting a warehousing delay.

It was probably an agreement made with Apple prior. I'm sure they do this stuff all the time.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It was probably an agreement made with Apple prior. I'm sure they do this stuff all the time.

If the story is true, the ones in the warehouses are likely for the stores. It's hard to imagine a scenario where someone orders a specific configuration, an Apple or UPS employee looks through the ones in the UPS warehouse to find a matching box, add necessary accessories and then arranges for shipment to the customer. If the population near a specific warehouse does not place orders so as to match the assortment of configurations pre-stored therein, that warehouse would carry excess inventory for a while, for which UPS would charge Apple.

Not impossible but unlikely scenario given how logistics normally works.
  • Reply 78 of 121
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

A friend of ours has worked for FedEx as a delivery driver for 20+ years. He said that FedEx has a fulfillment service. They keep many popular items in stock in various regions which allows them to process orders and deliver next day. So they definitely have the capacity to warehouse stuff. Perhaps UPS is the same. iPads are packaged 10 to a box, I believe, at least that is how the last ones were shipped. What sort of packaging were the ones delivered at home in?
  • Reply 79 of 121
    I cannot believe that Apple would use UPS Ground to ship my iPad. The first delivery attempt will not be until Monday and I cannot go to local depot and get it. This has been the worst pre-order that Apple has ever done. Even a Saturday delivery would have been better then having to wait till Monday. The bad thing is I could not cancel the order because it had been shipped so that prevented me from going to AT&T or Best Buy to get one. Worst Apple day yet.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theredmacdaddy View Post

I cannot believe that Apple would use UPS Ground to ship my iPad. The first delivery attempt will not be until Monday and I cannot go to local depot and get it. This has been the worst pre-order that Apple has ever done. Even a Saturday delivery would have been better then having to wait till Monday.

So what're you going to do about it? You got free shipping, so you can't exactly get a refund.

Quote:

The bad thing is I could not cancel the order because it had been shipped so that prevented me from going to AT&T or Best Buy to get one.

You certainly couldn't have gone to one of those stores, purchased one, and then returned the UPS-shipped one once you got it. That's totally not an option.