New iPad employs same rear camera as iPhone 4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new iPad's front-facing camera is also a recycled model which is a carry-over from the units used in the iPad 2 and iPod Nano. Another Omnivision product, the secondary CMOS sensor has a 0.3-megapixel resolution with a 3.0 µm pixel pitch.

Since when did the iPod Nano have a camera? Do you mean iPod Touch?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I seem to recall during the event it was said to have the same 5mp sensor of the iPhone 4 but the extra lens element of the 4s giving it an aperture of f2.4 vs f2.8 for better low light performance.

This is correct. The difference between f2.8 and f2.4 is half a stop, so the iPad can let in 50% more light than the iPhone4.

I have an iPhone4, and the camera feature of the 4S that I crave is the f2 aperture, not the megapixel count. 5mp is fine for me.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by complicity View Post

Since when did the iPod Nano have a camera? Do you mean iPod Touch?

Could be referring to the iPod nano 4th generation, which took decent videos as long as you kept your viewing on small screens.

I'm hoping they'll add it to the new square nano. A pair of those will be fantastic for 3D, but again only for the small screen.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

So basically it's still a piece of crap. My iPhone 4 RARELY ever takes a decent picture.

That's odd. The iPhone 4's camera is superb.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    But it also has the 5 element lens and hybrid IR filter? The 4 didn't have those things, right? So its the sensor of the 4 with the new optics of the 4S?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    I posted this in the "First Look" article but it applies here as well:

I am quite impressed with the new iPhoto app. Here's an example of some before and after shots I took on my new iPad. The combination of iPhoto's image editing capabilities and the iPad improved built-in camera make this device a very desirable experience!

Before

After