Mountain of iPad pre-orders cause shipment delays

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

To me it seems like much more of a limitation on shipping logistics rather than an inventory quantity issue. All the FedEx and UPS trucks in the country don't seem to be sufficient to deliver all that were preordered for launch day delivery. What difference would it have made if Apple put another 100,000 units available for launch day delivery since there is already trouble getting the current batch delivered?

Well, none of us have the numbers (online pre-orders vs. units sold at the retail outlets) so it's all speculation on our part. What we do know is that the physical retail stores have 'em in stock while the online pre-orders are now running weeks behind. This thread has a few people unhappy about the delayed deliveries - including an estimated delivery date of April 11 although the iPads were ordered on the announcement date.

I can't really blame Apple for this because forecasting demand is at best an educated guess - even with all the data-mining and exhaustive analysis of past metrics. It's also very likely that Apple may have excess number of WiFi-only 16GB model in black but not enough of, say, the 32GB LTE model for AT&T in white, etc. No one will ever forecast these numbers right. The best Apple or anyone can do is try to get it as close as possible and quickly adapt to what's really taking place in the marketplace.
  • Reply 102 of 121
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Well, none of us have the numbers (online pre-orders vs. units sold at the retail outlets) so it's all speculation on our part. What we do know is that the physical retail stores have 'em in stock while the online pre-orders are now running weeks behind. This thread has a few people unhappy about the delayed deliveries - including an estimated delivery date of April 11 although the iPads were ordered on the announcement date.

I can't really blame Apple for this because forecasting demand is at best an educated guess - even with all the data-mining and exhaustive analysis of past metrics. It's also very likely that Apple may have excess number of WiFi-only 16GB model in black but not enough of, say, the 32GB LTE model for AT&T in white, etc. No one will ever forecast these numbers right. The best Apple or anyone can do is try to get it as close as possible and quickly adapt to what's really taking place in the marketplace.

I'd just go to the Apple store and pick one up and cancel my online order if I had to wait unitl 4/11.
  • Reply 103 of 121
    I didn't get it yesterday as scheduled (via FedEx). We called Apple customer support today around 8:30am and talked with 'Siri'. She (?) actually did a lot... asked for our name, order number, tracking number and so on then finally ended up with connecting us to live person in Texas support center. The lady seemed to be pretty much aware of the delivery mess and helped us to make sure that it would delivered today. She also offered a freebee as a compensation for the delay. I guess Apple prepared for this freebee to everyone who complained to this delivery issue.

It was delivered today around 1:30pm. FedEx guy seemed pretty exhausted by the way.
  • Reply 104 of 121
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    mine (in Singapore) was delivered by DHL, seems unsurprising, except that it was delivered by a DHL guy in his own car on a Sunday afternoon! I guess they had so many to send out they just press ganged everyone they could into running them around and got people to deliver to the streets near where they lived.

Very nice it is too and quite a surprise, I had set myself up to expect it only on Monday. Thanks DHL.
  • Reply 105 of 121
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

A child who does not play is not a child, but the man who does not play has lost forever the child who lived in him. - Pablo Neruda
  • Reply 106 of 121
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

I mostly agree, though one thing I've noticed through the years is that "complaints" usually appear more intense and formal when they are written down and presented. I might be excited to receive a package in the mail, and might mock my own eagerness and silly anxiety, but the reason I don't share that concern with anybody is because...it is rare that there are other people who are ordering the same thing at the same time. More, if I presented that complaint in person to a friend, we'd probably joke about it. The written word acquires a kind of formality and stark seriousness that only efficient writers are able to overcome...so earnestness about one's package being late comes off as overindulgence when expressed "on paper." It's similar to how one can completely misrepresent oneself on facebook simply by having a primary photo of oneself holding a beer. Your friends might know you are not a drinker, but to anyone else you might be perceived as a drunk. Similarly, my friend might be a laid back guy and not materialistic at all...but if he is wondering about his package arriving, the written word might make his curiosity come off as formal demand and intense preoccupation. On paper it might seem like everyone is demanding a product, but when I look around me in real life, all I see is mutual excitement...and most of those people mock their own enthusiasm because they KNOW they come off looking like kids on Christmas day.
  • Reply 107 of 121
    olafolaf Posts: 2member
    Our iPad arrived inthe USA (Anchorage) at 10:35 pm EDT Saturday for scheduled Monday delivery!
  • Reply 108 of 121
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Do you think that if Steve Jobs was still around, the new iPad would be identically the same size as the iPad 2? Would he have allowed it to grow slightly thicker? Just wondering. The miniscule amount is negligable in reality.
  • Reply 109 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Do you think that if Steve Jobs was still around, the new iPad would be identically the same size as the iPad 2? Would he have allowed it to grow slightly thicker? Just wondering. The miniscule amount is negligable in reality.

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

As we've seen from the first to the second iPads the display size stayed the same so Jobs clearly was fine with the same size between releases. More to the point, when you have a non-windowed OS you need to keep the display the same size.

Yes, Jobs would be fine with it getting thicker because Jobs was part of the 3rd gen iPad's creation. He would have green lighted these options before he stepped down as CEO. But you don't have to take my word for that, you can just look back on the history of the iPhone to see that the 2nd and 3rd gen were thicker than the original iPhone. You can also see that the iPHone has gotten heavier several times over it's short existence.

Does Apple like to make things thinner whenever possible? Sure, but to improve the user experience, not to deprove it. Adding the Retina Display was a goal this time around and having a larger battery was a requirement for that to happen. If the size and weight doesn't outwigh the display for you then there is always the iPad 2.
  • Reply 110 of 121
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    That extra .030 of an inch in thickness and 1.1 ounces more in weight I'm sorry apple is doomed!!!!

• Reply 111 of 121
    I was on the phone with FedEx at around 2pm PT after I saw the delivery exception on the tracking website. The FedEx agent said that they had a special arrangement with Apple to attempt to deliver as many packages until 8pm on Friday, and then that if they didn't deliver mine by then they would try to deliver on Saturday. I was pretty annoyed to hear the news that I might be getting my iPad on Saturday (but really, it's not the end of the world, I'm not going to act like it is worse than it really is). Then while on the phone I got a knock on the door... it was FedEx with my iPad *before* the 3pm time (even though the system showed a delivery exception). Go figure.
  • Reply 112 of 121
    Went to the local Apple store at 10:45 this morning - stood in line with three other people until 11:00 am (by then - the line was about 20 people). They had plenty of the New iPads available in all configurations. Talked to a few of the employees who said that this was the most well stocked launch since the iPhone 3GS. According to them, they have sold "tons" and still have plenty available. I figured I would just be looking today and ordering on line (and getting the iPad in a few weeks).
  • Reply 113 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I'm certain the new iPad was most likely near finalized from an engineering perspective before Steve passed on.

If he was opposed, I don't think Tim Cook would have released it.

Same for the next iPhone.
  • Reply 114 of 121
    I ordered mine late, so I got an original estimate from Apple saying ships by Mar 19 and arrives the 26th I thought it'd be Fed Ex because I ordered a smart cover along with and that arrived via Fed Ex on the 16th.

Then I got the email telling me the iPad had shipped as well, via UPS with an estimated delivery of 10:30 am on the 19th (today!). Knowing I'd be at work then, I tried whatever I could to get them to just hold onto the package since my employer is located very close to UPS's local sorting center. They told me they had to fail to deliver it first and only then could I pick it up which would have meant hanging around after work until it made its way back to their facility. Anyway they wound up beating their delivery time by 45 minutes AND they left it with my landlord so I'll be able to pick it up right when I get home in like four and a half hours.

Anyway UPS did a hell of a job getting it here, but their customer service is weak.
  • Reply 115 of 121
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'd just go to the Apple store and pick one up and cancel my online order if I had to wait unitl 4/11.

Really I was thinking the same thing. Don't the Apple stores have them in stock or is it a case of none to be found anywhere?
  • Reply 116 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Good thoughts to you!

I had an auto accident in 1971 that resulted in surgery... and morphine...

Wow, what a warm, comfortable feeling -- like returning to the womb! I can certainly understand how it is addicting...

...there's a hole in Daddy's arm, where all the money goes...

Oh thank you, it's tough because I'm not completely closed up as they have to do multiple surgeries. Sorry if I grossed anyone out. I think the toughest part is watching my family and friends go threw this too. I'm constantly bounced between my room and the ICU and that's tough to see. Thank goodness for these tablets though right. Even though I'm covered head to toe with things in me I can still reach out to the world. Your situation must have been mind numbing, just laying there in the early 70's with no internet, nooooooo. Well at least you were high, the pain medication sure does help. I can't sleep on it though, but I guess tripping half the time is also like dreaming.
  • Reply 117 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newton2100 View Post

I didn't get it yesterday as scheduled (via FedEx). We called Apple customer support today around 8:30am and talked with 'Siri'. She (?) actually did a lot... asked for our name, order number, tracking number and so on then finally ended up with connecting us to live person in Texas support center. The lady seemed to be pretty much aware of the delivery mess and helped us to make sure that it would delivered today. She also offered a freebee as a compensation for the delay. I guess Apple prepared for this freebee to everyone who complained to this delivery issue.

It was delivered today around 1:30pm. FedEx guy seemed pretty exhausted by the way.

what was the freebee?
  • Reply 118 of 121
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh thank you, it's tough because I'm not completely closed up as they have to do multiple surgeries. Sorry if I grossed anyone out. I think the toughest part is watching my family and friends go threw this too. I'm constantly bounced between my room and the ICU and that's tough to see. Thank goodness for these tablets though right. Even though I'm covered head to toe with things in me I can still reach out to the world. Your situation must have been mind numbing, just laying there in the early 70's with no internet, nooooooo. Well at least you were high, the pain medication sure does help. I can't sleep on it though, but I guess tripping half the time is also like dreaming.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery-- good that you have family and friends there with you.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

You have a helluva family! Hope you feel better soon!

They are the best but I have this feeling that I'll be paying them back for the rest of my life. Remember that time when we bought you that iPad. Sorry mommy no mothers day card remember that time we bought you an iPad. Then of course there is the sorry sweety I have a headache, with the fast reply remember the time I bought you that iPad. Yeah, who really wins here, though I do like the higher resolution.
  • Reply 120 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theredmacdaddy View Post

I cannot believe that Apple would use UPS Ground to ship my iPad. The first delivery attempt will not be until Monday and I cannot go to local depot and get it. This has been the worst pre-order that Apple has ever done. Even a Saturday delivery would have been better then having to wait till Monday. The bad thing is I could not cancel the order because it had been shipped so that prevented me from going to AT&T or Best Buy to get one. Worst Apple day yet.

Well next time upgrade to a faster delivery method. Is there still time to cancel your order, plenty of iPads left at the Apple store.